Know Anybody Who Works for an Adoption Agency????

Since our boys are 2 and 4 now I am starting to think more about taking some classes to get a degree . I have interests in MANY areas but recently narrowed it down to adoption social worker(my husband said I can't do regular social work cuz I'll just bring every kid home:):):)....we ended up with 5 "godchildren" that we "invest in" on the regular basis from the time we worked at the Rescue mission)Does anybody know anyone who works for an adoption agency???I am just interested in what kind of degree I need and what really that type of job involves.
Thanks bunches

I would think the easiest thing to do is call one of the local colleges and talk to one of the counselors. They can tell you what you need as far as credits go and if they offer that degree plan and if they dont they should know who does. There are several great colleges around this area. Community Colleges offer up to an Associates degree and the Universities offer up to Doctorates. But a college counselor can tell you everything. Have a great day

I don't personally know any one but thought you may be able to call some adoption agencies and speak to the director to ask. I am sure requirements differ, depending on the state you live in. Good Luck!!

I work for a nonprofit agency. We hire employees and have student interns. The employees and student interns with social work degrees seem to be the best prepared to work with children and families who are in crisis. Their education and background with the two internships that they have to do in social work seems to better prepare them for the working world.

L., what a wonderful person you are! My thanks and best to you both for what you do. I personally do not know anyone in social work/adoption but have taken a few psych classes that worked with problem children and adolescents. I would advise speaking to a college counselor. They should have the information you are looking for and would be able to direct you through the programs and degrees needed. Good luck and God Bless you both!

I work for a nonprofit that has an adoption department. We do both domestic and international adoptions and generally the job requires a BSW or MSW.
Mostly the job requires doing homestudies, placing kids, and doing the work to ensure a successful placement....
feel free to email if you have specific questions:
sarahwyatt (at) holstonhome (dot) org

Hi L. - we used Miriam's Promise in Nashville, Tennessee and our Social Worker was Allison Balthrup. Their number is ###-###-####. She is great and good luck to you. I can tell you a good social worker makes all the difference in the world when you are going through such emotional situations that involve children.

God Bless You!

Cindi

i don't know anyone that works for an agency, but i want to comend you for working at a rescue mission, i worked at the ogden rescue mission in utah for many years as assistant to the women's director, i miss it since i moved to kentucky, so i have the same heart for the children esp the homeless ones so God bless you i will pray you find the info you need to reach your goals.

I would either google 'how to become an adoption social worker' or better yet, call your local adoption agency and ask them exactly what you would need to get hired there. They may even let you volunteer a few weeks to see if you would like it. You may also be able to call your church to see if they know of any agencies in the area that may need help. I think the best way to find out info on a career is to go to the source, you will get an honest answer.

1 / 3