Left Pumped Milk Out over Night!

Hi moms,
Does anyone know how long breast milk is good when left at room temperature? I left a huge bottle out last night and found it this morning. It was probably out for 14 hours on my kitchen counter. I could just scream! I put in the fridge when I found it but now I can't find info online for this. I found sites that say no more than 4 hours but most say 10 hours. Anyone know? I sure hate to toss this but I really don't want to cause any problems. Thanks so much!

Thanks! I figured it was a loss but I needed to hear from you guys!
Thanks again....off to go pump:)

Bummer... thow it out! I spilled an 8oz bottle all over myself while pumping at WORK. It can all be frustrating but you will make more, hang in there :-)

E.

Kristin,

I had to use the services of a lactation consultant who recommended that milk not be left out more than 5 hours at room temperature.

Hope that helps.

Magda

Oh that stinks!! Yep, you'll have to dump it. I would not feed my baby any breastmilk that has been left out for more than 4 hrs. Ugh, what a waste, I know! That stuff is like liquid gold. One time I was pouring a full 8 ounces of my freshly thawed breastmilk into a bottle and realized too late that I forgot to insert the plastic(i used the playtex bottles). The milk spilled all over the counter! I was so mad!

Hey Kristin. Hope all's well.

Go to babycenter.com & join their "club" for free & receive REALLY GOOD information on the development of your child/children along with links available regarding breastfeeding & breastmilk that should resolve your concern. I joined their club & REALLY ENJOY their informative emails on each milestone of your child along with other amenities.

TAKE CARE & BE BLESSED & KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK MOM!

If you left the milk out 14 hours and the best number you could find suggests 10 hours at room temperature is the maximum time, then I would say you are 4 hours overdue from tossing it.

Oh my, I know how frustrating that is! Pumping breastmilk and producing a big bottle of it is like liquid gold. Unfortunately, 14 hours is way too long. Breastmilk does have incredible bacteria-fighting properties that keep it safe without refrigeration for at least 4 hours and even upwards of 8-10 hours, if not exposed to light/heat. However, 14 hours is definitely too long to take a chance. Hope this helps, even though its not what you wanted to hear. Many Blessings - L.

I know everyone's saying "throw it out", but check on La Leche League's website first. They have very different guidelines than anyone else, and personally, I trust them more.

Sorry, but you have to toss it. That's way too long. I feel your pain -- I know I've done that before too!

Toss it! So sorry that happened. I know how frustrating it is, but 14 hours is way tooo long. I would bet it has happened to the best of us! Here is a good chart, but even then I always was a little more careful and stuck closer to the more conservative recommendations. http://www.cdc.gov/breastfeeding/recommendations/handling...

1 / 3