Kids and Their Clothes

Has anyone figured out how to get their kids to simply put their dirty clothes in a hamper that they are standing right next to or to put clean clothes in their drawers?
My 7 and 10 year-olds are too lazy, for the most part. Yet they sure can complain that they don't have anything to wear! I go into their rooms to find clothes all over the floor, and then lots of them dirty. But how do I know which is which?

I thought about telling them I would only wash what is in a hamper, but my older one will just wear them filthy. I really don't want him to go around looking like he gets his clothes from a trash dumpster-it kinda reflects on me.

I believe I know how they think: Gotta hurry and get outta here, so just drop or throw. If in slightly playful mood: maybe twirl and throw.

OR am I asking too much? I'm starting to wish I had all their dresser drawers under lock and key--off with the dirty into the hamper; be issued a clean one.

Anyway, has anyone mastered this yet? Somehow I doubt dolling up the hamper to look like a target or basketball net would work for long, I've thought of that, too.

I could use some suggestions. Anybody got any?

Hi D. - Any clothes I find on the floor go into a bag in my closet. My 10 year old daughter then has to "earn" them back if she wants something. (Folding a load of Laundry = 2 items, emptying the dishwasher is 1 item etc.) Anything that is not claimed within 2 weeks goes to Good Will. (Although I have never taken anything there). Also, I still remind her to pick-up her clothes after a shower and before bed, etc. so she does have the opportunity to clean-up. Good Luck!

I do think the no stories at bedtime until the room is cleaned up is a good idea. But something more drastic I use for toys is. If its on the floor you must not need/want it.

I'd tell them from now on everyday you will go into their rooms while they are at school. Whatever is on the floor you assume is for donation to the Salvation Army. Take it all and its up to you if you really do donate it. Hide it if you'd like and they can "earn" it back. Once they start losing stuff their attitude will change!

Either that or the you get 4 shirts, when I see you can be responsible for that you will get 1 more a week.

http://reviews.kmart.com/2348/9990000011520911P/reviews.htm

I put that right in the bathroom, and there is still a hamper in each of my boys' rooms.

At their age, I would try an incentive system, stickers for each time they do it, and then once they reach x, a small reward, such as picking the tv show they want to watch or something.

Hard to go back once they are out of the box!

Keep repeating Don't put it down, put it away! I can still hear it from my mother saying it and it works! I also require it as part of their allowance. Also, all clothes picked up and into hamper before bedtime reading. I moved the hamper out into the room instead of the closet and this little thing seems to make it easier! Good luck, you must insist on this!!

This is a struggle...but it CAN work.

My kids (9 & 12) must have their floors cleaned before they leave for school. If they miss the bus because they don't finish on time, I take them and charge them cab fare. It doesn't take too many times of paying for a ride to school before they'll put their clothes away. (I encourage them to do it at night so there's no rush in the morning, but it's really their choice...that way, they do have SOME say in the matter.) If they get on the bus without doing it (and it's a busy morning and I haven't inspected it), my 12 YO loses video game time for the day...you've got to hit them where it hurts. Sound mean? The stakes are small when they are young...they need to learn responsibility now so they don't lose a job or a marriage later b/c they've never learned to do the right thing. I'm their mom...full of love for them...but I'm not their maid!

I have a 36 year old husband that I can't get to put his dirty clothes in the hamper. I'm not sure that there is a solution.

You kids are certainly capable of putting their clothes in the hamper. My ten year old washes her own clothes and puts them away. You need to give them consequences for not doing it. I have a checklist of what my kids need to do before bedtime and in the morning. One of the things is to put their dirty clothes in the hamper each evening and dirty pj's and underwear in the hamper in the morning. If they do not, they don't get to watch any tv or play on the computer until it is done. If they don't do it at all on a given day, they get money deducted from their allowances. If they are especially good at doing their chores, they get extra allowance.

Explain before you start something like this that you are doing it, and what you expect, and what will happen if they don't do it. Then be sure to follow through and enforce the consequences. It won't take them too long to get in line, if they know you are serious.

I am not too picky on how they put their clothes away in their drawers, as long as the good Sunday clothes get hung up so they aren't too wrinkled.

I LOVED Michelle H's response. In this case I honestly wouldn't go the "reward" route (Amy J,aren't you proud of me? lol) I think it is time for some negative reinforcement. Have the kids write and sign a "contract" spelling out the consequences if not followed (clothes taken away and mustbe earned back, for example). My Dad did this with me as a teen and it worked!

i had the same problem until i kept the durty clothes in a bag and akk of a sudden they had no clothes to wear. LOL now they bring them down from up stairs and i wash them. Every saturday they have to clean their roons and if they don't then they get grounded for a week from going or doing anything.
good luck

1 / 3