Line Drying Clothes

Hello mommas! Recently I've begun line drying our clothes mainly because our dryer is on the fritz. Are there any line drying secrets that I should know? I've been trying to hang the clothes during nicer days and pulling them off before darkness. And I use fabric softner, but the clothes don't have that dryer fresh scent or feel. I heard some say they prefer line drying but I don't understand why. I can put the clothes in the dryer but I'm trying to make the dryer last until after the holidays. Also, it feels good trying to conserve energy & be a little more eco friendly. Any tips, suggestions, advice is greatly appreciated.

You should only leave the clothes out long enought to get dry. If towels, sheets etc are hung out to long they will be hard. It does not take very long to dry if it is a nice day. It will get better.

I worked in Japan for 2 yrs. A great friend who I consider my 'Japanese mother' taught me something about line drying- You should pat it and it is like ironing it. It really makes a difference. I hope this makes sense. You can take a shirt and pat it with one hand while having the other hand on the other side. Try it.

we line dry too and during the cooler months, i hang just about all our clothes inside. we got 3 wooden clothes drying racks from walmart and i try to do laundry at night so the clothes can dry overnight. then when it starts to get warmer (around march/april), we hang them back outside.
you're going to miss that dryer feel for a while....sorry! btw, vinegar in the downy ball makes a good natural fabric softener and if you shake the clothes out before you hang them, they'll usually end up a little softer still.
hope this helps!

Hi S.
I have been line drying for years. You are never going to get your towels to feel like they do when they come out of the dryer, but they will absorb the water a whole lot better from line drying and smell fresher too. My husband PREFERS line drying for ALL his clothes (except socks), we both feel it extends the life of our clothes...dryers can really wear out clothes. I enjoy my jeans better after air drying...they keep their shape better. One tip is that the colder the water the harder the clothes. Also, a windy day makes them softer.

I primarily dry clothes inside and dry in the dryer only when absolutely necessary. I do it outside when weather permits. Your clothes aren't going to be soft and they're not going to smell "fresh". But to me, fresh doesn't smell like Bounce or Downy. I have strong scent aversions (and my husband has extremely sensitive skin), so this works for us. He really likes "crunchy" towels. When I wash the towels, I put vinegar in the wash too. That's supposed to restore some of the fluffiness of the towels. On the plus side, your clothing will last a LOT longer. My kids clothing holds up so much better because it's not being destroyed by the heat in the dryer. That makes the hand me downs not look so beat.

Honestly, I've wondered the same thing! I'm only responding so I can read what others have told you!

I had my dryer element go out recently and I would hang my clothes out to dry. Since the weather is getting colder the latest you can let them hang outside is 4:00 or 4:30. Put the clothes on hangers and bring them in and hang them on your shower curtain rod if you have one. If your dryer still works dry partially outside and then bring in and finish drying. Hope this helps.
R. D.

i used to hang my clothes out and loved the smell...especially sheets and cloth diapers. i found that you need to get them as soon as they are dry and they won't get as stiff. i tried to do laundry on warm sunny days for more efficient drying.
also the shaking is important.

I air dry everything, but zip up pjs, undies, socks and undershirts, all other clothes I air dry then toss in the dryer for 10min to get the wrinkles. I air dry shirts on a hanger and use both bathroom shower rods. I use a drying rack for the girls pants and my husbands hoodie sweatshirts. It takes about half a day for them to dry. I then toss in the dryer for 10min to get out wrinkles and any dampness.
-M.

1 / 3