Keeping Casts Dry in the Shower??

Hi Moms, My 10 yr old daughter is having surgery Friday and will be in a cast for 8 weeks. I have heard that there are a few ways to keep the cast dry for showering. Her cast is going to be on her foot and ankle - so it will have to be "in" the shower unlike an arm that she could hold out somewhat. Thanks for your help!!

Glad Wrap the kind that sticks to anything "press & seal" .. I have read somewhere on this board that it works.

my son broke his arm in the begining of the summer two years ago and we bought a aqua sock on line it seals the cast from any water he went in a pool with his cast it vacummed seals the cast and saved or summer good luck mother of 13 11 8 and 17mths K. d

Foot can be hard... I like the press'n seal wrap... you can create a really good seal. Good luck.
P.

My daughter broke her ankle last year, so I have a little experience in keeping the cast dry. First of all - I know she won't like it - but I would HIGHLY recommend she take a bath instead of a shower - and keep her leg draped over the tub. Next - it would be helpful, not just for the tub, for you to get the plastic bags that they sell that are meant for keeping the cast dry. They are not available everywhere - we got ours at a supply store in North Andover/Andover. Right now the name escapes me, but it is off Rte. 495 on Rte 28 South - it is just on the left, pretty soon after you get off the highway (tucked back in a little). There are all styles of these bags - some pretend you can even go swimming, but for us the only ones that fit were just regular "baggies"-type bags that were shaped like a boot. They are expensive, so we only bought four of them. When she took a tub, we put one on, got it all secured, then put the next one on to doubly secure it - and good thing, because the outer one always let a little bit of water in, but the inner one always kept the cast wet. The reason we bought 4 was because eventually, they'll tell her she can walk on the cast - THEN it is really tough to keep it dry when it is raining. So we had one set of bags (doubled up) to go to school in, then a dry set of bags (doubled up) for her to put on to come home in. We also bought an extra cast boot. She had one boot to be outside and have wet. This particular one had a closed toe. Once she got inside, she'd take off the wet boot, the plastic bags, and put on the dry boot (which was the one she got for "free" when she got her cast - which was open toed). Also, wish I had known this too - once my daughter started walking - she was really aggressive - she was even running - she started complaining that the inside of the cast was hurting. When I called, they said it was probably just a little loose because the swelling had gone down. I wish I had pushed the issue - because when they did take the cast off, it turned out she had totally worn away all the padding, and she was just walking on the bare cast and it was rubbing her heel practically raw. I don't know how she tolerated it. She clearly needed to get a new cast earlier, but they acted like her pain was normal. However, the girl who took off the cast said she'd never seen a cast worn out like that. So if your daughter gets very active toward the end, listen to her if she complains. Another thing you might want to buy is some REALLY big men's socks to fit over the end to keep her toes warm. The cold weather is coming, and if she's outside, her exposed toes will be freezing. We found the only thing that would fit over the cast were GIANT sized men's socks. Good luck!

P.

J.-
I am in sports medicine and I get that question alot.
If you have a bathtub, I would suggest baths for now. Showers can be difficult. If you just have a stand up shower, you can put a trash bag overr her leg then use packing tape to seal it around her leg. I know it sounds crude, but it works. Also try to have her with her leg out of the shower that will help as well. Get a plastic stool that she can sit on in the shower so she does not fall, then have her stick her leg out of the shower balaced on another stool (or trash can... anything will work),I know it sounds silly, but she will appriciate it, and it works.

E.

Hello,
My son broke his thumb at 2 years of age and was put in a full arm cast. I found Press & Seal Wrap worked great it's like plastic wrap for food but has a bit of tackiness to it you can find in in with the tin foils and baggies. It adheres to the cast and skin but isn't painful to remove. I would wrap the cast and skin about 2 inches past the cast with it then put his whole arm in a trash bag then duct tape the opening shut around the top of the cast. I also used the Wrap when he did art & crafts and played with things that might be too dirty or wet. Good Luck!

Buy this cast cover :www.castcoverultra.com . Works perfect!

When my son broke his leg he had a cast up to his hip and we put him in the bath tub with his leg sticking out. It wasnt easy but that was the only way we could do it. He was 6 when he broke his leg.

my oldest broke her arm at 2! it was awful, we used grocery bags etc. then, after her cast was removed I came across this giant condom looking thing that is made especially for keeping cast dry, you may find it in a pharmacy but you may also try a medical supply store, good luck!

1 / 3