Kissing My Son

Is it awkward to be kissing my 10 year old son? I dropped him off at school after a dr's appt and he kissed me goodbye. We did a quick peck on the lips. The look I got from the girls working in the office was like they were mortified that I still kiss my son goodbye. He is a very affectionate child and very sweet. I think it is great that he still wants to hug and kiss me goodbye, but it obviously makes others uncomfortable. What do you think? Do you still kiss your children?

Thank you so much for all your answers. To Mrsiamlove--that is so funny you wrote that because that is what kind of sparked this question. My son definitely doesnt grab my boob :-) I saw that story though, and then thought about the reaction I got from the ladies in the school office and thought, where do you draw the line. Is giving a quick peck too much?
I am going to keep giving my son kisses. I grew up in a very NON touchy, kissy, huggy family and it makes me sad sometimes. So I am going to enjoy them as long as I can get them.
Thanks for all your wonderful words.

I Still kiss my mom (I'm 34) and would hope that my DS (19 months) will kiss me for a loong loong time :-) LOL
WHO CARES WHAT OTHERS THINK :-) enjoy the kisses

I'm 31 and my parents, aunts, uncles, grandparents kiss me on the lips. I kiss my 8yo. There's uptight people everywhere, and there are people to whom it means nothing, and there are people that just have great relationships with their growing and grown children.

Don't let uptight people sweat you.

I'm jealous....my 6 yr old son won't kiss me in public....tell 'mortified' onlookers to kiss off, lol

My family is European so for us it's VERY normal. I’ve never noticed anyone giving me strange looks when I kiss my kids though. My daughter is 13 and most Moms tell me how jealous they are of our close bond and wish their children still wanted to hug, kiss and cuddle!

Even as an adult, I would kiss my parents. The girls at your work seriously need to chill. Do they have children? If they did, why would they think there was a magic age one should stop being affectionate with them? Just a thought.

Don't let uptight people sweat you.

I kiss my boys everyday, but they are 4 and 17 months. I little different. But I still kiss both of my parents on the mouth and I'm 27. So there you go. If your son is still ok with it them there is nothing wrong with it at all, I think you are teaching him that affection for parents is appropriate and it will help him to be a more respectful man in my eyes.

If it's not awkward for you or for him, it's not awkward. Who cares what other people "might" be thinking? You can't really know unless they tell you. They may have a touch of indigestion, jealousy, or surprise.

And if they are indeed mortified by a quick kiss, I figure that's too bad for them.

My son is 9 and still kisses me goodbye on the lips. A friend commented about it being "gross" the other day, and I told the boy that different families have different habits, and in our family we give kisses. I remember when I was in 6th grade my mom got her feelings really hurt when I asked her not to hug me in front of my friends, so I've always been sensitive to my children's leading. This is my 4th child and I will treasure his love as long as I can. My other kids have graduated to hugs, except my oldest son that is 28, he will smooch me on the lips still. <3

1 / 3