Lead Testing on 2 Year Old

Hi moms, Just got back from our 2 year doctor's appointment. The pediatrician is sending us for a lead test for our daughter. They did the 1 year test at the office and it was just a finger prick. They no longer test in the office though, so we have to go to a lab. Also, she told me the test would now be blood drawn from the arm. Though I'm sure it does hurt less, it seems so traumatic for a 2 year old, not to mention the mom who has to hold her down! Just wondering if others had their kids tested for lead at this age and how it was done. The doctor said they stop routinely testing kids after age 2 so hopefully this will be the only time, but I want to make it as easy as possible for my daughter! Thanks so much for any advice or info.

My doc doesn't order the test routinely. He said he doesn't do it unless there is a reason. I told him I live in an old house (built in 1920) but he said I'd have to have old paint that was peeling pretty badly for it to be a concern.

He also said, in the unlikely event that there is high lead, there isn't much you can do--the treatments aren't proven to be all that effective, and they are painful and expensive.

Given all that, I'd much rather test my house first!

My son had a lot of shots early in life...he had ear infections so frequently that he stopped responding to oral antibiotics and had to get shots in his theighs...way worse than having blood drawn...after the trauma of one shot, I'd have to bring him back days later for another...with the memory of the first still very fresh. (he then got ear tubes and no more infections) It SUCKED...there is nothing worse than holding your child down so that someone else can cause them pain. BUT...lead poisoning = brain damage; deal with it and have your child tested!!!

At my daughter's two YO visit she had to submit to a blood test via her arm. I had to hold her and she watched intently as the doctor took blood with the nurse's assistance. She didn't even cry.

Perhaps a lolly pop given to him RIGHT before the Dr. sticks the needle in will help a bit?

What are you going to do - giving blood is a fact of life. He'll be fine 30 seconds after the doctor is through. Just try not to make a big deal out of it and stay calm for him.

distract her, right before the shot hand her something new and interesting to keep her mind on while the shot is being given. It could be a cup or some other tool from the office your in, something she normally cant play with.

Lead test is sooooo worth, especially these days when 75% of the toys on the market are made with lead.

I just took my 3yo son on tuesday for the 2nd time we went for routine CBC but it was drawn from his arm both times. I told him both times what was going to happen (that they were going to pinch his arm to get some blood and that if he didn't move it would be over very quickly)and he did worderfully for both lab visits, last year he cried a little but stopped as soon as the band aid was put on and this time not one tear he sat there like such a big boy and let the tech do what he needed to do. when we were done I took him to get M&Ms. The hardest part was the 2 1/2 hour wait in the waiting room. Every kids is different so everyone will have a different experience. Just prepare her so there are no surprises.

Hope this helps!

It was in the arm when our son turned 1 and it was a bad experience of course more for me than him. I am sure he won't remember but I do. After messing with him (jiggling the needle in his little vein) and still unable to get what they needed, they did the finger. I know the doc will tell us at his 2 year next week to go again but I'm not. The 2 year isn't mandatory for school like the 1 year is.

I will say having had to deal with stitches and IV's with the children that the burrito method was easiest. They lay a sheet on the table, child on top of the sheet, and wrap them up tightly so that only the head and arm are out. It makes it MUCH easier to keep the body and arm still and allows you to be able to be face to face comforting instead of one of the people holding them down.

L.,

I took my baby in to have lead testing, among other things, twice. It's much, MUCH easier to have your baby sit in your lap, and then at the last second, restrain them for the 30 odd seconds it takes to draw the blood.

Get the lead test, though. You never know where they are going to have picked it up. We are going to do it again, bc of leaded glass windows at church (on his level).

Good luck! Any questions about specifics, give me a ring here.

Liz-
my daughter had blood testing for another reason and it was not as bad as i expected. make sure you take her to a lab that has people trained on children. you also might want to follow it up with a treat of some sort. they are pretty quick though and she sat on my lap while they were drawing the blood. good luck.

we actually had the 1yr lead test done by drawing blood from the arm. I guess different docs do it differently, at any rate, it was horrible. not to scare you, but there is a lot of kicking and screaming and you really need to hold her down tight. they have techniques on how to hold the baby still while they draw the blood, so you just have to be strong and think that it doesn't last more than a minute or two. i don't know about your daughter, but mine hates the doc (since she gets pricked almost every time), so i always bring my husband along to help hold her legs while i hold her arms.
it's just one of those things that has to be done, and once it's over, it's over.
good luck!

1 / 3