Labor and Delivery @ Kaiser

Does anyone have any experience in labor and delivery at Kaiser? I delivered my first baby at Irvine Regional because Kaiser Lakeview didn't have any beds available for me. I am having a planned c-section at the end of November and I don't really know much about how they treat you there. I have the option to go to Lakeview or Sand Canyon. Do you have your own recovery room? Does the baby stay with you at all times? Any thoughts and opinions are greatly appreciated.

Wow, thanks for all the responses. I have my c-section scheduled for November 21st and I still had time to move it to another Kaiser. But from hearing all the positives about Lakeview, I'm going to keep it. I was really hesitant about it because of one harsh L&D nurse I ran into while I was asking questions after an u/s during my first pregnancy. And I was also concerned about having my own room. But I feel a lot better now. Thank you mommies!!! =)

Hi T.. My baby was born at Kaiser Lakeview five months ago and I really liked the attention given to us.
My baby was all the time with me in my own room.
Congratulations

hey i delivered at Irvine regional also, last December....itis funny how they tell you that almost no one gets sent to Irvine but almost everyone I know got sent .... anyways I love the new hospital Sand Canyon...it is clean, bright and the baby stays with you most of the time. I would opt for Sand Canyon Thats what i am going to do next time! hope I helped!

Double Thumbs up at Kaiser Lakeview. I had both my sons there and had a great experience both times. The CNMs are willing to work with you for your perfect birth, and the care after was really good. The baby stays in the room with you. Congratulations!

BTW, stay as long as your insurance lets you; don't go home early just because you feel well. Let them take care of you both, so you can get some sleep before you head home. Good luck.

T.,

Congrats on the new baby!! I just had my second son at Lakeview in January. It was no problem. I had a c-section and I had a private room after recovery. I was in the recovery room for about 1 1/2 hours. The baby is able to stay with you at all times. I don't know if you have ever had a c-section before but it is hard to take care of the baby the first two days. It is really hard to get up. The nurses are really understanding and are ready to help you with anything you need. I don't know if they are still doing this because it was a pilot program when I was there but they did a celebration dinner my me and my husband. The food was really good. We got cheesecake and we also got to choose our meal. They also gave us Martinelli's Sparkling cider with champagne glasses. It was really nice. The doctor's are very good about answering your questions. The hospital is very clean and the rooms are cleaned very often. I had my first son at Kaiser Sunset in LA and Lakeview is so much nicer!!!Hope this helps!! Good luck!!

DO NOT USE KAISER ANAHEIM UNLESS YOU ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO!!!!! The staff at that hospital is TERRIBLE! They were rude to me on the phone and in person WHILE I WAS IN LABOR! Long story short I was bleeding uncontrollably by the time I finally showed up at the hospital because they told me I wasn't in actual labor (3 times over the phone). The nurse had the nerve to get mad at me for "not cleaning up well enough" before I urinated in the cup after my arrival. I went in because I couldn't walk anymore due to the contractions and I was dilated to 8 when they finally checked me. After all that, there wasn't a labor and delivery room and therefore I had a baby in a room so small that the clear bassinet that they put the baby in had to be kept outside of the room and I gave birth with no pain killers with the damn door wide open! I have also heard a couple other horror stories from that hospital as well.

I can not vouch for Kaiser Irvine. I got to go to Sand Canyon to have my son and I was treated so well that I could go on for days about how WONDERFUL my family and I were treated. Irvine hadn't opened yet.

~V

Hi T.,

I delivered at Kaiser Lakeview December 2007. My experience there was great. I'm not sure how much a planned C-section would vary from a vaginal birth, which I had. I will tell you the birthing room (I am guessing you won't be in) was very nice, spacious and remodeled. The room you are in afterward is private, but otherwise not too impressive. Our son did stay with us the whole time. He only left our sight for about 20 minutes to get circumcised. Of all the nurses we had (the have 8 hour shifts) there was only one I didn't care for too much. Overall we were treated well and I have no complaints. Of course my son was very healthy and I didn't have very much intervention, if you will. I don't know if my experience would have been any different had their been complications. Hope this helps, but if you have specific questions or would like more information let me know.

I delivered my 2nd at Kaiser Southbay - and had a WONDERFUL experience. I wish I had delivered my 1st one there!

Hi T.,

Congrats on your latest little one! I delivered both my boys (4 and 2) at Lakeview, so it has been a couple of years, but overall my experience was average. No major issues, but overall not a place I wanted to be. My first was born on a day when everyone went into labor, it seemed, and I got the last, tiny room. That meant after he was born they took him out into the hall to assess him ect- there was no room for the warmer in my room!! They then hurried me upstairs (in a wheelchair that didn't have foot rests!) to my post-delivery room so they could free up my tiny room for the gals in labor in the hall.

My second son's delivery was much better. I got a great, large room and didn't feel as rushed out as the last time. We received good care, not great (nurse didn't believe I was fully dilated because my labor was only 3 hrs. I had to insist she check me; I was bearing down!!). Lakeview is noisy (intercom goes off all night and day in your room), but the staff we encountered were friendly. If I had my choice, I would have gone elsewhere for baby #2, but insurance choice was limited. BTW, baby #2 was born at 6:30 am and we were home by 8 pm that same night. My husband and I didn't want to spend the night- that should tell you something!

With Kaiser it seems like your care is kinda based on luck and timing- first come, first to get the best care. But, Sand Canyon may be better, being a new hospital. Good Luck!!

Hi T.! I delivered Madelynn at Lakeview Kaiser and had a really great experience. You have your own room, unless they are overcrowded. Your little one stays with you except to go for their bath, which I went with her for that. I didn't have a c-section so I'm not sure how that part of the process is, but all of my nurses were very nice and nurturing. My midwife was Marci Salmon and I also saw Hillary Askanese....both amazing women. There was one nurse who was a little pushy and tried to get me to give formula when Maddie couldn't latch on, but other than that one nurse I have no complaints at all. I hope Olivia and your family is doing well and best wishes on #2!! Oh, they also have a foldout chair in the room for your hubby and I agree with another response about the food......pretty awful. We brought food in.

1 / 3