Kindergarten Graduate

Hello Mamas,

My daughter is graduating from Kindergarten at the end of this month. We have been very proud of her throughout the whole year. She has done an awesome job on everything. She is the 1st grandchild on both sides of the family. We are going to have a little get together for her at our home the weekend after her last day at school. I am just wondering what you ladies think is a good idea about going about this. I do not expect gifts for my daughter and I do not wish for family to bring gifts. I more or less just want everyone to be able to come and congratulate her on an awesome job.

To those of you who think this is not a big deal....

There are children that are not continuing on to the next grade and have to retake Kindergarten. Do any of you have a Kindergartener? In Kindergarten my daughter has learned to read, spell, and has began math. These are the basics of building an education. Where would any child be if they did not learn the basics. And I do not think one graduation party is going to lead to having to have a party at the end of every school year. Do you have a birthday party EVERY year? No. This is the same basic concept. And yes I plan to also do this when my other children graduate Kindergarten. In our family, we have celebrations for the people we are proud of! Please do not ridicule me and my family for showing our pride in our daughter!

There really is no way to say "don't bring gifts" if you are sending invitations. Family will probably want to bring her a gift becasue that's what grandparents do :)

No I don't think this is a good idea.
This is where our children get the idea of entitlement when they really haven't done anything. Seriously - Graduation from Kindergarten? Who fails kindergarten these days? While you may be very proud of your child- What do you think she has done that is so "awesome". Stop making her think that shes done some great feat - when she hasn't. Real graduation happens at the end of high school - that's why they call it K- K12. You have a milestone to celebrate at 8th grade and then finally high school. This is just one step for your daughter starting her journey. If you want to celebrate this with a mother/daughter/father grandmother thingy then go do it. But don't fill her mind up with false praise and celebrations and certainly don't subject others to having to come to a kindergarten graduation party.

I would continue the desire to learn and create either a scrapbook, picture book, or letter book. Guests would be asked to participate in making her book. You can make something on Snapfish.com or Shutterfly.com. The guests could write her a letter and you could keep them in a scrapbook. I've also heard of heard of people giving books instead of cards at parties. Kindergartners love to celebrate different events, so maybe she could read a small book at her party, teach her family how to sing one of her songs, etc.

Why not just name the party "start of the summer party" like y'know a regular Memorial day party (or whenever the party will be held). If you really dont want gifts, just don't call it a graduation party - I mean, seriously, you don't "graduate" from kindergarten - that is belittling what a real graduation is. You can write on the invite that your daughter has worked really hard and had a great year and we want to celebrate the start of the summer...etc.

Well you could make an invitation that mentions no gifts and if they feel that they have to give something then what about starting a savings account (there are sooo many options for high interest rate long term savings or investments...) for her - toward college or travel or...
Maybe at the party set up a silly hat area or all her favorite stuffed animals and have a photo printer and some frames. She could make all kinds of dress up pictures with the family and keep them to remember the event - and for the proud grandparents too of course!
Congratulations to your little girl!

You can pick up one of those stuffed graduation dogs from a party supply store and have everyone sign it when they arrive at the party. That maybe a fun thing for her to receive. Or you can put together a special scrapbook filled with pictures from her kindergarten year and ask everyone who shows up at the party to maybe decorate one of the pages or write a little note to her about one of their favorite memories from her this past year.

I would do a cute invitation or e-vite and say "no gifts, thank you" at the bottom. Or, instead of gifts, you could suggest a small donation to her favorite charity. For example, my 4-year old and I save our extra change and once the container is full, we donate it to Feed the Children. Have fun!

The graduation from preschool and the graduation from Kindergarten are very important and special days for children! You definitely should do a little celebration. You might consider a keepsake that all the friends and family members can sign for your daughter. Perhaps a memory book, or a big poster you can laminate. If you are crafty, perhaps even quilting sqares. Even a t-shirt that everyone could sign would be fun.
I definitely don't think anyone would ridicule you for celebrating a special day! Congratulations to your daughter for completing Kindergarten. It's important for children to feel proud of their accomplishments! This is only the beginning of preparing her for many other accomplishments in her life, and each one should be marked and celebrated in different ways.

1 / 3