Kids Always Sick Antibiotics Neccessary to Get Rid of Yellow Snot

Oh my Goodness! I feel like we live at the doctors. My son is sick again. He has a fever between 99-100.4. .He has a cough and runny nose that just turned yellow. I am tired of going to the doctor and putting him on antibiotics. If I take him too early they say just wait he will be fine if I wait a couple weeks it turns into a sinus infection or ear infection. Ad least that’s what they say it is and put him on antibiotics. I am wondering if he truly isn’t ever 100% better after finishing the antibiotics so it comes back. It could be a new cold ever time but is the antibiotics necessary. Does yellow snot mean an infection and is the only way to get better antibiotics or will it clear up on its own. I suction his nose because he doesn’t blow. I use the saline spray. He takes a multivitamin and Vitamin C. I make sure he is getting a ton of fluids and eating healthy I make him fruit smoothies and fresh veggie and fruit juice. I have been changing my air filters every month religiously. I have a humidifier in his room(which now i'm hearing is bad because it can have mold in it). When he doesn’t have a fever I give him a steam shower. I don’t know what else I can do but I hate putting him on meds every 4 weeks. He is in preschool which is were he gets most of it from but when he is sick he can't go to school. I am still required to pay so thats another reason i'm anxious to get him better. Any thing I can try before going to the Doctor AGAIN or is my only option back to the doctor.

i hate to say this but, its a part of being in daycare. I have 2 children that have both been in daycare and until they build up immunity to the germs it seems as though they continually get sick. I went through this with both of them. you can talk it over with the pediatrician, however i know that most peds don't prescribe antibiotics anymore than they truly need to. hang in there, it does get better and less often.

After my daughter got a RWI (Recreational Water Illnes) in Feb, drs had no idea how to treat, CDC had no recommendations (yes! I spoke w/ the CDC!!) I found myself at our local Herb Shoppe. I have since treated everything my family gets w/ natural remedies. Hear my heart, I am 100% for modern meds when required. After reading your post, here are my STRONG recommendations....all can be purchased at a local health/herb shoppe.

Please know that i am NOT in the health biz, herb biz. I AM a mom and wife and women that choose to get educated more and take control over my family's health to the best of my ability. I pray that these suggestions help. PLS contact me if you have questions. :-)

You can get ALL of this for around $50+/- and TRUST ME it is worth every penny!! We have not been to a doctor (other than that lake parasite) for an illness in 2 yrs - me, my hubby, nor our 2yo!

Silver Shield Liquid - Get rememdy sheet showing how that one product can be used for at least 30 different medical challenges (from fungus on feet to belly ache to ears and more!) Take as sheet will direct.

Nasal/Sinus Issues (from allergies, virus, cold, etc) - Get Xylitol Nasal Spray. A natural sugar that "attracts the sinus bugs" and when you blow after spray the bugs go to - NOT just the wet gunk. Follow up w/ a 1/2 spray of Silver Shield (put in spray bottle and keep handy for future)

Stomach Issues - Get (specific line for kids) Digestive Enzyme Powder. Give as directed per wt of kid/adult. Rebuilds the lost enzymes from vomiting, etc. Most kids lose 25% during an illness; my daughter had lost nearly 90% (shown in blood work). Literally takes a sprinkle a day for X days. The difference is amazing!!! (She had lost 2 lbs in a few days until we started this product!!)

Sick at all (kids/adults) - Bifadolphis probiotic (aka BIF). Take 1 cap 2X/day while symptomatic. It replaces and/or replinishes what good bacteria was stripped away during illness. THIS is the only one that DOES not counteract w/ antibiotics. The one most ppl take and talk about is Acidolphis - which is in yogurt, etc THAT counteracts antibiotics; and yogurt hurts a belly ache (i.e. dairy product)

ADULTS: Feeling yuck, kids have yuck, been exposed to yuck - Olive Leaf Extract (nature's antibiotic that gets to the source, not stripping u of good bacteria) Take 1 3X/day for 7-10 days.

EARS: Every time our 2yo gets out of a water source (tub, shower, pool, etc)we put one drop of TOPICAL EAR AID in each year. A garlic based herb product. She had 2 ear infections in a month.... none since we used this!

Hi C., I experienced the same thing when my daughter was around 2 (she's turning 4 this month). I was so frustrated that I decided to try the Juice Plus gummies that my friend told me about. They have worked awesome and she's been much healthier since she started taking them two years ago. They are made of 17 raw, vine-ripened fruits, veggies & grains, that's it! I was so pleased with the results, I chose to become a distributor. Feel free to do some research: www.lisamurphyjuiceplus.com and contact me if you have any questions.

L. Murphy
Cell: ###-###-####

It sounds like a very frustrating situation.

Does your son ever get a higher sustained temperature? Ask your doctor the highest that's safe. I, like many doctors, believe that it is important to let fevers run without medication. The body is meant to have them "burn out" the bad stuff.

Also, we stop all dairy and bananas when our son gets a cold or has a respiratory issue (we're lucky, they are rare and usually only one or two days). These are known to create more mucus. Also, we rub his back and chest with over-the-counter "Tiger Balm" and then "cup" his back to loosen things up (we pat his back with the Tiger Blam lid to create suction).

I don't know which kind you have, but some doctors will hand out antibiotics like candy, some only in the most dire situations. Again, every child is different, but we've found that the more we let our son's body handle his imbalances, the healthier he has become. Of course, if he was in great pain or discomfort, I'd be the first to say "bring on the drugs"!

By the way, I don't believe that "all children get sick when they start preschool." My son did not. He may just have an iron constitution, but it may be due to lots of exercise, good food, no drugs (he's never even had Tylenol), gentle medical care, and generally healthy living.

Good luck in breaking the antibiotics cycle soon!

I had a friend go through this same thing with both of her girls. They kept getting ear infection and colds and once off of antibiotics for about 2 weeks it came back. I told her that my childrens pediatrician does a recheck 14 days after the start of antibiotics for any illness (ear infection, etc). Most times they say everything is great but in some kids especially ones that have been on antibiotics alot the infection will still be there. So it never actually left just cleared up somewhat and gradually went full blown again. Since then she requests rechecks for her kids and they were able to see the problem and prescribe stronger antibiotics until the infections were completely gone.

That being said, yellow or green drainage from the nose does not mean infection. According to my pediatrician the color (clear, yellow or green) is based on how long it is from when the body produces it to when it leaves the body. That why the worst colors tend to be when they get up in the morning or from a nap.

So if they have an infection I would get the antibiotics but make sure to get a recheck to make sure it goes away.

C.,

I feel for you. I went throught the samething when my daughter was 2 1/2. She was going to school and she woulod come home and her nosae would have yellow snot coming out of it. I thought it was allergies also. I took her to the Ped. and they would put her on meds., then they ordered blood test 12 viles to see if it was allergies, then we went to the allergist and they said it was swollen skin in her nose so she wasn't draining properly. Within 3 month's she was on 12 antibiotics and I said enough I was so sick of it and felt like I should of done this sooner. I tok her to an ENT and it was her adenoids. They were swollen and she wasn't draining properly so it got backed up and that's why it came out yellow. We had hers removed and she has been yellow free ever since. I am not saying that this is what is going on with your son but I wish the Dr. would of suggested that this could of been it cause if you look at enlarged adenoids on line she had the classic symptoms. She would snore aat night to and that is how I knew another bout was coming.

R. j.

Don't go to the doctor so often. 99-100 temp isn't that high. If we all wnt to the doctor everytime our kids had a cough, runny nose or low grade fever health insurance premiums would be even higher! Wait it out a little, Tylenol and Motrin bring a fever down...it's not so great to give him so many antibiotics.

My daughter got sick alot last winter. She is also in preschool. Do not keep putting your child on antibiotics. They do NOT cure a cold and your child will become antibiotic resistant. Instead keep comfortable with motrin for fever, saline nose sprays, humidifier at night. If all your Dr does is give you a RX and send you on your way find someone else. Teach your child to wash hands. See if the preschool is sanitizing the toys daily. Colds just run there course. Flu is a differant story if your child has a high fever, body aches chills, seek medical attention. Hope this helps. I too took my daughter for every little thing. Now I go with the flow. J.

1 / 3