Kids and Phone Calls from Friends

Just looking to see if I'm being realistic or stupid! Do you think a first grader should receive phone calls from friends after school? What age do you allow your child phone privilages

why not? I don't see it as a problem. If they want to talk for a little bit-- I think its great for conversation and getting their social skills a little bit more refined.

I don't have a problem with that, it seems like a good opportunity to learn and practice phone etiquette. We're a bit busy after school, so I wouldn't let it go on forever, but I don't have problems with a polite conversation with a friend after school.

Having their own phone, no. Talking to their friends on the house phone - no problem.

At whatever age someone calls her. I don't see an issue with a child talking on the phone. Of course, for moms who get flustered by a child knocking on their door to play when no play date has been scheduled, I can see that a random phone call would throw you completely off.

Back off; let kids be people. We really don't need to schedule every minute of their lives.

Why not? I was unaware there was an age limit to talking to friends on the phone.

I could see if it was for hours on end, then I might limit how long, but not a little conversation. What a good time to teach them phone etiquette.

It's a little young but why not? As long as they know how to use the phone properly and politely, and don't stay on for hours at a time, I wouldn't have a problem with it.
Just make sure you set ground rules about how LATE friends may call, we had some issues with that over the years.

Never really thought about it. We never had it come up really. A neighbor child occasionally called and asked if my daughter could come over to play, and I had no problems with that. She never called just to TALK, but to issue an invitation (with her mom helping her, lol).

Other than that, I dont think either of my kids used the phone except for talking to grandparents and aunts/uncles that live out of town. Not because they weren't "allowed" but it just never came up.

My girls were taught to make phone calls at an early age and when they were in VPK (Pre-K) they would make phone calls to friends (as I sat there when the y would start the call to remind them of what to say - "Hi this is ______. May I speak to _____?" Then I would let them handle the calls

I see no problem with it

Sure, why not? Not all are ready for the phone but for those who are, a few minutes of chatter after school never hurt anyone. My youngest is in first grade and he calls his friends for playdates. It cracks everyone up when he leaves a message - you hear this sweet little voice going through the whole routine of introducing himself, who he's calling for, why he's calling, and how to reach him. Sometimes when he calls someone to get together, they'll stay on the phone chatting for a bit. The half of the conversation that I can hear is unfailingly hilarious.

1 / 3