Laptop for a Five Year Old

I am wanting to get my son his own computer for Christmas. Right now he uses the family computer and we have his special sites (Disney, Kids NWF, etc.) and some educational games he can play.

Is there a good kids computer you can recommend? Or is it best just to buy a used laptop?

I have heard on the news that kids that young using computers all the time can develop severe carpel tunnel.

Be careful of laptops for children so young. Many of the laptop batteries contain high lead levels.

Personally I think that 5 years old is waaay too young for their own computer, desktop or laptop. putting such an expensive thing in the hands of a toddler just doesn't seem wise to me.

with that said, I know Walmart has cheap computers, they were advertising a laptop for less than $400.

Leah S. posted this
"http://link.laptopgiving.org/u.d?HmTWKZYANuI_RF3en=411 this is a link for give one get one.org. the premise is a very basic (no cd rom drive or other moving parts) laptop for like $399. when you buy one for foreign needy kids you get one too. Its VERY basic so would be good for the 5yr I think. Look into it!"

I wanted to add that $200 of the purchase is tax deductible!! We're considering getting one for our 5 year old. It's VERY sturdy since it's meant to be used in third world countries, so should stand up to a kindergartener pretty well.

Hi T.,
Laptops or not that great to start out on. One they do not use them in the classroom of the children's schools if you go into their computer rooms. A laptop is very hard to get use to and use. I would go buy either a good rebuild one, or try a e-machine. The e-machine is a great starter computer for you and is low cost. Yet it has everything you need on it. You can get them at Wal-mart at a very low cost. Check it out it was the first one I had, and now my grand babies have it.
A.

Hi T.,
My son is 3 years old and my brother was throwing away a laptop after getting a newer one. I asked him for it for my son who was 2 at the time. We taught him to turn it on, click on links with the mouse pad play on only one website... Starfall.com and turn it off. It is an old laptop that we have in our living room and only uses it when we give him permission. It is not something we worry about because it is old and didn't pay anything for it. He has gotten great use out of it and has learned all of his letter and letter sounds. I am currently developing a power point for him to use to learn his frequency words using the lap top.
So I say go for it. But try getting something used so if it breaks you don't feel so bad about it. Ask friends and family if they are throwing one away or see craigslist.com.
Good luck!!!!

THE BEST THING YOU CAN DO WHEN YOU PURCHASE A COMPUTER!!

http://www.laptopgiving.org/

When you buy one, another one is sent to a child in a poverish country.

you cant beat that!

We've always bought used computers, and it's been all right. There are some free browsers just for kids. My kids like www.buddybrowser.com, and www.kidrocket.org. They have no ads, popups, and all they can do is visit kid sites.

1 / 3