Kid Birthday Party Thank You Notes

Does anyone have any time saving creative ways to thank other kids for the gifts they give to a child at a party? I normally write out my own thank you's for my kids, but also find I sometimes just "let it go" because I just run out of time and feel badly for not sending one. I also find that many of the other parents don't seem to send out thank you notes at all, which also makes it hard to motivate myself to do it. Is there a fast, creative way to get the kids involved to do something that isn't tacky (unfortunately I know I can't just zerox one generic thank you note). I could probably get them to write one thank you note, but the thought of sitting with a 6 year old boy and getting him to write 10 or 15 thank you notes sounds like a bit of torture for both of us (don't bother suggesting it is a great lesson for a child in thankfulness - my life/home/schedule is too crazy and it's NOT happening)! I do try to give a great goodie bag to each child, maybe I could just put in a small note with "Thanks" signed by my son? Has anyone else done that? Any advice or hints would be great!

Wow, I didn't expect so many responses so quickly!! Thanks to all (hmmm, where did I learn to say thank you from, as one of you wrote, when we never wrote thank you notes when I was a kid either :)!!!). I appreciate all the ideas so I can let all the parents and kids know we (both my son and I) appreciate their gift and attendance at the party! God Bless and hope this gave some others (especially the crafty ones out there) some good ideas too!!

Thank you for asking this question! I often wonder the same thing! Awesome ideas from everyone. My daughter is too young to do much more than scribble on paper. So I have been needing ideas for her b-day this summer.

Target has these thank you notes that are preprinted with blanks, e.g., Dear ___________, thank you for the __________.

Then all he has to write is the guest's name and the gift.

Hi Kim.....I have seen the thank you cards that are easy for kids to fill out because they literally fill in the blanks. Really easy for kids who know how to write.....and it saves you from having to think of something to say. I think the fill in the blank thank you note from a child would be better than nothing. Hope you can come up with something. : )

I take loads of pix of my kids. My kids are younger than yours though. Mine are 2 & 3. Anyway, I catch the kids playing with the gift they got or wearing the outfit given and snap a photo. Then I print the pic and on the back write something like -"I love it so much. Thanks!" Have my kids "write their names" - which are squibbles and sometimes if I'm really in a creative mood. Will have them put their thumb print beside their name that I write legibly. Most feed back I have gotten from this is really really good. As the saying goes.. A picture is worth a thousand words and you have a lot of great photos of your precious one having a good time or looking great. As for actually writing out the addresses, well, when I sit down to send out the invites, I go ahead and address an envelope for the thank you. If they don't show or give a gift, no biggy, I just throw it out, but then when I print the pix, I just slide them in the already addressed envelopes afterward and let the kids put on the stamps and put it in the mailbox. Kids like to see themselves in the photos too. Hope this helps you.

Keep it Simple and always remember (probably from your childhood as well as mine), Kids LOVE, LOVE, LOVE getting mail. It really doesn't matter what is inside, the fact that there is an envelope with their name on it, is thrilling enough.

Use fill-in-the-blank thank you cards and include a picture of your child with their guest in it. It makes a great momento.

My sister had a really cute idea one year. She had me take a picture of every kid at the party. She printed them and taped them to the front of the card. Inside, she printed "Thanks for a wonderful party" or something like that, signed it and sent it. So although the written note was not personal, the picture on the front was. You could also probably get your child involved in taping the pictures to the cards.

Typing out a generic note with a blank for your children (or you if they get tired) to fill in the gift seems perfect for your time crunch, such as "Thank you very much for the ___________. It was so thoughtful of you! Love,...." My friend does that every year and it I understand that she's busy so it's fine with me! Definitely send something though. :)

I'd much rather get a cute xeroxed thank-you note than none at all. I've gotten one I liked where there are spaces left for the child to write in, along these lines: "Dear ___________: Thank you for coming to my birthday party! I enjoyed having you and hope you had fun. Thank you for the ________________ that you gave me for a birthday present. Your friend, ______________." That's not too overwhelming for the child and gives a personalized touch.

I make my own by typesetting a something like this"
Dear_______________.
Thank you for the _____________. )And then add a closing line or two.

Thanks again, ______________(child signs their name)

It goes quick this way and you can do a few each day. I buy colorful envelopes at Wal-Mart or Target and size card to fit.

I think thank you notes are a social grace that needs to be revived, especially if the gifts are not opened at the party. Times are tough and time is tight so a taking a little time to right a show your appreciation is the right thing to do...that is just my opinion. Hope that helps.

1 / 3