Keeping Cats off Livingroom Furniture

Any suggestions on how to keep cats from sleeping on furniture? My 2 cats loves to sleep on my cloth-covered sofas. The only way to keep them off seems to be covering the furniture with plastic; but that's SOOOO ugly. I've gotten "pet beds" to offer as an alternative, but they prefer the sofas. All suggestions are welcome. And no, getting rid of the cats is not an option -- nor is getting rid of the furniture.

Put strips of packing tape across the couch... couple of times of walking around with tape on thier paws for any amount of time and they will learn their lesson. Good luck!

No suggestions but I wanted you to know you are not alone. My cats do the same thing and I have learned to live with it by buying cheap throw blankets (washable). I throw over the part they sleep on and then wash them.

Enjoy them they give unconditional love.

We use the squirt bottle when we are awake and around the house. But at night or when we are away from home, we use aluminum foil. Yes, it's ugly. But it's also cheap and effective. Just tear off a few sheet and place them where they like to lay the most. After a while, we could stop doing both as they finally gave up.

Tough one, you can try getting a squirt bottle, fill with water, and every time they get on the sofa squirt them. I think this will work, but not sure if when your gone it will. Have you tried to put them pet beds on the sofa, maybe they climb into them? Cats just love to be up high. Mine love a window seal bed. Best wishes

the best way to keep pets out of areas you do not want them, you can get at your local pet store its called bitter apple spray, it does not stain or harm the cats if they lick it. They do not like the taste of it and once they discover it they will not go back in that area again. Hope this helps, good luck!

I can certainly relate to your dilemma. Cats naturally love warm and fuzzy, comfy places, especially where their people are. Thre can be a few things worth trying:
1. Spray the furniture with a citrus-smelling spray made for deterring cats. They hate the smell of citrus, especially orange and lemon;
2. If they have special places on the sofa to sleep, put a special blanket or towel down to limit their taking over the sofa. My cats love my knit throw, so I put it down and they sleep on that. And all I have to do is wash it. It certainly has minimized their cat hair on the rest of the sofa. Sometimes, you just can't fight them and expect to win.
3. This will be tough if you're not home alot -- get a squirt gun and shoot them with a couple shots of water, all while you are telling them "no!". Aim for them since they will definitely get the message with cold water (which most cats hate even if they like to play in water). You must be consistent however.
4. Set a booby-trap. Something like a loud noise, a popped balloon or something that startles them when they step onto the sofa. This way, they will learn that it's not cool to get on the sofa since it's very startling, and they don't correlate the "surprise" with you.
5. Striking them doesn't work and it's only cruel. they will, however, respond more readily to your shout and loud noises. They also really do understand "NO!" when accompanied with a loud noise (like the slapping of a newspaper or magazine against your palm).

I realize that cats have a mind of their own and they're often quite indifferent to their owners. However, being intelligent as they are, they can be trained thru consistent constructive discipline and diverting their attention to something they like.

Best of luck to you!
aly c.

I've used Grannick's Bitter Apple Spray. Spray it on a towel and put it on the couch or chair your cat like to lay in and it works great. I've heard of another similar product called Bitter Yuk that works the same way. Another spray that is supposed to be safe to spray on your furniture and is designed specifically for cats is called No Stay. The price on any of these is around $10.00 for a 16 oz. bottle.

I suggest getting a good vaccuum cleaner. Because cats are just like that, they are not going to stay of your furniure unless all you do is chase them off all day. I grew up with cats and they are not "trainable" like a dog would be. Dysons seem to be my favorite right now.

We love our cats for their independence. It's cute until they overrule our rules. You can try the water bottle and IF the cats WANT to decide that they're willing to behave it might be a good option. But be careful they might rebel and start doing other not so nice things to get back at you. They can be cute but they can also be vindictive little brats.

My best advice is to just invest in a good pet hair vacuume. I like our handheld dirt devil but you have to make sure it the kind with a direct plug and not cordless if you want enough power to suck up all the hair. Another suggestion is to brush or comb your cats. They might like it and it can really help with the shedding.

Good luck! And love them no matter what!
Jen
http://www.mommysjoy.com

1 / 3