Kids Games for a Family Reunion

Hello! I just found out that I am in charge of the kids games for our family reunion this Sat...just looking for some different ideas. The kids range in age from 3 yrs to 13ish. We normally do a sack race & water balloon toss. I have a great recipe for homemade bubble solution- that will occupy the younger kids for a while (at least our 3yr old looooves blowing & chasing bubbles)! I thought about baking sugar cookies & letting them decorate them...any good icing recipes? Thanks in advance for your ideas!

I just wanted to thank everyone again for ALL the GREAT game ideas!! All the kids (& my husband & I) had such a good time! They loved the frozen t-shirts, they felt sooo good on such a hot afternoon~ they didnt want to take them off :) And they loved the silly clothes game. The 9 yr old boy that ended up with the Hawaiian accessories- complete with a coconut bra was such a good sport- he even did a little dance. I also did a pinata- that was a HUGE hit, along with a variety of the water related games suggested!! So much fun! Thanks again!!! Im ready to start planning for next year!!!! :)

You have a lot of good ideas already but I just wanted to add one more... lay a sheet out on the grass (sit rocks on the corners to hold in place, set up several shallow buckets and fill them with different color paint, fill the last bucket with soapy water (for washing)and help all of the kids dip their hands (or feet but that might be messier) into a color and place them on the sheet. You could even ask the older kids to help be in charge of different parts of the activity. The finished sheet could be a table cloth for next year or a prize for one of the grandparents :)

oooh this sounds fun! I have one that can be used (thank goodness it's summer time) take a bunch of one size fits all T-shirts-WET them, WRING them out, FOLD them (while wet!) and place wax paper in between each folded shirt, and once they are all folded, place them in the freezer to freeze. The day of the games when the sun is hot and high, you seperate the group between ages (older group and younger group)**3-4 year olds may be too young for this. And you have a race in each group -who can unfold and put on the frozen T-shirt first. The first one to do this wins!
Otherwise you have other ideas such as the toliet paper model race (where you give each group) packet of toilet paper to create an outfit, whoever comes out with the best idea wins, this will be determined by someone other than family to be objective.
Any other ideas can be found by googling "kid activities to do outdoors".
Best of luck.

We always had HUGE family reunions when I was a kid and I remember the sack race and the water balloon tosses!
I also remember the shoe pile scramble (all shoes in a jumbled pile, gotta run over find & put on both of your shoes & get back to the finish line first with both of your shoes on).
There was also an egg on a spoon race (hold the spoon w/egg in your teeth --maybe older kids only? And a game of passing an orange down the line of teams but you could not use you hands (neck to neck, etc)
Also can do an egg toss--like a water balloon toss.
Spin art machine by Crayola for the younger kids might be fun.

It's great reading this since I'm looking for ideas for an upcoming event too.

One that is popular with our kids: you get a few balls of yarn (same size balls) - and go outside and start winding the yarn all around... around trees, under things, etc. until it runs out. Then the kids all get to go and grab and end (you will have to know where the ends are) and see who can find their partner the quickest. We have done it in some pretty funny places and sometimes wrap around a post or tree several times.

Another popular, but silly: get a bag of strange or silly clothing items. They have to pass it around to music and when the music stops, they reach in (without looking) grab something - and they have to put it on. If you have enough silly clothes, gloves, hats, boas, etc it looks pretty funny by the end.

Have fun!

I was looking for ideas myself last month and came across this website... http://pbskids.org/zoom/activities/games/

Some of these games sound really fun.

Best of luck.

For games, how about a tea cup race (water filled tea cups on saucers that the kids try not to spill as they race) or a homemade obstacle course. As far as icing goes, I'm sure that there are dozens of recipes out on the internet for that. I'm not much of a baker, so I don't have a good recipe for that.

Hello, here are a few ideas that I thought of for your family reunion:

You can make homemade playdough (that will keep them busy for a while), have an egg and spoon race, a bean bag toss game (fill a ziplock baggie with rice or any small noodles and have the kids toss them into a lage coffee cans), a dunk for apples game, musical chairs, the magic ball game, if you are around pavement you can bring chalk and have them be an artist and make wonderful designs, Use the chalk and made a hop scotch, pin the tail on the donkey, or if your out shopping you can look for a parachute (I have one and I bring it out for playdate parties and holiday parties, the kids love playing with it. I think I bought mine at Target or maybe a teachers supply store. It's a smaller version that Gymboree uses).
As for a an icing recipe, I have a homemade one. Use a 2 pound bag of powder sugar, 2 cups of Criso (the white solid), and 1/4 cup of water. Mix together it will be hard at first, but I keep adding a little more water while it is in the mixer, until it's a smooth consistency-not too runny. After mixing, use as white icing or seperate and add different food coloring. When done mixing, spread on cookies or cakes. OR you can go the easy way and buy white frosting in a can and add food coloring to it. The homemade is delicious, but the Pillsbury can frosting is the easiest.
I hope you have a wonderful and funny time at your family reunion!

Jacqueline

At a church picnic we had a whistling contest. Every participant had to eat a cracker then whistle. The first one to whistle was the winner. Relay races with stretches where you have to crawl, walk backwards, skip, hop on one foot, etc are fun. How about hot potato or musical chairs (use carpet squares or towels as "mats" instead of chairs). Have fun!

1 / 3