Kindergarten Student on Bus for Almost 2 Hours.

Does anyone happen to know what the laws are on how long a child can be on a bus. My 6 year old son is in Kindergarten and was on the bus for almost 2 hours yesterday. Today should be about 1/2 hr earlier and then hopefully another 15 min in a week or so. My 3 1/2 year old daughter will be riding the bus home from preschool starting on Tuesday. I'd rather her not be on a bus that long. The bus information published in the paper was wrong and it was published anyway. It stated the wrong bus number for my child to return on and listed the incorrect drop of time. I recently read an article about how long children are allowed on a bus and I would like to have the info when I contact the bus garage to complain. This is in no way the bus drivers fault as she is very upset by the whole situation. Any website address or information you can give me would be greatful. Thanks.

I greatly appreciate the suggestions I have received. However, before I receive any more suggestion about driving my child to school, let me explain why I would rather not. My daughter will be starting preschool at the same school my son attends. She will go to afternoon preschool 4 days a week half a day. Therefore, I would make a 20 mile trip to take my kid to school, 20 mile trip home. Wait about 2 1/2 hrs and take the same 40 mile round trip to drop off my daughter. I would then have to wait another 2 hrs and pick them up. That is 120 miles a day 4 days a week and 80 miles on Friday. That is a lot of mileage to drive just because the system is too bullheaded to change the schedule. They have cut back on the drivers mileage by combining routes and in the long run, they have upset most of their parents. I could drive my children to school but what about all the other children left on their buses for over an hour. Some of these children are going to a babysitter who cannot load up the children she is watching to pick up another. I'm looking for a way to change the system.

Here is the info I have found..
There is no identified target number that districts are obligated to meet. It is up to
each school district to manage the length of time students ride the bus. Ride
times vary by traffic; locality and numerous other criteria—each school district’s
ride times can be different.
My children do not complain of their bus ride and their welfare is in no danger. This district has changed their school times and bus routes. Many children are still on the bus for hours. My children are on the bus for around 1 hour and 15 minutes. They are supposed to have a new system put in place to save money but all it has done is put children on the bus longer. Unfortunatley, this school district is strapped for cash and the need to save money is more important than the children.

This is from the Ohio Dept. of Ed. Website, Pupil Transportation
http://www.ode.state.oh.us/GD/Templates/Pages/ODE/ODEDeta...

General requirements.
(1) Each school district shall establish its own reasonable travel time.
Travel time is defined as beginning at the initial pickup of the child
and ending with the final arrival at the school destination.
The school district shall develop its travel time standard,
approved by the individual board of education, and shall consider
the following factors: age of child, condition of disability,
geographic size of school district, location of special education
class, traffic patterns, and roadway conditions.

All states have different laws about how long a child is allowed to be on a bus. Don't call the bus garage to complain. You need to call the school's transportation number to complain about the issue. The garage only keeps the busses and does not set up the time schedule. The time schedule needs to be dealt with through the school system itself.

I am 31 and have been married for almost 12 yrs. My husband and I have 3 boys ages 10,7, and 4.

General requirements.

I have never heard of any laws or rules about how long a student can be on a bus. Where we live, a very growing area that redistricts our children all the time, we try to have no child on the bus for more than half an hour each way - but chances are that will change to more like 45+ minutes as people move further out from where the existing schools are. It's a bummer, but not sure your school transportation director can do much to help you. Interested to know what other info you find.

When my children were younger, I put them on the bus because the school they went to was across town. The three went together, 5th, 2nd and kindergarten. Our experience was similar however it did get shorter as the year went on but only marginally. Our bus also didn't come into walking range of our house so I had to drive there anyway to get them. Also, our middle child is very ADHD/ aspergers and the time on the bus was more than he could handle. I decided to pick them up at school and we could be home to see the other parents waiting for their kids. The kids loved that. Then we added driving them there as well, it added 20 minutes to their sleeping time and that made us all happy. When the oldest went to middle school, she took the bus but we continued to drive the elementary kids. One year we did do a car pool, but decided I enjoyed the time with my own children a little to much to add in someone who could be difficult at times. I always refer to our time in the car as captive audience time as we talk about just about everything in there. Sometimes it can get a little deep, other times there have been things that happened at school that when I found out, we turned the car around and went to see what the problem was. This was some of the most precious time I spent with my kids. Now the oldest drives the middle to high school and the youngest rides with me. We still have great conversations.

2 hrs. does sound like an excessive amount of time. The school where I live, is a rural school but all the longer any of the routes are is 1 hr.
If you don't live real far out, think of just going and picking him up and dropping him off. Lots of parents do that due to work schedules etc... you don't have to be a work away from home parent to drop off and pick up.!!!!
Most schools have a policy that the ACTUAL driver has to call every family on the bus route before school starts (usually a few days ahead)and let them know what the pick up and drop off time will be. All drivers if new, are supposed to drive their routes before school starts, so they can give accurate times.
My husband was a full time school bus driver for 34 years and still subs once in a while.
Unfortunately some parents don't inform the school like they should, if they are babysitting and will have extra kids getting on/off at their location, or if their kids one day get dropped off here and another day somewhere else.
Our school here in Anna, OH, is very particular about that kind of thing.
The first person to contact is the elementary principle, then actually the superintendants office. Here the superintendant secretary does a lot with the bus schedules.

I have the same problem this year. My son is going to preschool and in order to get there at 12:15, they wanted to pick him at 10:20! I would have to serve him lunch at 9:30 and obviously that won't work. Plus he has Autism, so I can only imagine his behavior issues after sitting that long. What I don't understand is last year he went to the same school,we lived in the same place, and he was only on the bus for 45 minutes. When I called the head of transportation she said she has had several complaints for the same thing, and there's nothing they can do! I am now taking him to school and requested gas mileage reimbursement. I have to wait a month after turning it in, but it's better than nothing. Maybe ask about that.

Well, stranger!!! Who would have thought that when I sat down at the computer today and started reading all my mamasource emails that I would find YOU on here!!!!!!
This bus thing sure is a mess isn't it? I just pick up all the kids in the afternoon rather than get them off the bus because, even though their bus stop is 4 miles from the school, they were going to be on teh bus 45 minutes. That's just ridiculous IMO.
(BTW... This is Jeremiah's mom)

How far away are their schools? If I were you I wouldn't even put them on a school bus. They are too young. I would take them to school and pick them up, especially if it isn't too far away. Of course, that is just my opinion.
G. A.

1 / 3