Kissing on the Lips?

Is it really weird to kiss your own child on the lips? I kiss my son on the lips, he is 7 1/2, so does my husband. Now that I think of it my whole family does. My grandmother was 96 when she passed and I still pecked her on the mouth hello and goodbye. Are we strange or is this a regional thing? Never really thought about it before until I read a post and some moms think it is gross. I'm not talking tongue lingering kisses. Just pecks.

I kiss on the mouth, only my family. Not my mom because she has always been on the cold side, no hugs nothing. But my dad was a hugger and a kisser. I kiss all my kids on the mouth. I see noting gross or wrong about it.

I don't think it's a regional thing. My parents did it to us, my sister did it to her kids, and I do with my nieces and will with my son. (and most of my siblings are halfsies, so a bunch of different influences there~!)

I'm a hybrid, lol. I have always done on the lips with my kids, until they started getting older, then it felt odd to me. So, most of the time I do cheek kisses or nose or forehead kisses for my 11 yr old son. My younger daughter still gets mostly lips, but I can already feel myself gradually leaning toward forehead and nose rubs with her too. lol

I kissed my folks on the lips... until I started getting bigger. I don't recall any particular thing or time when it became cheek pecks, but eventually it did. That's probably why I do what I do.

I think it depends on who you ask. I don't think a peck on the lips is creepy with people/family you know well....what creeps me out are the people who turn to get you on the lips when you are clearly going for their cheek!

(... this question reminded me of a recent SNL skit...
For those of you that don't know what I'm talking about, and do not get offended by things, I suggest you find it on hulu or youtube.)

I have a weird situation with kissing... I NEVER kissed my family growing up- I thought it was too "intimate"- I would allow them to kiss me on the cheek, but I wouldn't kiss them, and I still don't. I gave them big super-hugs instead. I'm a BIG hugger!

I do kiss my own family all the time, though (husband, and 4 daughters). I kiss them on the lips as babies/toddlers, but kiss them on the cheek around age 4 and up... Again, I think it is too intimate (I'm very particular-, and weird about this) of a thing to do. My husband and other family members don't have a problem with lips or cheek kissing- I cringe sometimes when I see lip-kissing...HA!

My family were cheek kissers...I married into mouth kissers....my kids do both and they have gone through phases where one was acceptable and one was not and then vice versa. This is very much a cultural thing and neither is right or wrong. The first time my father in law kissed me I was only engaged to my husband and it took me by surprise....I have since trained him to land on my cheek! It's not gross, it's all what you are used to.

God bless,

I don't think it's as much a regional thing as it is a religion thing. I personally kiss my daughter and all of my daycare kids on the lips everyday. I kiss my best friends (GIRLS!!!!) on the lips all the time and kiss acquaintences hello and goodbye on the cheeks. I think some people are just so uptight that they are uncomfortable showing innocent affection towards even their own children. Keep kissing!

PS. In 17 years of childcare, not ONE parent/family has objected to me kissing/letting the kids kiss me on the lips. MANY of them have said that they are so glad to see me treat their children like family and love that their children want to kiss me goodbye every day. Just FYI.

I kiss my boys on the lips, but they are only 4 and 2. I'm sure that will stop when they get closer to 8 or so. Me personally, I remember kissing my parents on the lips when I was young, but once I got a little older, it creeped me out... still does, and every now and then my mom will try and plant one on me. Can't even stand it if she gets my cheek. But each family dynamic is diffreent and so long as some are comfortable (like my mom and sis) then it's fine.

And sorry to offend this other poster, but if a daycare person or teacher or friend's parents or anyone who wasn't very close family or whatever kissed my kids on the lips, I would definately have some words with them. To me, it's not an innocent affection thing, but teaching young children boundries of who is okay to touch you and of course, the germ issue, (but especially a childcare provider who was kissing multiple children, that's just wrong).

That's funny...I think about this too. I actually tried to teach my daughter to be a cheek kisser, I prefer it, especially when they get older, but she just didn't do it. She apparently taught herself to be a mouth kisser! ;) I think it's fine and more normal than I once thought for sure, but I do think eventually I'm going to move towards the cheek.

1 / 3