Lifting/ Carrying Children While Pregnant

I am currently 11 weeks pregnant with my second baby and I am a bit concerned about whether or not I could be doing any harm to my unborn baby if I continue to carry around my 19 month old daughter. Im obviously avoiding doing any heavy lifting otherwise but in terms of my toddler is that considered to be off limits too? I already feel somewhat guilty that my daughter will feel left out or will receive less attention when this baby is born, I couldnt imagine not holding her and cuddling/ carrying her while I have the time to be just me and her. She is always asking to come 'uppies' and up until this point I havent thought much of it but then it just hit me this morning that there is a potential to cause harm. She is a very healthy 25 lb little munchkin and is by no means light but she needs me and I dont want to stop holding her if possible
So did you other Mommies continue to carry around your other children while pregnant? And if so did everything turn out just fine?
Thanks in advance for any advice and Happy Hump Day

I continued to hold my almost 6 y/o - who just recently made it to 40lbs (YAY!!) up until my 7th month when it started getting hard for me. I'd say if you start to feel pain, then that is the time to stop. The little bit my daughter asks to be held, I didn't want to deny her that comfort either and I offered it for as long as I could.

Now she will sit on my side rather than on my lap because my belly has been so big since the 6th-7th month. It's harder with a much younger child, you cannot really explain why things need to change and the child may see it as rejection. Even with us always talking about it, my daughter would still sometimes take it as rejection.

Well, I'm 13 weeks pregnant, and I pick my 5 1/2 year old up. Ok, I know I probably shouldn't, but I'm careful, and I don't do anything that feels uncomfortable. I guess my point is that I would have no qualms picking up a 25 lb. toddler.

wow, my doctor told me not to lift anything heavier than a sack of potatoes. Well sorry, 12 weeks pregnant or not I have an 8 month old at home. Basically you gotta do what you gotta do. You can't not pick up your daughter. She's little, and what you aren't going to leave the house alone for the next 6 months? You have to pick her up to get her in the car, out of the car, into a cart or stroller.... into her crib. Use common sense. If it causes you pain don't do it. Don't carry her for extended periods of time, don't carry her and other things. I still have to lug my 8 month old 19 pound little man upstairs 3 times a day at least to put him to bed, such is life. My first three kids are 11, 10 and 8 so I've done this before, and they are all just fine.

The rule of thumb is that you can do anything now that you could do before. If you were a couch potato that slept until noon and never lifted anything then you shouldn't run out and start training for a marathon. But woman really do get silly when they get pregnant. I know we don't want to hurt our babies. But woman have always worked and worked hard through pregnancies. Just use your common sense.

There are no restrictions on lifting if your pregnancy is not a high risk one. Mothers worked on the farm back in the day. The more activity, within reason, that you have the healthier you will be and the easier your delivery will be. Yes, you can lift your toddler.

It's OK to do heavy lifting if you are fit and it's comfortable.

I just found out i was 11 weeks yesterday!...(i thought i was only about 4 weeks, lol whoooops)...Im wondering this too so i asked my doc yesterday, mostly the concern with lifting things over 25 lbs is the issue of wielding it, or throwing it etc.... an activity that takes your whole body. We can lift our babies/toddlers, but easily...slowly and be weary of too much movement.

I have four but they are more two and two because it takes me eight years to forget why I only had two kids for eight years but I digress.

I always picked up and carried the older one when I was pregnant. Yeah towards the end the younger one might kick them but other than that you should be fine. I have very big kids, not chunky mind you, tall little monkeys.

Obviously if you are at risk then be careful.

My girls are 19 months apart and I always carry her without any problem, if you r healthy and have a normal pregnancy I don't see the problem, any way I think you mean lifting for normal activities like getting toothed high chair or the car seat or sometimes just to give some love for a few minutes, and not all day long like a babie , that's not normal for a toddler.

Updated

Contrary to popular belief, lifting children while pregnant does not hurt the baby nor contribute to miscarriage. However, lifting improperly may cause back problems for you. When you lift your little ones, bend at the knees or have the child climb up on a chair before lifting them in order to avoid lower back strains. Listen to your body in advanced stages of pregnancy. It will let you know when lifting is no longer a good option. My last 2 children were 20 months apart and I lifted my next to youngest up until the last month when it became uncomfortable. I did, however, routinely perform back exercises to keep my lower back and core strong. Congrats on your pregnancy! Enjoy every moment, for it passes very quickly. Midwife Mom of 3

I am 36 weeks along, and will still pick up my 40 lb. 5 year old if I absolutely have to (if he's hurt, Daddy isn't there, etc.). I have definitely limited it the past few weeks, but it isn't so much about the weight, but what that weight can do to your body. Congrats and good luck!

1 / 3