Laundry - Getting Rid of Urine Smell

DS is a heavy sleeper, doesn't wake up to pee. We have overnights for him, but there's some seepage onto his PJ's, and even after laundering there's a faint smell of urine. It's time to put away the blanket sleepers, but I don't want to do that with them in this state. Any help?

Good morning K.,

I had the same problem with my son. I added Arm and Hammer laundry soap in with my regular laundry soap and it took the smell out of my son's clothes.

Hope it works for you too,

The are some old remedies for smells that do work well.
One is adding white vinegar to the laundry, another is to add baking soda or soak the garment in a baking soda solution before washing.
Sun drying is effective too especially after the vinegar or baking soda treatment.
Best wishes and God bless
Granmother Lowell

I always used a little bit of Biokleen's "Bac-out" in my cloth diaper wash and still occasionally use it with p.j.'s. It is the only biodegradeable, green product I could find that would really break down the urine smell. I also use it for heavy duty cleaning. I'd originally gotten this tip from other cloth-diapering moms in my area. You can get it at most natural foods stores or co-ops.
-S. (same data as you except mom of an almost 4 yr. old)

White vinegar is a cure all for smells like urine.

All you do is add white vinegar to the wash.

If you have to use a lot of vinegar don't worry it shouldn't harm the items. Also try to wash items twice with the vinegar as well.

I won't say good luck because i know it will work so enjoy the great results!

I don't know if this works on urine but it works on everything else, even formula, so I'd give it a shot. I presoak my baby daughter's laundry in hot water and powdered oxy-clean for a couple of hours, then wash it as usual. I get the oxy-clean at the Dollar Tree so it couldn't be any cheaper! I usually use about twice the amount they say to use on the label. Good luck!

Oxyclean gets out the urine smell completely with one soak and a normal wash.
-S.

Hi K., You are asking for help, and I will offer this help that I feel sure will work. I am not soliciting you but simply replying to your request for help. You may want to try Shaklee's non-toxic laundry products. They are safe for you, your family and the environment, and they are very effective for cleaning, whitening and stain removal. Therefore, I feel they would definitely get rid of the urine odor as well. Because they are heavily concentrated, these products are actually cheaper to use that the typical popular market brands -- you use less so they last longer. Shaklee offers laundry detergent, laundry booster (use instead of bleach), fabric softener, and dryer sheets. Feel free to check out these laundry products at my web site www.emilytaft.com I will be happy to answer any questions and also to assist you in ordering if you choose to try them. You may contact me at ###-###-#### or via e-mail at ____@____.com Best Wishes. E. Taft

I soak mine with dreft stain remover and let it sit for an hour or so and then wash it with dreft detergent with some oxy clean and fabric softener. This always takes care of the smell.

try some vinegar in your laundry we do it occasionally if our diapers come out smelling and then hang the blankets outside to dry. Or you can also try some baking soda and then hang out to dry.

1 / 3