Kids Bathing Together

My kids are - 2 1/2 year old son and almost 5 year old daughter. Right now they still bathe together. However, I have found them doing somethings that in the future will not be acceptable. Like my son laying on my daughter, in the tub, to give her a rasberry. It is purely harmless now but..... I was wondering at what age I should seperate there baths. Also, another thing to consider, my husband is deploying in mid Dec for 1 year. I want my nighttime schedule to be easy so I can have some "me time." My kids love to play together in the bath so I hate to make them take seperate baths. Any suggestion on what you have done or think I should do would be great!

Thanks everyone for your replys! I think, for my sanity, I will still allow them to bathe together and again explain that certain body parts are not to be touched by others!

Now would be a good time to seperate them. It will become such a habit, they will be following one another to the bathroom.

These issues hit close to home for me. So if there was something along this line that I was questioning or doubting or wondering about, I would play it safe. I would rather be safe then sorry in this situation. Just my opinion.

My children also bathe together, it is much easier to get it done in one bath, not to mention saving time and water. My son is 5 and my daughter is 2 1/2, so we have the same situation but opposite sexes. My children also lay on each other now and tickle and play. I am going to let them bathe together until they begin to notice each other in a different way. A friend told me that once her son started to ask about his sister's "parts" and started to ask to look at them more closely, she separated them. My 5 yr old son will make note of himself, playfully, not sexually, but he has never even made notice of my daughter's parts. If you make it an issue, it will be, so make sure not to make mention of them laying on each other unless it is face to face while naked and you notice that it may make them begin asking questions. My son also likes showers now more than baths so there are times when he just quickly takes a shower while my daughter plays in the tub. We have a shower head that is the massager that you can remove from the top so I have him stand in the tub, I wash him, and then take the shower head and rinse him. He is done in under 5 mins. while my daughter is sitting in the tub playing.

Use your best judgement, I think you will know when it is time but in the meantime, I think it is perfectly normal.

W.

L.,
You are completely correct what they are doing right now is harmless. I am a Child Protective Service Worker. I also am a mother of two ( 6years and 3 years) and they bathe together except they are both boys. My friend has two children that bathe together one is 6 and a girl the other is 3 and a boy. I think once she starts asking questions or the other starts looking and trying to touch private place, which is totally normal childhood development is when it would to stop. I understand needing time by yourself you are a military wife. My husband was also in the military and I have lived in this military town my whole life. I made him get out after 4 years because I did not want to move and leave my family. If you are anywhere near the Camp Lejeune Area and need some local family, give an email. I think you rock as it is very hard to have to worry about all the household stuff, the kids, your husband, etc. You are great. I am very Patriotic and think our boys are doing great jobs, but wish they would come home. I have relatives over there. Basically do what you have to do, and just talk to them and tell them what is appropriate and what they should do in private versus together. Hope this was helpful, A..

My mom (now in heaven) had a real problem with me bathing our different-gender kids together. I just started putting underwear on them while they bathed. If you're right there with them and they aren't intrigued with each other's private parts, it's OK.

I believe it is time to seperate your children. I have a 3 yr old boy and a 6yr old girl. I give her a bath first and then it is his turn. At a certain age there curiousity is very strong even thogh it is inocent it is a sign to stop bathing them.

Your daughter will become uncomfortable. I bathed with my brother 21/2 yrs younger than I , for awhile. Seems like by 6, I wasn't anymore. We had lots of good times, and it made no difference. I am 63 now.

Simply explain to them that touching other peoples private parts is not ok. Please keep your hands to your self. Be very matter-of -fact about it.

It is natural, (tho creepy-remember we have way more attached to that then they do), so, simply outline the rules for them & keep them enforced. My method of enforcement is to simply remove the kids from the tub. No anger, no yelling. Just "I'm sorry, next time please follow the rules"

I'd avoid changing the routine if Hubby is about to leave. That will be hard enough for them.

Mine are 3 & 5, youngest is a girl. I couldn't imagine splitting their bathtime up unless one of them wanted to.

most doctors and experts say by age 3 so i would go ahead a separate them now

They are too young to think that bathing together is wrong. Simply tell them that those parts are for themselves only. That no one is too touch them. I told my kids (B-7, G-4) that God gave them those special parts to go to the bathroom only and that if someone ever touches them that they need to tell us. Let them be kids and DO NOT change the routine. We stop sharing bath time when our son turned six.

1 / 3