Keeping Ants Out of the Houseplants That You Put Outside?

I like to put my houseplants outside when the weather turns nice but they always get TONS of ants. Is there a way to keep the ants out? Or do I just say forget it and leave them in the house?

S'M posted the other day about cinnamon to keep ants out.
Maybe mix cinnamon and coffee...that sounds so yum! lol.

I do the coffee grounds thing too, it seems to work most of the time.

Are they small enough to put them on a large plate that is larger than the base of the pot and fill the plate with water? If you make a moat around the base of the pot they won't be able to climb onto it. Certain plants attract ants so you need to make it hard for them to reach it.

This method also works to keep ants out of a food dish for outside pets. :)

I've put ant traps on the soil of the pots several weeks before bringing them inside which seems to work but it might be better to prevent them from moving into the pot in the first place.
When I re pot my plants I mix in a good amount of diatomacious earth with the potting soil. This is the first year I'm trying it, but so far mixing it into my raised vegetable garden bed has killed the ants that have tried to take over.

1 / 3