Lice - Reading, PA

Hi all! I have a beautiul little girl who just turned 8. She is constantly getting lice .My home is very clean and I go through the routine every time she gets it.Use the shampoo for lice nit remover and comb through it .She has very long spiral curls so it takes hours ! We usually both end up crying ! I wash everything and clean everything . The problem is she gets it from her fathers house (we are no longer together ) ,and there is nothing I can do about it ! I called childrens services and they said they cant do anything ,I was even gonna take him to court over this ,but was told that Berks county courthouses are so packed with serious issues they will laugh me out ,and throw the case out. So I am left to find a treatment that WORKS and something that will keep these nasty critters away! Any suggestions I will try ! My husband and I are tired of going through her hair all the time !

Hi, finally someone else that can relate. My daughter used to get it all the time from school. I tried everything even the doctor gave me a presciption and I even did the mayo treatment which did work. What I do now to prevent it is I pull my daughters hairback everyday with a little gell.

Hi L.. I can sympathize with you. My daughter's father used to live in a fashion that was not to my liking. I told him that if he did not clean things up, I was not going to let my daughter visit him anymore. I also told him that I would come clean his house for a fee that was considerably less than commercial, and he agreed. I don't know what kind of relationship the two of you have, but maybe he would agree to let you come spray the house and wash all the linen. As long as he pays for the chemicals(which are outrageously expensive). Sometimes men just don't know where to begin when it comes to a mess that's been overwhelming them. Good Luck!

I don't understand why child services can't/won't do anything. I would be sure to document each occurance and perhaps persue legal advice. It surely can't be a healthy place for your child to go if she ends up getting lice.

I'm not sure how often she goes to her father's, but if its possible you can try. and load up her hair with gel and hairspray. It will give her hair a coating and the lice will not be able to grab on to anything. Maybe you can try and also have her wear a cute hat or something over her hair until you can really solve this problem. Although these are only temporary remedies maybe they will help! Make sure you document everything she comes home with. I'd imagine after so many times of you having to go through this it would have to be something the courts or social services would have to look into. Good Luck!

When my oldest daughter was young, she got lice from school and I was horrified, the nurse told me that lice actually attracts to clean hair, well once she got it it was sooooo hard to get rid of. Then we had a girl visit our house from out of state and she had it so anyways to make a long story short I started putting essential oils like lavendar and there were a few more ( it was awhile ago) in our conditioner and she never got it again. You could go to an aromatherapy website or buy a book and they will tell you what oils to use for different ailments. You have to be careful because some oils are harsher than others especially using on a child but lavendar is a very mild oil. I used a mix, sorry I wish I could remember what it was, if you are really interested I could dust off my books later tonight and try to find it, just e-mail me at ____@____.com......good luck, hope this helps, worked for us.

dear L.,
your not alone, (try not to let it freak you out) i also have a daughter, 10. i have had a constant battle with lice for the past 3 years. i also have a very clean house and child, thats part of the problem, the little suckers love the clean kids. in the past three years my daughter has had lice so many times i cant even remember anymore. i did everything trying to control the situation, even going to the point of cutting her hair to about an inch long all over her head. i even had the school envolved because that is where she kept getting it from. there is not a lot you can do to keep your little angel from getting them but what i did find that helped was using a leave in conditioner after bathing and also keeping her hair pulled up. once you get rid of them, keep hair products in her hair. mousse, hair spray, anything. lice seems to stay away. i have used every kind of lice removal products on the market, dont use the same brand everytime, the lice become immune when you use the same thing all the time. also, check daily for nits, i found this to be helpful; you catch them right away. i did find a product that works very well, it is a little expensive but very well worth it, since using it twice i have not had another reaccurance, thank the good lord. as far as going to dads, i found that if my daughter goes to someone elses house to spend the nite, a disposable shower cap on the head at nite time is a great way to try and help. my daughter would rather wear that than go through the nitemare of having to be treated again. oh, the name of the the product is "LICE CURE". the directions say to use half of the bottle the first time and then the rest in a week or whatever, i found that if you use the entire bottle and than retreat with another bottle, it works. (havent needed it since)
well, sorry this was so long, hope i could be some help to you, i now this problem all to well and i know it can be very flustrating. i have cried many, many times over this.
good luck
patti

There is a website called lacetoleather.com/keepliceaway. They have natural remedies which involve things like putting lavender oil in your shampoo. They list some things that I guess lice don't like so they just stay away. This might be worth a try. It didn't sound too hard. As for what to do about her father's place, if she keeps getting lice from there, how clean is it otherwise? Sounds a little iffy. Good luck!

#i call the board/dept of health on your husband. Tell them the situation. You can tell them you have tried ccs and you were told nothing could be done.
#2 Hairspray, gel, mouse, etc. Kids her age don't use them and that's why it's so common in elementary schools but drops off there. It's not common in jr high or high school because most of the kids are wearing hairspray, gel, mouse, remember they only like clean hair!

Lice can be very hard to get rid of. My step-daughter is 10 and she has had it a few times. I thought we acutally got rid of it the first time but even one egg left can cause them to multiply ALL OVER AGAIN! She used someones brush at school.
Can you talk to your husband and explain to him he REALLY needs to clean his house from top tp bottom and get rid of them. If not, I would not let her go over there anymore! RID worked good for us, we also used the furniture spray and washed everything in hot water. HTH. Good luck.

1 / 3