Leg Cramps/charlie Horse in Third Trimester

Is this just one of the many indignities of late stage pregnancy... or is this a sign of some deficiency in my diet? Had one in my calf this morning (at like 5:30 am on a Saturday, thanks very much!) that literally had me out of bed crying... help!

I had them with my first pregnancy but not my second. I woke up out of a dead sleep once feeling like someone had stabbed BOTH my legs at once. The next morning, I couldn't walk. I had some say it was a potassium deficiency (it could be) but my doctor said an aluminum deficiency. He said eating bananas (which I hate) could help or chewing regular Malox chewables. It did and it helped.

I had them with my 2nd pregnancy, but not the 1st or 3rd. Oddly enough, this was my only pregnancy that I was not sick with HG the whole pregnancy! The only pregnancy that I could take my prenatals and EAT! Nothing helped me as far as bananas, supplements, etc. My husband just knew if I started hitting him he better start rubbing my legs and QUICK! I really think they are one of the most painful things ever. Good luck! I LOVE bananas, I really wish they would have helped!

H. -
I had those so many times with both my pregnancies.
Sleeping with elevated legs help. I used to put pillows under my feet.
When this happens ,try to put your legs in a position where your toes points your tummy.

COMPETLY NORMAL!, I use to jump out of bed in pain. Your belly is cutting off circulation to you leg, but it is very normal.

I was told it was a calcium deficiency. I guess you should just get some slimfast or other meal replacement with lots of vitamins and drink it between meals. That should cover all the bases :) Congrats on your baby to be.

Leg cramps are caused from a your potassium being too low. Usually eating a banana a day will help also dark leafy greens will also help. It's not from calcium def.

There are SO many theories out there about why this happens....
Dehydration...so keep your water intake up
Calcium Deficiency....double up on your calcium tablets or eat the tums with calcium
Potassium deficiency....Have a banana every morning with your breakfast
But the most useful thing that i discovered was how to prevent it from getting so bad....when the cramp starts ( or when you get ready to stretch your legs in bed, which is what usually started my leg cramps!!)...be sure that you point your toes upwards...as if you were pointing at your head....not downwards, as if you were going to stand on your toes like a ballerina!!! For some reason that keeps the cramps from getting a real grip on you!!!
Good luck...and congratulations on your upcoming new arrival!!!

I had these during my first two pregnancies as well. (So bad I would cry...) Then with the third pregnancy I purchased Leg Cramp Ointment (orange tube) from a company called Azure Standard. (azurestandard.com) WORKS WONDERS! As soon as they start I rub this cream on and it stops! And they come less frequently then with the other two pregnancies.

This company sells organic and all natural products so you would probably be able to find this at your local grocery store in the organic/natural section as well.

1 / 3