Kid Limping After Leg Cast Removal

Hi ,

Doctor told since he is still 3 years old, no need of Physical Therapy, he would stop limping after few days. My major concern, can I allow him to jump,run as earlier. Since he goes to pre - school, he gets tempted to do everything his friends do there

Ortho doctor we take him also as an PT with him every check up I go. He suggested no PT. I was wandering is it good to take a scond doctor opinion

My son was in a cast for about 6 weeks when he was a toddler. He had a limp and walked on tiptoe on that leg for a long time. Even now 8 yrs I will catch him tip toe walking on that side and limping every now and then.
Right now it basically is just a habit for him. You can try the massage and swimming but what helped my son the most was pointing it out to him. Then reminded him that he was fine and he could walk normally.

I am the queen of broken bones and casts although I am not proud of that distinction at all.
When you're in a cast, your muscles can begin to atrophy and the extent depends on how long the limb has been immobilized.
Even without formal physical therapy it seems they would have given you strengthening exercises to get his muscles built back up. These can be as simple as toe pointing and flexing his toes pointing back towards him. Squat excercises are good as well. Standing on tip toe and down and repeating that.....
Those are things you can do at home and he should take it a little easy for a week or so at least so he doesn't pull a muscle or reinjure himself.
It's hard to keep little ones down. Thankfully they heal much faster than when we get older.

My guess is that if his leg still hurts him, he won't run and jump more than he can stand, but I would alert the preschool not to allow him to jump off of equipment or run around like a maniac for a bit just to make sure all is well.
My friends kid sprained his ankle and to be safe they put a cast on it thinking that would slow him down. It didn't. And when they took it off he ran around like nothing was ever injured and there were no complications.
I would say if he complains of pain or leg cramps, that's when you know for sure he's playing too hard. My friends kid couldn't wait to get his cast off and never even limped after so it all depends on the severity of the original injury and how long the cast was on.

Best wishes.

After a cast is removed, the leg muscles have to get used to being out of a cast. When in a cast, the leg is immobile and not used... the leg may even appear shrunken or 'smaller' than the other leg.
Sometimes physical therapy is used, to help that leg get mobile again...

Check with your Doc, about how long... it will take for the leg to attain 'normal' mobility again.
But don't force the movements... your Doc should have given you guidelines on that and how to reintroduce normal activity.

all the best,
Susan

My four year old daughter broke her foot and we were told the same thing. The limping lasting for about 6 weeks after it came off. I noticed that she limped more whe she was tired and first thing in the morning. We went back at 3 weeks because I was worried and they gave her a walking cast to use when the limping got bad. That seemed to help the transition. Also, we were told no therapy at this age. But we did have to stay away fro sports etc until she was fully cleared at 6 weeks. Preschool was tough but I asked the teachers to be really careful with her. Good luck!

Sounds like he needs some Physical Therapy. The same thing happened to my son, a week after his cast was off I took him back because his foot was pointed out and he had to spend a few months in PT before he was walking straight.

My daughter did the same thing at that age. It's more about them not feeling secure to use the leg fully without the comfort of the cast. If your son is like my daughter, he'll use it fully when he's ready. Took my daughter 1-2 weeks before she wouldn't limp anymore.

I was an orthopedic surgeon (and now I'm a mom). I will tell you that kids won't do what hurts, so if he can run and jump as before, just let him. Kids find it strange after a cast removal. Suddenly their leg feels much lighter. But after a few days, it will feel normal again, and he will walk normally. In terms of PT, kids who are active don't usually need PT. However, I would never discourage a second opinion, especially if your son is still limping after a couple of weeks. Good luck!

My two year old just had a toddler fracture to her leg. She was in a cast for four weeks. My doctor said that it will take two to three weeks before they will walk on it well, and if after a month she isnt back to normal then she may need some PT. She told me no playground or rough activities since she is unstable and we dont want her to get hurt again. Pool is the best activity ( not easy since its 50 degrees out). My daughter is limping and at times gets very nervous and holds on for support and its been a week since the cast is off. I would be careful

1 / 3