Little Girl with Some Dark Hair on Her Legs ..... Going into the Third Grade

My question is when should my little girl, who will be nine in November, need to worry about shaving her legs. I cannot BELIEVE I am writing this, as she is still such a little girl, but the fact is that she has some dark hair on her skinny legs.

Is there something I can do for her? I mean, Jeez, she hasn't even had her first period yet. And let me tell ya, this girl is REALLY scared of growing up too fast.

Thanks,

E.

Wait until she asks (which may be soon). At that point, I would not deny her. My first razor was an electric one, worked like a charm and no nicks.

The time to worry about shaving is when she asks. The minute she is self conscious about it she will ask. Until then let her be a happy child.

My daughter has very dark hair but even at eleven it still doesn't concern her.

Shaving will not make her grow up too fast. All shaving will do, is prevent her from being insecure about her legs, or get made fun of. Just make sure she knows how to shave safely.

ETA: I guess I assumed you asked, because your daughter did. Yeah, I agree with the others. Unless she is bothered, she doesn't really need to shave. If she gets made fun of, or it bothers here...then it's time.

My daughter has had dark hair ( as in could be a baby wookie ) on her legs since she was born.
She's going into 5th grade this year, she has yet to shave her legs.
I'm going with the policy until it bothers HER she's not shaving her legs.

i was 9/10 when i started shaving, i HATED the hair on my legs and i had under arm hair, i wanted to shave. i went behind my moms back and did it

If it doesn't bother her, don't let it bother you. She'll let you know.

If it is bothering her, I suggest using Nair cream. Three minutes on and all the hair wipes off. Then rinse. Easy.

I've never understood the big deal about when to start shaving. In our family (3 of us girls) and now we all have girls too. When you have hairy underarms or legs and it starts making them feel self conscience, it's time to start shaving. I went to the local drugstore and bought a little electric razor so no cuts from a razor blade (our mom did the same for us) at about 2nd/3rd grade too. We started using it and were so relieved to not worry about that very small issue of unwanted hair when it can seem to be hugely embarrassing and a REALLY big deal for that young girl. I'm so glad our mom didn't set a specific age for shaving and just let the hair and our feelings decide. Some of our friends (and our daughter's friends) sure wish their moms would do the same. This is an easy issue to resolve ... it's just hair!!

You consider it when she comes to you and ask. When she begins to feel self conscious about it is when you say yes and help her.

If you bring it up, it will make her think she is not "normal" and possibly begin the poor self esteem route which is something you do not want to do. There will be enough factors as she gets older that will hinder her self esteem if she is not strong now.

I suggest keeping a constant line of OPEN communication with her so that she can come to you with anything and not feel judged or embarrassed. This has helped SO much with our daughter (17). Be there for her, listen a lot.

Try to help her feel more comfortable about growing up... it is nothing to be scared about. Where is she getting that fear? and Why?

1 / 3