Kitty Litter to Remove Oil Stains on Driveway?

Have any of you ever used kitty litter to try to remove oil stains from a blacktop driveway? Did it work?

Kitty litter soaks up oils/liquids but I've never heard of it removing a stain.

You may try going to an auto parts store and buying a liquid cleaner if it is an oil stain.
______________________
But for $3, I'd try the kitty litter on the stain anyway....

I grew up changing my own oil in my car and we used kitty litter to soak up oil spilled on the ground. I don't think it will remove a stain only get what's on the surface.

Liquid laundry detergent, scrub brush and a hose.

______________________

We bought the clumping litter and it worked on our concrete driveway. The stain was then very faint. Still there, but nothing like it was originally.

It will remove the oil on the surface but not always what the driveway has already absorbed.

You can find cleaners at any automotive store or use some Dawn dish soap and a scrub brush then rinse.

Make sure it is clay based, and it should work. It may take a few "applications", but I have gotten up several old stains. Just pour it on, let it sit, then sweep it up.

Not sure it will take away a stain but it works wonders for absorbing liquids / smells. My husband was putting gas in the lawnmower and spilled a bunch of it in the garage. We dumped the kitty litter in a thick layer over it and it took the liquid and smell away in no time. we did sweep it up and put a second layer down the next day and the smell is completely gone.

There are degreasers that work really well. Go to an auto parts store to find them.

It works if the litter is down BEFORE the stain. It absorbs all oil that might leak from the car. You need to catch it beforehand. Afterward, it might soak up some of the oil but whatever sets into the driveway is still going to be there. Go to Home Depot and get this powder formula that removes oil and auto stains from concrete. It is amazing! I cant remember what the heck it is called but it is a white powder that you sprinkle on the stain, brush it into the driveway, and the next day you rinse it away. This stuff works!!

Kitty litter works if the spill just happened (and the oil hasn't soaked into the concrete yet).

The best way I know of removing stains from concrete is very hot water and degreaser in a pressure washer. You can rent a pressure washer from United Rentals, Hertz Rentals, or anyplace like that. You can buy degreaser at Home Depot. It's important that you use hot water, because heat increases the effectiveness of alkali cleansers by more than double. If a pressure washer and degreaser don't work, the stain is permanent.