Little Girl Always Sick?

My little girl is 5 years old. She started kindergarten last August and she has been sick everyday since. No exaggeration the only time when she was healthy was Christmas vaca. She has had bronchitis 3 times and I'm pretty sure she has it again. Stomach viruses one after the other. Ear infections due to sinus drainage. Is there anyway to boost her immune system? I give her multi vitamins,and I'm doing airbourn now. I'm really at my wits end here. I cant stand to watch her be unhealthy any longer. not to mention shes is keeping my 9 month old sick too.

You could change schools. Seriously. I had a year with 3 kids in elementary school and a baby at home. From the beginning of the school year till we moved in November, I had a total of 5 days that I didn't have one or more of my schoolkids home sick. Then we moved. Different school. They stopped being sick. I know of a school that shut down for a week because so many kids were staying sick. It really could be the school.
Another option, have you considered homeschooling? It's amazing how much healthier the kids can be. It's an option that more and more of us are doing for various reasons. We are in a group with a great support system, lots of field trips, and bi-monthly "class days" where we get together with other families and the kids have classes together and get to play. We love it.
Hope this helps,
T. - homeschooling mom of 4, including 3 great teenagers!

Gosh, I hate to say it, but if this is the first time she's really been around other kids on a regular basis then this is very normal!

I agree regarding the immune system as well it can be expected beng around othr children.

Also I agree that it may be something she may be allergic
to at the school.

Have you spoken to the school nurse to see if she knows of other children having this same problem. Ask her her oppinion as what can be done for the immune system. Ask her if she can find out what cleaning products are being used. Then with this knowledge you may want to discuss the matter with the pediatrician.

It is important to get to the root of this problem as one never knows if it can effect the childs health for life!

God Bless

I know this may sound weird but, send a bottle water with your daughter and tell her not to drink from the water fountain, and see if that helps you. There are so much they can get from that water fountain.

Hope this helps,

lots of vitamin c, orange juice also cover her mouth when you take her out. and tell her to wash her hands alot while at school and keep them out of her mouth!! i am sorry your babies are sick and i hope this helps!!!

I agree with Liev about the probiotics and several other moms about building the immune system. I'm guessing your daughter has been on antibiotics for the infections. She needs yougurt with live and active cultures to help get the "good" bacteria back into her system. My 3 boys are rarely sick and I am not a clean freak. My house is clean, but I don't bleach everything and go nuts with antibacerials. We wash hands a lot and use natural, non-toxic cleaners. Good luck! Spring is just around the corner. I hope that helps!

I'm sorry to hear it! How miserable for you all.

Here are some quick answers:

Keep her sugar intake very low. Sugar is extremely hard on the immune system..

Get her a probiotic supplement like acidophilus. Preferably, though, it should be a multi-doph (many different strains of beneficial bacteria). Be careful to keep it refrigerated if it says on the packaging that it must be kept refrigerated.

Give her miso soup. It's really good for intestinal health, and the gut is the seat of the immune system (this is also why you want her on probiotics).

Have her gargle and use a neti pot every day after school. For gargling, she needs to use very warm water (but not uncomfortably warm) and salt.

Make sure she is washing her hands every time she goes to the bathroom.

Teach her to keep her hands away from her face, and particularly to not touch/rub her eyes or nose unless she has just washed her hands and needs to get an eyelash out, rub an itch, etc.

But it sounds like this requires nipping it at the source, because being sick this often means that stuff is not being cleaned properly. So, even if her immune system is strengthened, it still sounds like a gross environment for your daughter to be in. Talk to her teacher. Clearly other kids are getting sick very often, as well. Perhaps they need to have a program where they teach kids better hand-washing habits. Maybe the janitors aren't cleaning enough surfaces, or not cleaning them as effectively as needed. Just vinegar wipe-downs on keyboards, door knobs, and other frequently-touched surfaces would make a big improvement. It sounds to me like this isn't happening. Maybe you and some other parents could organize a simple cleaning day to end this cycle of contamination!

Hope this helps!

I had that problem also several years ago with my son. He started 1st grade and started getting sick...alot! You might check your childs classroom at school. The "prefab" that my son was in had been known to have mold growing on the walls in previous years. Several PTA moms went in and cleaned the walls with a bleach solution. Although that helped, there was still alot of moisture under the building therefore there had to be alot of mold growing under there. It seemed that he would start feeling better during the last part of the week-end, and feeling very well after a long weekend or break, then he'd go back to school and start getting sick again. This went on all year! He finally moved up to 2nd grade and a different room, we didn't have any more trouble!! Hope this helps! D.

1 / 3