Lactation Problems

I was wondering if anybody has any idea's of what will help me boost up my milk supply? I feel as if I don't have enough for my daughter and I have been having to supplement formula which I hate having to do. She is always hungry after she is done nursing and I hate feeling like I am not able to feed her as much as she needs. If anybody know what I can do to help with my situation please let me know.

Thank you!!!!

I want to thank all of you for helping me with my request. I called my doctor and he prescribed me Reglan and it has helped so much that I am now able to feed my baby without supplementing her formula and I have even been able to pump about 3 four ounce bottles each day to freeze incase I am away from her. Thank you all so very much.

When my milk supply went down with my middle son, they told me to try Fenugreek and Brewer's yeast! I also consulted with a lactation specialist.

I don't know if my theory is correct, but I lost my milk at 7 months with my first boy. As I look back, I think I didn't drink enough water, and maybe I exercised too much... Good luck. I will say that herbal pills (milk thistle and fenugreek did not help at all).

My wife had the same issues and used fenugreek (herbal supplement that is safe) and it helped a lot. She would also have a glass of stout beer every once in a while (guiness) when she did decide to have a beer she woudl wait until after she either breastfed or pumped. Hope this helps. I am a SAHD of a beautiful 1 and a half year old.

I am the mother of nine bith children, seven step children and 31 grandchildren. I nursed all my children for various lenths of time from six months to a year and one half.

Try improving your own nutrition and hydration. When you nurse, sit down, relax, and drink a large glass of water. Drink 1/2-1 gallon of water a day. Relax, that is important. I remember with my youngest was three months old I had to go to work and when I picked her up to feed her I was swollen and tense and she would not nurse. When I relaxed, she nursed and there was plenty of milk. What a relief!

The better nutrition, the more milk your body will make.

I also found that it worked better for me to only nurse onone side each time. That allows the other side to refill for next time.

I had the same problem, my doctor said that if I drink ALOT of liquids and if my baby dosen't want to eat every two hours then pump... it lets your body know it needs to produce more milk.

Most women are able to make plenty of milk and a lactation consultant can help you figure out how you can work things out with your daughter. A couple of quick thoughts. Go to www.lowmilksupply.org for some good info. Try nursing her on a single breast for as long as she wants. Spend plenty of time skin to skin with your girl. Call Julie Johnson at ###-###-#### she does private consulations and runs a clinic in S. Jordan on Thursdays. Believe me the small cost of a consultant will pay for itself (formula is $$$!).

Try putting your feet up and relaxing for at least 30 minutes a day with a pint of beer. Seriously. I know how hard it is; I was a single mom with 4 kids from birth to 11 for 10 years. My Irish mother told me this, and it works. Low milk supply is usually caused by stress ( any dairy farmer can tell you that!) so a daily period of relaxation will help enormously.

My sister got a prescription to help with this and it seemed to do the trick. I'm not sure what it was but I'm sure your OBGYN will.

I had the same problem. I haven't had to supplement yet. I went to Whole Foods and bought some drops and tea by Wish Garden. The drops didn't help so I went back and got some pills called "Lactate Support" by Gaia Herbs. I have to pump at work. The day before I started taking lactate support, I only pumped 6 ounces. After the first day on the pills, I pumped 10.5 ounces. I'm still drinking the tea. It tastes really bad so I recommend mixing it with lemon or apple juice. If one thing doesn't work, go back and ask them to recommend something different (you can return the first one. They are really knowledgeable!

I'm totally not a carbination person and rarely drink it, but my mother in law told me root beer helps support your milk supply. Sure enough, whenever I feel low on milk, I'll drink some of that (coke will sometimes help, but not as much as root beer) and I will feel full of milk by the next feeding. Worth a try?

First call the lactation program ###-###-#### free if your baby is on medicaid :) Not to bad if she's not. Second DONT STOP!!!!! pump when you can, empty each breast every time, and feed her what you pump from a bottle. Most of all keep your spirits up,I too am a single mom and that is the biggest key and hardest thing to do. Your attitude will directly effect your milk supply. (ie stress, anxiety, inability to relax) The breast feeding book my Sears is an excellent resource and La leche League meetings are free and Very helpful look on the net for the closest one to you. Good Luck

1 / 3