Keeping 9 Month Old Warm at Night- Sleep Sack?

Now that the weather is getting cooler I'm wondering how to keep my son warm at night without a blanket. He has some fleece footed pj's, but that doesn't seem to be enough. His room is the coldest in the house and I don't want to crank up the furnace when the rest of the house is comfortable! I've considered getting a sleep sack, but wonder if it will be too confining because he moves around a lot at night. And since they don't cover the arms, I wonder if his hands and arms will be cold. Do you have experience with them? Any advice? Thanks!

Thanks for all your great suggestions! I think I'm going to try a sleepsack first and move on to a space heater if that doesn't work.

My daughter was one of those kids as soon as she was asleep she would kick off her covers but then wake up becasue sshe became cold. I got a sleep sack form a friend and was the best thing ever. My daughter had a good night sleep and kept nice and warm.

I love the sleep sacks! I've used them with both of my kids and neither one of them was too constrained - they were both able to wiggle around well at night and even kick their legs and roll over. I've never had an issue with their hands getting too cold and not only are they safer than a blanket they can't wiggle their way out of it so it stays on all night!
Best of luck to you!

We had the same problem when my son was little. he too was stuck with the coldest room. What we did was double pj him. We put a regular pair of pajamas on first and then put a blanket sleeper over him. We also used a space heater in his room. It worked perfect for us.

We put our kids at that age in two piece cotton pajamas, with footed fleece or flannel pajamas over it. They always slept well. We only did it on the colder nights though; otherwise they just have a onesie with the sleeper or cotton pajamas. My kids move around a lot at night too and I think that helps them stay warm, so I wouldn't worry.

We've found that fleece footie-pjs with a sleep sack kept our boys plenty warm. There's been some research that suggests overheating can contribute to SIDS, so you don't want to keep the little ones too warm. Hands and feet might not be a good indicator because their circulation may not be fully mature, so checking the back of the neck will be a better gauge of how warm they really are.

My boys were both tall for their age, so we outgrew the sleep sacks pretty early. We just bought for our 18mo the Blank-eaze from one step ahead. It's a fleece sleep sack with legs instead of a "bag" at the bottom, so he can still walk and move around his crib, or at bedtime while saying goodnight. I can't say enough about this product! His pjs cover his arms and feet, and he seems pretty comfortable. We got by just buying one...we treat it like a blanket, so it gets washed 1-2 times/week, and we make sure to get it done in time for bedtime. Good luck!

We've been using a sleep sack on our 17 month old son since he was born. They are wonderful! We use the light cotton sleep sacks in the summer and the fleece sleep sacks in the cooler months. He is plenty warm at night in his footed pj's and fleece sleep sack. He also moves around a lot and is now able to stand and walk around his crib while wearing his sleep sack, so don't worry about it being too confining. I also think that it's helped with his nap and bedtime routine. When we put the sleep sack on him, it's like he knows it's time to go to sleep and calms right down. It seems like a very comforting ritual to him. Luckily, they make sleep sacks up to toddler sizes, so you can continue to use them until your son is much older. I hope this helps! Good luck!

I noticed that several people were concerned that a sleep sack would be too confining. My 16 month old wears a sleep sack for naps and at night (our house is always cold!) and he has no problem moving around. We have the Halo Sleep Sacks from Babies R Us. My son can roll around, crawl, and even walk (in his crib) in his sleep sack. Definitely not confining!

I don't know if this is something you would be comfortable with, but my children have a very cold room. My husband and I purchased a nice space heater with a temperature monitor. We set it to 69 degrees and it only runs when necessary, but it keeps the room very comfortable. Neither of them play with it, or mess with the plug ins(it is actually plugged in outside of their room and we put it inside the door at night). I know not all parents maybe comfortable with this, but it has made a huge difference.

Hi, I have a 1 year old daughter and we used the sleep sack every night until she could start standing in her crib and we loved them. They do have ones out there that have long sleeves but do not cover the hands, I think they are at Babies r Us. Hope this helps.

The halo sleepsacks are great. They come in cotton and fleece. My son used them until he was 18 months and I plan to use it with my newborn as well. I usually put him in longsleeved,cotton footed pjs andthen put either a fleece or cotton halo sleep sack on him. You don't have to worry about blankets and entanglement. My son was always comfortable in them. If you are worried about his hands, you could always try those mittens. Good luck!

Our almost 7 month old son uses a sleep sack over his footie pjs and it seems to work well. They are pretty roomy so he can still move around in it.

1 / 3