Lack of Health Insurance and Pregnancy

Okay ladies - need some help...or rather my sister needs some help. My sis is 24 and pregnant. We work for a company that does not carry health insurance. Her husband was recently laid off (reduction in force) so he lost his benefits. He is currently working "contract" for a company that he had worked at previously, so once again, no benefits. They do not qualify for Medicaid, because "collectively" they make too much. She works on the side for a company that does offer health but the deductible is $10,000.

Has anyone else faced this problem? Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Although we made too much too Medicaid still carried me b/c I was pregnant so I would suggest she go back and re-apply.

I ran into this same problem. I called around to all of my local hospitals and asked them how much would the charge be if I paid cash. I was able to work out a cash price with the OB/GYN MD as well as the hospital (UTMB) and yes, I delivered on the island. I made payments at the OB appts.
It worked out great.

If she's up for the idea a home birth with a midwife is cheaper than the hospital birth. I had 2 of my kids at home costs around $3700 each... If she's interested I can message you my midwife's information.

How does she feel about all natural birth, with no chance for medical intervention? I would suggest either a birth center or home birth with a midwife. Midwives are usually have low cash cost. The midwife I used (at a birth center) was very reasonable and covered by our insurance, but my friend went to her too. They are self-employed and therefore do not have great insurance. They paid cash, and she was very happy - it was sooooooo much less than what she had paid for her other three hospital births.

The midwifery model of care is much more personalized care, and studies show that for normal, healthy pregnant women, a midwife birth can be just as, if not more, safe than delivery with an OB. Not having all those dangerous medical interventions adds to the safety. I chose it for this reason. The bonus was that it really did cost much less, and I believe my midwife told me that her cash price was $5500, and she offered a payment plan.

OBs might offer cash price options as well, but OUCH. The hospital is going to be pricey, too...

I would suggest she look into midwifery care. I am a homebirth midwife and had a homebirth myself 4 years ago and I am planning on another one in April. I paid my midwife 1700.00 four years ago. That was before I was a midwife. The practice I work for currently charges 2800.00 for everything. And almost all midwives accept payment plans. Besides the lower cost, research has shown that for healthy mothers birth with a midwife is safer and healthier than with an OB at the hospital.

I am not sure where you live, but the staff at the UTMB clinics have been wonderful. I went in, no insurance and they helped me fill out all the medicaid forms for pregnanct women. I go to the offic ein Pearland. They also have an ob-gyn package for if you o not qualify for medicaid you pay $6000 dollars fo ryour whole pregnancy and delivery. You need to put down $900 deposit and then pay the balance off by your 36th week. THis covers all your doctors visits,one scan and your hospital stay. The only downside is you have to deliver on Galveston island, but I found that it was a huge savings and I am currently on their plan and have had wonderful service from them.

Most other doctors and hospitals have some sort of cash payment plan.

I spoke with my OB/GYN...when we were pregnant without health insurance coverage. Their office offered a discounted rate for paying "cash". Then they also worked out a payment plan that allowed you to make a monthly payment to their office that had your prenatal and delivery paid off by the 7th month of pregnancy. This of course did not cover the hospital or anesthesiologist (if you wanted an epidural) but completely covered prenatal and delivery.

The hospital will bill you and so will the anesthesiologist. That runs about $3500...so we had to scrimp and save for that while paying the doctor month to month.

Sorry I don't have any other advice...

Can her husband still qualify for COBRA from his previous employer?? It's a little expensive but that's what I had to do when I was laid off at 5 month pregnant...
Best of luck

Has she actually applied for medicaid. I thought I didn't qualify either, but the criteria is different when you are pregnant. Also when we were applying the rep told me about another program through medicaid. I can not remember what it was called (like Green Star or something), but it pays partially. The rep told me they usually don't advertise it. You have to ask for it.

The CHIPS program also helps women who are pregnate. It is like Medicade but it is for those who make more than the medicade limit.

1 / 3