Lethargic Toddler Recovering from Stomach Virus

On Monday, my husband and I took my 2 year old daughter to the ER because of repeat vomiting and lethargy. She was diagnosed with a stomach virus and an ear infection. The doctor said to visit her regular doctor if she did not improve by Wednesday. By Wednesday she was taking small amounts of food, cheese and crackers with juice. We did not visit the doctor thinking she was on the road to recovery. However, it is Friday and she is still lethargic, always laying down or asking to go to bed. She is still only eating cheese and crackers. She is not dehydrated because she has drank plenty of pedilyte and water. It is almost like she is depressed now. In addition, her eyes have been occasionally crossing since she has been sick. Her appt is not until next Tues. I am wondering in the meantime what to do. Will the lethargy pass? If so, how long?

I agree with Martha here, take her in NOW! I would not wait on this one, sounds like there is something else going on.

Don't wait! Just take her in. What is your gut telling you? If my child was like that I would be there in a heartbeat! Remember, your doctor is your employee, and he/she works for you. If you don't get the answer you need go to a new one and get a second opinion.

Here are a few suggestions.

Ger her some Emergen C, this will help boost her immune system.
http://www.emergenc.com

Get her on a good probiotic www.natren.com sells one specifically for kids. This will help esp if you are vaccinating her and she has been sick. Vaccinations contain Antibiotics that mess up a childs gut.

The ear aches are a tip off that she has a weak immune system and it was most likely aggrivated by vaccines, the reason I say this is non vaccinated kids don't tend to get ear aches but it is really common amongst kids that do. You are going to have to do some research and educate yourself if you do this you will understand what I am talking about, your doctor will not share this information with you.

Second if she was recently vaccinated find out what she was vaccinated with and find out what the side effects from those vaccines are.
You can find those here:
http://www.vaccinesafety.edu/package_inserts.htm

You can also find out information about all Vaccines here:
http://www.nccn.net/~wwithin/vaccine.htm

Take her back to the ER! You can never be too careful!

Take her right now to a doctor--even a doc in a box. Tuesday is too far away to wait. S. B.

Take her back to the ER!!

I don't want to alarm you but I agree with the mothers who say take her to the doctor now! You should always trust your instincts when it comes to your kids. Even if its nothing, you can feel better about the fact that you didn't sit back and worry only. Her eyes crossing has nothing to do with lethargy - this could be a symptom of something else. I am not a mother who runs to the doctor with every little thing but I know my children as I am sure that you know yours. Depression and lethargy are not signs of a healthy child. Please take her to a doctor and let them know about every one of these symptoms. Don't let them convince you that she is okay when you know better. No- we can't always think that everything is serious but we know our kids better than anyone. God Bless you both!

If I were you, (It is Sunday PM. already so you may have already taken care of this,) I would not wait until Tue. My daughter had similar symptoms and it ended up being pheumonia. I have also had friends say their children had similar symptoms and turned out to be diabetes...so you may want to head to an emergency room if things don't get better. I would also not give cheese, as if there is congestion involved, any dairy will only make it worse. Vitamin C is good for just about everything, so if you can get some fresh fruit into her, I would recommend that...but of course, I'm not a doctor, so I would get medical advice as well. Some insurances have a "helpline" or "ask a nurse" that you may want to call. If your insurance doesnt' have one, call your doctor and ask for the physician on call before you wait it out until Tues.

1 / 3