Long Term Runny Nose for a 1 Year Old

My daughter just turned one on Nov 3rd. She has had a runny nose for most of the past two and 1/2 months, almost 3 months. I thought it might have been back to back colds. I realize that could happen because of teething. It just seems never ending. I have been giving her Tylenol Runny Nose and cough. It ends up being one or two doses most days. I try to go entire days without if it's not as extreme that day. My doctors are on vacation till next week which is when I have an appointment. My request is for any input from anyone who has had a child with a runny nose for this long, what did the doctor say if you took them, and are there any other suggestions for temorary relief for her. I don't like continually giving over the counter medicine. (I'm a mom who does not run to the doctor very quickly. I believe things will run their course and there's probably not much a doctor can do, so I don't want to waste mine or their time.)

My son (3) has had a runny nose for most of his little life. He has only had 1 ear infection at 2 1/2. My pediatrician said that he could have enlarged adnoids which could result in congestion, runny nose etc. When I was a kid...they removed the adnoids (mine included)...but the thinking has changed...and unless it's affecting their sleep to the point where they are sleepy throughout the day, can't concentrate etc...they leave them alone. The adnoids (from what I am told) will decrease in size as the child ages....and become no longer a problem. I know the constant runny nose gets really old really fast. Hope you find some answers.

My little guy is 17 months old and he had a runny nose most of last winter and he just started up this winter already! He is in daycare and from what I have heard it is pretty normal for daycare kids to have constantly runny noses. He doesn't seem sick and he doesn't have a bad cough. I just keep wiping it! As long as he is running all over and in a good mood I don't worry about it and I don't give him any medicine.

When he did have a bad cough last winter the doctor gave him a nebulizer with medicine for that, but nothting for the runny nose.

It could be an allergy . . .food or environmental. My son had a lingering cough for a long time which made us look at foods that he might be allergic to.

It turned out that he was allergic to things we were giving him almost every day.

I read Dr Doris Rapp's book "Is This Your Child?" and he had several symptoms of food allergies. And we ended up doing a food elimination diet on him. It worked and he eventually out-grew some of the food allergies (hooray!).

But, you're right, it could be teeth or anything that our kids pick up (literally and figuratively).

If you have any questions about the elimination diet, send me a message.

My one twin has had running nose for 2 months. (First of all my twins were born very early, so they have a very weak immune system). But we ended up taking them in the doctor last week because to me this was way too long. We find out they both had a double ear infection. I had no clue, since they had no fever, they were sleeping and eating and not pulling on their ear. But it makes sense with all the fluid. So yes I would go to the doctor.

Unless there is a fever or ALOT of discomfort, please stop giving her meds. If she is in a daycare situation this may be back to back colds for which a baby under the age of thirty six months the only treatment for is fluids, cool mist humidifier and maybe nasal saline to loosen things up. It could be a sinus infection. Benedryl should not be given to children under age 3 unless allergic reaction occurs. The runny nose may bother you more than her. Also when you go to the doctor ask about allergies as this can be the cause of a chronic runny nose and RAST testing may be in order. If a child has a fever more than 3 days, symptoms for more than 2 weeks, change of how they act either sleepy, whiny, unable to sleep call the doctor right away. I know you don't want to run to the doctor, but it will prevent your child from something getting to far. Kids have an approach to illness sort of like a hill leading to a cliff, it may come on slow, but when they start to deteriorate it goes over the cliff and they go down fast. Use Tylenol and Motrin carefully as you need to make sure it works when you need it and that you don't hurt the developing liver or kidneys.

D.,
STOP GIVING HER THE MULTI SYMPTOM COLD MEDICINE. They are dangerious for all children under the age of 2. They don't even make a multi symptom cold medicine for children under 2 anymore (read the bottle). Studies have also found that multi symptom cold medicines are not effective for children under the age of 12 (they are effective for teens & adults). You should only give Tylenol or Motrin if they have a fever & never the multi symptom formula. You need to take her to the Dr. when they are back from vacation. I'm also not a big fan of going to the Dr., but when something lasts more than 2 weeks you have to have it checked out.

Our child was what I called a 'snot faucet' last winter. Since you are a full time teacher, I'm going to assume that not only do you come into contact with many students on a daily basis and can bring home germs/illness but your child also receives some sort of care either in-home or center.

A quick trip to the pediatrician where you ask all your questions and get answers may be just what you need to determine whether this is normal (sure sounds like it to me) or there are other underlying issues.

My 3 year old son we found out had 12 undiagnosed food allergies - even after going to an allergist - who only tested him for two (just happened to be two he DIDN'T have).

We took him to an NAET specialist - its an allergy elimination technique that not only tests (through the parents if a kid) for MANY MANY more possibile allergens - my son tested 90 different food - but then ELIMINATES it. It is pretty amazing.

My son would always get a runny nose - and then it would turn into an asthmatic reaction. Since he has gotten rid of many different allergies - including corn, wheat, gluten, yeast, corn, sugars, food preservatives and coloring - he doesn't even need to be on allergy meds or the nebulizer anymore.

Also my niece - same age - has had a runny nose since birth, and she got tested through NAET and she is allergic to eggs, wheat, yeast, sugars, corn, and several other things. She is currently getting her allergies eliminated through NAET and it has already helped her chronic runny nose.

Go to naet.com to find a practitioner in your area. We go to Dr. Tam in Lombard - he is fabulous.

What a blessing to have more flexibility with your diet and to help eliminate symptoms like chronic runny nose, etc.

Myself and my husband are both teachers hence the carriers of some fantastic cooties! If it were me, I'd hold off on the Tylenol and opt for Benadryl. Based on research, Benadryl has few long term effects. Likewise, it will dry up the boogies.

HI D.,

Your baby might have allergies. I understand not running to the doctor for the slightest little thing, but this one might be worth the trip to have her tested to find out. Administering meds over a long term for a one year old can't be a good thing. Think about how aggravating a runny nose is for an adult for that amount of time. It's got to be as bad or worse for a baby. Better you find out now than letting this thing draw out into more weeks and months.

It may also be the effects of the types of cleaners being used in your home. If you have not switched to non-toxic, natural cleaners that are environmentally friendly, the cleaning solutions currently in use could be the culprit. How about trying all natural cleaning solutions for about a month to see if they make a difference? The website for Better Homes & Gardens has some wonderful suggestions for natural alternatives.

1 / 3