Live in Hotel Temporary - Have You Done It?

Okay, so we've had our house on the market and now it's finally under contract. We haven't bought our next home since we first wanted to sell our current home and knew it would take a while in this market. We know where we want to live but have yet to put an offer on a home. I am thinking it may take 6 months (give and take) before we find the house that we want. We are okay with renting for a little while and plus we want to make sure we find the perfect home for us. We have a 2 year old and an almost 4 year old. Living in a hotel would cost us about the same price as renting a place if you include utilities, cable, etc. We could live in a 1 bedroom suite with small kitchen and the hotel has a pool. Kind of sounds fun and kids would love the pool. Is that nuts to live in a hotel for that long. If we do that then we don't need to worry about moving furniture or anything into a temporary place. We can just put all our stuff in a POD. Am I nuts for thinking a tiny hotel room but has a seperate bedroom to live in for maybe 6 months is crazy? If you've done it I'd love to hear how it all worked out.

Sounds great to me! My husband and I just talked about it and we would totally do it. No sheets or towels to wash...

A pool, workout center, and other perks...

Go for it!

When we relocated, we were in a hotel for about 3 months - extended stay hotel. Did the room cleaning thing weekly. It was a 1 bedroom with a pullout couch. It was quite nice. Pretty much like living in an apartment, except someone else cleaned for you :)

We lived in a Hotel for about 4 months while our house was being built and it is one of the happiest memories of my life as a kid... I was about 11 and my sister was 4. We had a little kitchenette and a pool. I think my parents budgeted dinner out into their grocery budget and we ate breakfast and lunch in our hotel.
Of course I was the kid so I am not looking at it from the shoes of an adult but you get maid service everyday and I am sure there is a cut rate for extended time... My hints would be to get a ground floor closer to the amenities you wish to be close to such as the lobby or parking or the pool or laundry facilities, ice machine etc..

I've done it - just me and my husband for 1.5 months. I had the same thoughts as you. It was an extended stay.

It had a Full bed, pull out couch, coffee table, office area, bathroom, and a kitchenette (microwave, two burner stove, refridgerator, and sink). It was fun at first but grew very old after about the third week. We even moved a shelf in there for a pantry, a dresser, and our full computer (printer and all).

We were both working and it was annoying because he worked nights and I worked days. It was hard to be quiet enough for each other when the other was off (we had some weekdays off at seperate times) and get away. He ended up driving around alot. We finally moved to a temporary rental and life was MUCH easier.

I can say this if you do it: Your crockpot is your best friend (splurge and buy the crockpot liners for super fast clean up) as well as paper plates and utensils. It's a nightmare trying to do dishes and clean up on such little counter space. On the weekends I would do my best to cook for most of the week. Boiled eggs, make rice, etc.

It is doable though and we did the same as you and kept all our stuff in storage.

No, not crazy. Very very good idea. It will save you money and effort in the long run.

My friend did this when her house burned down and she had 4 kids, 2 boys and 2 girls. They lived in a kitchenette with 2 Queen beds for about 6 months. She found it was the least stressful time of her life. She had zero bills to worry about, she could have it as warm or as cool as she wanted and didn't have to worry about high utilities, didn't have to worry about the phone bill having long distance calls on it to make it outrageous, no housework other than doing the laundry due to housekeeping changing the bedding and cleaning the room, no worries whatsoever. There was a truck stop with full amenities right next door so they basically had a 24 hour grocery store next door within walking distance, and they all went to school and she worked full time.

She said it was a bit cramped but since they came home all at one time, went and played in the pool and hot tubs, game room, etc...that they felt like they had plenty of room.

I think that is was actually less per week than even renting a house without the utilities would be. If you guys can do this I think even if it is tough that you will adjust and it will work out for you.

If you do the kitchenette room you will be able to do some cooking too. They usually have a small fridge so you can keep milk and fresh fruit/veggies in it and the tiny freezer can hold some goodies too.

Good luck finding the right house! I know that it may take time but wait and do it right!

CONGRATS on selling your home!!!

My girlfriend who lost her house to a fire in May lived in a Temporary Hotel - The Spring Suites - two bedrooms, living room, kitchen, etc. of course the insurance paid for it for 3 weeks - but it worked for her.

I would talk to an apartment complex. When Bob and I moved here from Germany - we set up a month to month with a fully furnished apartment for less than the temp hotel. We had a two-bed - two bath apartment fully furnished that we did month to month. I don't know what the options are in KS. But it's something to look into. The kids would have a play ground and you would be able to have some space!

I have friends that are living in a hotel - all 4 boys plus the two parents. They basically stay there to sleep and shower. They are at their office the rest of the day. But it is the same price or cheaper for them to all sleep there in one room. Mom is happy b/c she doesn't have to wash sheets and towels or scrub a bathroom.

So I say go for it! The kids will likely need more room to run around, so check out the local playgrounds and make a plan to go there once or twice a week. Make them a little play area by bringing in your own rug maybe and setting up a little play nook in a corner of the hotel room. A lot of places will give you a discount if you pay cash (green money) as opposed to using a credit card. Ask about that, on top of asking about a 'monthly price' instead of a 'daily price.'

Go for it!

I don't think you're crazy at all. Leaving stuff in storage and only having to pack and unpack your life ONCE sounds perfect to me!

Look into like a Mariott Residence Inn or some of the other extended stay type hotels. They'll have the fun hotel stuff you're talking about but also could be a little more comfortable than a hotel geared for a weekend. Just a thought.. or an all suites place like Embassy Suites could be comfortable too.

1 / 3