Kindergarten Eye Exam Requirement

Hi - I went to register my son for Kindergarten today and was told he must have an eye exam in order to register. I'm fine with this, howver we don't have vision insurance so I'll be paying out of pocket. Do you have a recommendation of where I could obtain an eye exam for kindergarten. It can be an optometrist or opthamologist and I'm assuming the optometrist may be cheaper? Thanks for the advice! :)

The shopper saver coupon packs that come in the mail with deals on exams and glasses. We go to sears mostly at Woodfield. But all stores give a cheaper price when you pay cash.

all local eye glass stores do them pretty cheap. 20/20, visioncenter, walamart, sears whatever is by you

Does it have to be done by an eye doctor? My daughter's pediatrician did one at her 4 year check up.

Most Targets and Walmarts have eye docs at their stores and I think it's only $75 to get one done without insurance.

I'd recommend The Eye Boutique in Naperville (75th & Naper Blvd - not sure if that's too far for you)!

Dr. Lisa Spevacek is so sweet and very friendly =) Also, I believe it was $49 for the exam in the summer of 2010 when I took my daughter!

I didn't have vision insurance and our medical Bc/Bs insur picked up the cost because we went to an opthamologist. Check your med benefits--I was totally surprised.

I'd call your Primary Care Provider's office and ask them if your son's doctor performs complete eye examinations. If so, you can just go there.

Otherwise, I'd do Wal-Mart, which is where I got my eye exams done when I was in college and had no insurance.

Unless you see your child having issues like sqinting. Headaches,or has a medical condition like diabetes, thyroid or chronic facial pain call around to walmart, sams, target, visionworks, americas best eyewear. Most have school exam specials of 45.00 or less. Check on glasses ranges when you call just in case so you go to the best price place in case they put the child in glasses. Make sure to have the school required form with you and fill in your portiin before you go to the appointment.

1 / 3