Leg Caught in Crib Bars...

My son has now done this twice. He'll wake up screaming. I'll run in and he's got his leg caught in the bars. Right above the knee. Which makes it a bit tough for me to get out. I am able too... but I am fearful he's really going to hurt his leg, possibly break it...
Any advice on how to keep this from happening? We have some bumpers, breathable bumpers that collapse very easily. In fact, he kept kicking them down and I had read that he could use them to try and climb out, so we removed them. Should I put them back in? Knowing that they collapse really easily and he really can't use them to climb out? Also, that he will probably squish them down anyway and so they may not help? But maybe they will?
We have the Kolcraft 3-1 bed. Purchased from Walmart. I really didn't think that he'd get his limbs stuck! I'm pretty frightened now, every time I put him in, that he's going to get stuck and break a leg...

Okay ladies... thank you to everyone for your wonderful suggestions. I really wasn't sure the bumper idea would work, but since we had one and that seemed the easiest and most cost affective choice, we tried that first. Wouldn't you know it.... he has only caught his foot in it up high, but only once! It's been weeks and I am sleeping much better now knowing he's not getting his little legs caught any longer!!! It's a breathable bumper. I have it weaved in and out of the bars to add a little strength to it, but not enough for him to climb out. He used to just push it down with his legs (of course he wasn't getting them caught back then) so we had removed it because it seemed to be pointless. Anyway... it's working now!!! Thank you ladies!!

This can be a potentially very dangerous situation. If you are not ready to move him to a big boy bed yet, I would get a pack n play and use that for his bed. It has mesh sides so he can't get stuck. A friend of mine had a son who did this, and he actually did break his leg. An alternative to either big boy bed or pack n play is to just put a crib mattress on the floor and that is his bed. I did this with my little girl and after rolling around the room for about 2 weeks, she eventually stayed on it. Good luck

I know most people said to put the bumper back in and if you do that great - I hope it works! If you are against that, I know there is a netting that goes on cribs to prevent legs and arms from going outside the slats. It is a mesh like the pack and play and goes where the bumper goes therefore eliminating the suffocation risk they talk about with bumpers. Good luck!

think about changing him to a low bed with a guard rail or putting the bumpers back in and lowing the side of the crib so he can climb out. He will learn to stay in the bed/crib and safely climb out at his age. My middle son needed the rail lowered even sooner because he kept trying to throw his leg over the top and get out and I was afraid he would fall. I never had problems with them staying in for naps or at bedtime. No need to prolong the crib.
H.

go on line at wal mart and the manufactor see if there is a recall on the crib there might be and you did not know about it, then contact the manufactor let them know this is happening, if people dont report the problems they wont know when to recall a crib, also call walmart tell them about it , ask them if you can bring back the crib, I am sure they will say yes. Kids safty first.

My daughter was doing this on purpose. So here is what finally worked. I took her bumper and "laced" it very tight through her crib bars. I placed it about 2 inches below the matress line so she could not get her feet under it. I pulled it VERY tight and then took a second bumper and laced it through the opposite pattern and overlayed it about 2 inches over the first.

This worked and now after 6 months I was able to remove the upper bumper but still kept the other one in place.

H.

I had this trouble with one of my boys. I went to JoAnn's Fabric and got some of the polyester netting mesh that sports jersey's are made out of. I then weaved it in and out of the bars and secured it at the top and the bottom of the bed rail with some soft ribbon - I tied the netting to each section at the top and bottom - making sure it was very tight. The fabric covered the entire length and width of the bars. We then just used the baby monitor and listened closely when he woke up and made sure that we got him out - he did try to climb but was never successful. Good Luck!
Giggle Moon Photography
http://www.gigglemoonphotography.com

My suggestion to you would be to put the bumpers back in. My sister suggested to me to get the breathable bumpers but I never did. I haven't (thus far) had problems with the padded bumpers because she old enough to turn her head away from them if she needs to plus she likes being in the middle of the crib. I have them tied on really snuggly so when she kicks at them it's difficult to push them down. It's even difficult for me to move them when I have to change the crib sheet. Additionally, I'd let the manufacturer know about your issue and see if there is a recall on your crib; you may be able to get a different crib if there is. As far as your son climbing out, I understand your concern and since I'm not there yet (first time mom) it's hard for me to give you advice. I can only say if he does try to climb out using the bumper change the setting of the base to its lowest setting. Also, if the bumper is easily collapsable his weight will probably push the bumper far enough down that he can't use it to climb out.

M. P

My Daughter is 18 months and she does this about 5 times a week. We have a $400 3 in 1 crib from sears and I even checked if there was a recall on it and there wasn't. My daughters problem was I was that she is so tiny and skinny her legs got stuck. My son used the same crib and never had any issues. He was much chunkier and didn't have that issue. It is very frightening when this happens and you can barely get the leg out. My daughter had both legs caught the other night and then her calf was wedged in another bar. I decided to set up a toddler bed for her that my son used instead. I'm tired of waking up 10 times a night to check on her to see if she's stuck. Your son might be a little too young for a toddler bed, but you could try it.

If your son is not a climber when he plays, then I would borrow a friend's stiff bumpers just to see what happens. If he can still get his leg stuck through the crib, you have 2 options. One, realize he eventually will be too big to do it and just deal with the periodic "getting stuck". I doubt he can break his leg, and it surely hasn't hurt enough yet to stop him from doing it. Option number two is to move him to a big boy bed like what has been mentioned. You can either use the toddler mattress he's on now or you can immediately use a twin (give him more room to roll around). I know he sounds young, but the friends I've had who have done it say it's wonderful to do before they walk. Then they never know any different and get out of bed less.

You could get a crib tent - they are kind of ugly, but will solve the problem and also prevent tumbles out of the crib when he is older. My daughter had no problems with hers.

1 / 3