Kindergarten Parent Reading Project

I am going to be the "mystery reader" for my son's class the first week in May. I will be reading a book and then helping the children make a simple art project related to the story. I am looking for some creative and inexpensive ideas. I was thinking about doing a story about seeds, and having the children plant seeds in a cup, but that was already done. I was also thinking about reading "Go Away Big Green Monster," my sons favorite book, and having the children make monsters from pre cut body parts, but my son said his teacher already read the book. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

What about "Hi Pizza Man" by Virginia Walter? You can have them make their own fake pizza on cheap cardboard plates. You can even have cut-out of different pizza topings, so they can choose the toppings they like.

The book Wake Up Engines is great, and full of real vehicles as well as pretend. You could take pieces of paper towel tube and let the kids make pretend vehicles from them -- airplane, street sweeper, etc that are in the book. They can draw on them and then move them around (the class could take butcher paper and draw a big map for things to "drive around" on...)

How about "Skippyjon Jones in Mummy Trouble" Then you can bring Popsicle sticks and have them make a "stick figure" mummy and some toilet paper so they can wrap the oldy-moldy mummy so they can rest in peas, por favor. TP is cheap ;) and kids love it!

One of my daughter's favorite books was "What Makes a Rainbow?" You could find it at a bookstore. With each page you turn, it adds a color to the rainbow with ribbon. We read that book several times a day sometimes! Then you could maike rainbows by either coloring them or have a bunch of strips cut or torn from construction paper and paste them to a bigger sheet.
Have fun being the mystery reader. Your son will love it that you are there!

My son's favorite book these last few days has been "Tootles", One of the books with the Golden binder. The book was written in 1945. It's about a train that wouldn't stay on the Tracks, you can have the class make red flags before the story and have them wave the flags every time it shows up in the story. Very interactive!

In terms of books to read, kids that age love the Pigeon books by Mo Willems ("Don't let the pigeon stay up late" or "Don't let the pigeon drive the bus"). Not sure about an art project with it... Maybe having everyone draw birds??!
I think your idea about a seed book is good. Instead of planting seeds, you could have them make a flower "grow" by having the stem folded accordian style so it opens up and gets taller and taller...

Go to the Scholastic Books website. They have tons of suggestions and recommendations.

Anything by Eric Carle is good for this age group. They are simple, meaningful stories and the artwork is beautiful. You could use "The Very Hungry Catepillar" and have them make butterflies out of tissue paper.

Good luck and have fun with your son's class!

I'm stealing this idea from my daughter who did it for a Girl Scout leadership project. She read "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie". She cut out large brown circles and little shapes or stickers, then each child decorated their own cookie. She also baked cookies for the troop (that may not be allowed for the classroom).

Have Fun!

1 / 3