Lasagna Left Out All Night!!!!

I made a huge pan of lasagna for dinner last night and it was meant to be our dinner for two days. My husband cleaned up the kitchen and for reasons known only to him, he put foil over it but never put it in the refrigerator! I didn't notice it either, though. It has ground beef, sausage, mozzarella, ricotta and parmesan. It was cooked through, but is it a total loss? I hate to throw all that food and money away!!

Thanks Everyone! I threw it out!

I'm sorry, I guess I'm one of the "crazy" ones but there's no way on earth I'd serve the lasagna again since it sat out overnight. It's meat and cheese that sat out... and because of the two things together I wouldn't risk it. I'm nauseated just thinking about serving that to anyone.

Toss it. I know you hate to throw out food, but I would hate even more to have a whole family with food poisoning.

It's a total loss....last time my hubby got food poisoning he was out of work for 3 days....not worth it!

Um........not all bacteria gets killed in the reheating process, that's a myth! Also, toxins (such as staph) can be produced from bacteria spores and those are NOT killed by heat. Oh, and not everyone was "fine" back in the day without refrigeration, that's why we have food safety guidelines now.

Toss it without guilt! :)

You will get plenty of "it's fine" answers but the truth of the matter is bacteria cannot be smelled or tasted. The bacteria grows very readily in 40° to 140°F temperatures. Perishable food left out (cooked or not) doubles its bacteria rate every 20 minutes. All foods and leftovers should be refrigerated within 2 hours. I use foodsafety.gov as a reference for these types of questions. Good luck.

time to toss it....so you don't end up tossing it!

I would call that a total loss.

Toss it. I know the feeling. Just last week...I went and bought 2 gallons of milk...brought them home, left them on the counter all night! I was so mad at myself. The funny thing is, my husband questioned whether they would be okay??? Yeouch! "Umm, no honey!!" This sounds like a perfect opportunity to go out tonight! :) Don't worry about it!

Sorry, but "when in doubt -throw it out!" With that amount of meat and dairy, you do not want to play games with it. I know it makes you sick to throw it away, but it may make you sicker to eat it!

1 / 3