KeepIng House Clean with Toddlers!!!!!

HEy moms I had a question Do any of you have a house that always Seems Dirty, I mean Writing on walls Light carpet Stains, Messes, BLA BLA BLA... OMG I Can't Seem to keep the house in order but Yet I Feel like I am always on my feet Cleaning I never sit, as a matter of fact I am setting now because the kids are taking a nap and I finished Cleaning 2 bathrooms, Its getting to the point that I avoid having guest over, just because noting ever seems to look Clean, only room that looks perfect is my bedroom, people do walk in and say Your home is beautiful but I just think there lying, I can see the writing on the wall, I can see my Dinning Chairs with Stains, I mean Do we have to Kid Prof everything, Plastic on everything. Just tell me a little about your homes and if you feel the same. and just a note my kids don't take food anywhere in the house but Hey reality is reality I have a 3, 2 and 7 month old, Sometimes they Run with Sticky hands or there Sippy.

Yah my wall look pretty colorful with marking and kichen chairs can't keep wipe down quick enough, I didn't want to have anyone over because I felt the house wasn't clean enough because of the colorful wall, that if I try to clean the paint come off and I don't have time to repaint. Well I decided to invite friend over anyway and enjoying the company and getting back to life.

My house is a disaster most of the time. I don't have company. Whenever it is unavoidable, it takes days to clean well enough and it still gets under my skin. I am learning to let it go a bit though. There are days I clean all day, then go to work. Then there are days where I just do the kitchen and spend time playing with the kids instead. I have an almost 5 year old and a 21 month old, plus a very messy, packrat for a husband. I am accepting that I just can't get to it all and work and be a good mom to the kids. I'm told this is a phase that will pass. I can't wait.

I am 42 year old and have two boys 2 & 4 years old (no where near as busy as you). I was running myself ragged trying to keep everything clean so one day I decided to change my perspective.

1. The walls filled with markings is their art rather than a mess.
2. A clear path to walk is considered picked up.
3. If the toys are in baskets it is clean.
4. If the kids are really messy, they are really having fun.
5. If the dirty dishes stack in the sink and you can still use the faucet then it is totally under control.
6. If the kitchen counters are free of dirty dishes and wiped down then it is clean.
7. If we have clean clothes to wear the next day then the laundry is under control.
8. If we have clean clothes to wear for several days the laundry is done.

Let's face it there will always be dirty dishes, laundry, messes, etc.
However, our children will not be this precious age for very long. RIGHT NOW, we are their entire world, they want to play with us, talk to us and tell us everything. We are their best friend.

One day the floors will be picked up; the dishes clean and the walls one paint color and I will definitely miss their art work.

P.S. I also use the basket cleaning method. I use smaller baskets and keep several around the house. It is easier to pick up and I just leave them sitting around the house, on the floor, against a wall or under the end table. It looks nice and you're not killing yourself walking everywhere to put the toys away. Besides, as soon as you pick up it is like a radar goes off in a toddlers head and they come and dump it out.

Good Morning.

My saving grace is called FLYlady.net! they have a whole setup for stay at home moms with little kids!... http://www.flylady.net/pages/FlyBaby_Preschoolers.asp

AND for the kidos... the House Farie! OMG. this so works!
http://www.HouseFairy.org/

FLYlady saved my sanity!
A.

Hi M. of Three! Does seems like it's an never ending battle...but, necessary...would love to share with you about products that will do the job without endangering your precious ones...email me for more info about Safer for Your Home Products that are Eco-Friendly and you can buy direct at wholesale (why should you pay to advertise someone's elses products?? ____@____.com

Mom of three,

I am a recovering "neat-freak." I only have one child, but was a single mom for over 5 years. This was a big issue for me for a long time, but I've pretty much conquered it and live at peace now with the dust bunnies, carpet stains and fingerprints on everything. The people who are coming over to your house are not looking at the stains on the chairs or the writing on the wall. They are there to visit you and your children. If they are judging the writing on your walls, do you really need them in your life? Your life and your house will never be quite the same after your three lovely children, and why would you want it to be? Try to let go and not let it bother you so much, Mom of three...it will all be over wwwwaaaayyyyy too soon, and one day you'll actually miss the writing on the walls. (OK, maybe not, but you get my point.) Take care!

Sounds like you are doing a good job and being hard on yourself. I think people generally do understand when you have 3 little ones and if you are doing the best you can, that's all you can do! I've had to learn to be ok with that. My house has been under renovation since my daughter was 2 weeks old...there's constantly dust everywhere, but that it is out of my control...I work from home and take care of my 3 year old DD, it doesn't leave a lot of extra time for cleaning. That being said, have you checked out http://www.flylady.net? She helps you create routines that will help you keep your house clean. She helps you get rid of the CHAOS (can't have anyone over syndrome) in your house. Good luck! N.

I know exactly what you mean. My house is always a mess and I only have one toddler. I can't imagine 2 toddlers and a baby. As soon as I clean one thing, something else is being messed up. My daughter is sometimes helping now. Usually I either threaten her. She does't like the vaccuum, so I tell her to clean up her toys or the vaccuum is going to eat them. Or I make a game out of it. Rewards are great to. If you clean up your toys, you can watch a movie or have a special treat. Good luck.

As already mentioned, check out FlyLady. Her system is wonderful and helps you get around to those things like getting the writing off the wall.

One thing that helped me when my kids were younger was we had a family room. So I put up doggy gates and the kids, dogs, and I stayed in that room for the most part. It helped control the mess some. I don't have that option now.

Be sure to check out FlyLady. She has so many methods to help you keep your sanity. One thing that drives me crazy is we have one wall that keeps fingerprints on it. I just remove them when FlyLady tells me to :-) She really helps you get into a routine with these kinds of things.

And with 3 little ones that close in age, there are some things to be expected when you walk into your house. I remember how clean my house used to be before I had kids. Well that's because I was only there in the evenings and weekends. I've been a stay at home mom and now homeschooling mom so it's going to get messier much faster since we're actually here so many hours of the day.

You have your hands full with these three little ones. Relax and just do the best you can for the house and don't worry about what people think of your house. If they think it is easy and your not supermom enough, give them a mop and pail. But serious, enjoy and sit on the floor and play with them. Before you know it they will be grown and out the door and you can have the cleanest house in the neighborhood if you want. I know as I had three beautiful children that I sat and played with and they are in their 40's now and love to tell stories about the things and time I played with them to their children.
They all have their homes now and mine is perfectly clean now (until they come and we have fun again) and when they leave in a day I have my house back all perfect again. LOVE & ENJOY

1 / 3