Locking Kids in Their Rooms???

A friend of mine just bought a house from a couple that had 3 young girls (i am not sure of their ages). I noticed the locks on their bedroom doors were on the hallway side of the door. So, essentially, the children were locked in their rooms. I asked my friend about it who said it was common practice to keep children locked in their rooms so they did not "escape" at night. I have never heard of this and for some reason it is really bothering me. Has anyone else ever heard of this?

I have never heard of this and think it is very sad.
It's not normal under any circumstance. I am angry thinking about it.

This is completely appalling to me!! These are children not animals. What if they need to go to the bathroom? What if there was a fire? Outrageous!!

I've known a few people who have done this to keep their kids in their rooms at night but I do not agree with it. Too many things can happen throughout the night that may warrant the child needing to get out of bed. For instance: using the bathroom, bad dream, getting ill and needing the comfort of mom and dad...the list goes on and on.

Part of parenthood in my own opinion is also parenting at night. As far as kids locking themselves in their room, take the knobs off or put knobs that do not lock.

I have heard of this before. And I have done it. Well, a different version. When my son was 22 months old we had to transition him to a a toddler bed so his baby sister could use the crib. Plus, he was climbing out of it. We lived in an apartment at the time off a very busy road. Well, one morning I awoke to see my son sitting on top of the stove turning the burners on and off. Nothing happened to him but it was enough that I put a child proof doorknob cover on the inside of his door. I only kept it there all night for a couple of nights. After that, I would put it on when he went to bed and take it off when I went to bed. I used it more as a tool to train him to stay in bed. After a month or so I didn't put it on but I warned him that if he got out of his room again I would put the lock on. That was enough for him. It's about doing something to keep your kids safe.
I have heard the argument "what about fires". Well, at the ages I have the locks on the door I would still need to go and get my child in the case of a fire. The odds of a fire were far slimmer then the odds of my child getting out of his room and running into traffic, starting the fire himself on the stove, or just wandering off.

I have since used this method on my 3rd child and only had the lock on the door for 2 days total. I plan on doing it again when my 4th child is switched to a toddler bed.
I can see how It is a little disconcerting when you see locks on the doors but some children do need them for their own safety.

I've heard of locks on the inside of master bedrooms so the parents could insure a little privacy during private times, but I have never heard of locks on the outside of any bedroom door. That is very dangerous and the locks should be removed. A fire could break out and the child couldn't get out or someone or something could attempt to come in thru a bedroom winow and the child couldn't get out. Any number of things could happen. The locks should definately be removed.

Parents will often do this for kids who will not stay in their own beds at night or during naptimes. THere may be other issues you do not know about such as autism or mental illness that cause the need for the doors to lock from the outside.

They should not worry about why the locks were on there, instead they just need to change them to plain bedroom door knobs. I do not think it is advisable to lock children in bedrooms.

Sleep walkers can use gates as a deterrent on their bedroom doors and the head of the stairs.

I can see having locking bathroom knobs, they have little pins that unlock them in case a child accidentally locks themselves in the pin can be hung up high on the outside of the bathroom door.. Remember when you have guests, they will feel more comfortable with a lock on the bathroom. We do not have locking door knobs (our house was built in the 30's), but we have latches attached way up high so that the bathroom door can be locked only by adults.

The adult bedroom also has a latch up high, so that when we want to assure privacy we have been able to latch it.

Absolutly not ok:that is strange But let me tell you we did the same thing for my lil girls room but we cut her door in half then turned the locks around so that we could lock it at night from the outside only because we live in a two story house my room dwn stairs and my two childrens rooms are up stairs
and we did not want her to get out at night and fall dwn the stairs two totally difrent reasons i'm sure. and did you get it the door is a half door

Okay, hold up on the CPS. Why does this family feel this is necessary? I have heard of kids being sleepwalkers and that can be very dangerous thus reversing the locks can assure safety as well as some sleep. Is there some mental illness or extremely rebellious teen that sometimes it is for their safety? There could be a number of reasons. Are their children happy, functioning kids? You didn't mention how old they were. What are the parents like? I know some have said this is "inhumane", but when ALL has been tried, what wouldn't you do to keep your children from harm? I think before CPS is called or an ill judgement is made, best to get the facts.
Oh, no I have not had to reverse locks but, close. Having a child with sometimes dangerous mental health issues, I have an idea of what kind of situation might warrant doing that.

1 / 3