Large Baby?

Hey everyone,

I am 31 weeks pregnant. I went to the OB yesterday and according to my uterine measurement I am further along. He said that if it keeps up he will order another U/S to check my due date. At my 20 week u/s the baby measured larger, and they moved it up then. At 20 weeks she weighed 14 oz, but according to online sources the baby usually weighs 10 oz. That is a big difference. The problem is, I do not think that I could of gotten pregnant any sooner, unless I had a period. I know this is possible, but I bleed really really heavy with clotting. I am concerned that I might be having a extremely large baby or something. My son only weighed 7lb 10oz. Has anyone experienced this?

hey i have to tell you my son was alomost ten pounds and i was real little before i had him. the doctor even told me i was fat that i needed to go on a diet an there was no way that this would be a big baby wouldnt even do another ultrasound only did one at the start of preg i told him my husband was big and tall he told me that the father in no way shape or form would determine the size of the baby well he was so big he got stuck they tryed to suction him and ended up using foreseps i tore clear back and had to have stitches in my rectum ouch! sometimes doctors dont always know everything maybe you should get a second opinion wish i did hope this helps A.

At my 20 week ultrasound my baby was 1 pound. They thought I was going to have a huge baby, but he was my smallest, only 8 ob 6 oz! They never changed my due date, and I was actually induced the day after my due date! Good luck to you!

My baby was 9 lbs. 10 oz...now that's a big baby! However, I really liked having a bigger baby because he slept through the night sooner, could eat more at one time and had great muscle development.

Due dates are just guesses anyways...I know women who have gone two weeks over their due date and had 7 lb. babies and other women who have been two weeks before their due date with 10 lb. babies. Either way...genetics is going to take over on this one. I'd stop worrying and let your baby develop exactly how she is supposed to :)

When I had my son I had problems gaining weight and was even sent to a dietician to help me gain. I was all baby, but not that big so I thought I would have a small baby. At one of my last check-ups I asked the doc if it would be a small or large baby and she looked at me and said "Oh, no honey, the baby will be a big baby." My hubby and I chuckled cause I hadn't really gained that much weight so we thought he couldn't be that big. Well after being 2 weeks overdue and induced for 2 days, my son was breach and we had to have an emergency c-section. After it was all over the delivery nurse came in to see me and said that I would have ended up with a c-section anyway because there was no way I would have been able to get his head and shoulders out. My son ended up being 9lbs 15oz and having a 15" head. He didn't fit in newborn clothes. So if the doc says it is a big baby I would be prepared they are probably right. And just so you don't hate me cause I didn't gain a lot of weight during my pregnancy, I gained about 30 pounds after my pregnancy...LOL Hope this helps.

I had a similar situation with my pregnancy. My son measured larger so they moved my due date up two weeks and then they ended up taking me in a week earlier than that. He was 8lb. 4 oz when born and healthy as can be, but I know the exact day I got pregnant, so my due date was never in question, but I was relieved they induced me early because if he had stayed in there another 3 weeks, I may have been trying to deliver a 10 lb baby!!! I think, personally, that all the prenatal vitamins make baby's bigger these days, and if you eat right and live a healthier lifestyle during your pregnancy, then how can do anything but grow bigger, you know. I would not worry and I would trust the doctors.

I too had a large baby. There was no doubt when I got pregnant so they couldn't move up the due date (AI). His head was of the chart at 38 weeks so I was adviced to deliver by c-section. The OB said if I wanted to go natural I most likely would end up having a section anyway after hours of labor. The c-section went great and my son weighed 10.3 lbs.

I did not have gestational diabetes but I know that that can cause a big baby as well.

Hi Claire ... I had somewhat of the same experience. I had my first ultrasound @ 16 weeks and the doctor wanted to bump me up two weeks. The doctor then scheduled another ultrasound to check size (which I got billed for!) and again, said my baby was measuring big. I was extremely frustrated b/c my family has a history of larger babies (8.5lbs-10lbs).

Going on the "new" date, this means that I would've gotten pregnant and still had a period and been on birth control. (I was pregnant 3 weeks after removing my patch) ... I knew exactly the date I had gotten pregnant and the original due date was correct.

Yet, the doctor insisted and when the new date came and went, I was pressured to induce. I finally went in but felt really defeated, knowing my son wasn't late yet. I was in the hospital @ 9 am and it took until midnight to be fully dialated. And even then I had to push for 3 hours b/c my son was no where near arrival. I was so afraid they would move to a C-section and I was in so much pain.

I am still convinced I shouldn't have delivered at the new date ... so stick to your guns. You know your body and would never put your baby at risk (doctors tend to scare you when you don't readily agree to inducement).

Perhaps you are having a bigger baby???

ps ... my Big baby was only 8.5 lbs ... and he Still measures in the 90%, meaning he is tall/etc for his age.

the estimate of the baby's weight is just actually a "geusstimate" my doctor told me that the ultra sound estimate can be off by as much as 40%. they told me my daughter could weigth almost 8lbs at birth and she wasn't even 7 and a girl i work with was told her son would be at least 10 lbs and he didn't even weigh 6.

1 / 3