Keep My Little Ones Quiet in Church!

Hey, moms--

Anybody have any ideas on how to keep my 3- and 4-year-old daughter and son quiet during service? They love the choir, and when they were younger, they were enthralled by Pastor's voice while he preached, but now they get bored during service and get a little rambunctious. I've tried coloring books, regular books, and children's bibles, but they only work for so long. Any suggestions on quiet toys that keep your kids occupied for about an hour?
*Note: Children's Church/Sunday School/nursery are not options.

I was going to suggest snacks too, although I'd wait on those until the books, etc. stop being interesting. I might add a doll or stuffed animal that they could play with quietly. Good luck, I know it's tough to get anything out of service while you're trying to keep little ones occupied.

Two words for you --- BOOKS and SNACKS! They'll get what church is all about when they get a little older but in the meantime bravo to you for making a valiant effort! :)

Here are a couple suggestions: a product called Wiki-Stix (I'm not certain of spelling), which are wax-coated strings that can be bent and twisted to make figures or pictures on a piece of cardboard, completely reusable. Also colored beeswax that can be manipulated with hands to form almost anything. I believe these are both available from HearthSong.com. This is a great resource for quality children's creative products. When my children were young, I packed a small tote for each child with a variety of quiet things for church services that didn't have Sunday School and similar activities. If your church offers children's classes, I'd certainly take advantage of them as you'll all get more out of Sunday mornings.

Hi R.,

I think it's a bit much to expect a 3 and 4 year old to be quiet for an hour in a situation that is basically meaningless
to them.

Can you remember being four years old and expected to do that??

At our church kids that age are engaged otherwise, either in the toddlers room, the preschool room, or the Sunday School for kids up to 6th grade.

That way parents are getting antsy, kids aren't getting antsy, and everyone is happy.

R.

It is interesting that you would post this after my day yesterday. :)

I don't have an answer for you unfortunately but here is what I experienced.

Our church offers "sunday school" for the kids DURING the service. Therefore, my kids NEVER sit in church. My daughter has come to the beginning of the service for worship but then goes back into her class.

Yesterday was family day and ALL the kids were in the service. It was quite the loud service. It seems as though NONE of the kids know how to act/behave in church.

While I understand the scheduling with them going when we go, I think they need to learn how to sit quietly, listen and pray. It was very difficult for them yesterday.

And it takes away from the whole experience for me. I don't remember half of the sermon from yesterday. :(

I am going to read some of the responses - thanks for posting such a great question! I appreciate it.

Try a portable CD player and purchase some kids music cd's. There are some at the bible book stores that are all the bible songs. They could wear the headphones and listen to during church or putting kids music on a ipod. It might be fun for them especially if you make it special and they only get to hear the music during church.

I have a bag of books that we only bring to church so it's not like she plays/reads them all the time so it keeps her occupied. I have a colorforms book, a My Little Pony magnetic book and several lift a flap books that keep her occupied. We also have one of those little drawing boards (I forget what they're called) that she can only play with in church. And, of course, snacks! ;-)

Hi R.,

I am a single mom also. Our church has seperate services for kids held at the same time the adult service is going on. They hear the same basic message tuned to their age group. They also do a project relating to the message, pray, sing and have a lot of fun while learning about God and Jesus. Our church is Community Christian Church. It is a bible based non-denominational church. We found it through a friend while still going to a more traditional church. After going once, my little ones, at the time 2,5,7 said "Please don't ever take us back to that other boring church". After 11 years, I'm happy to say I haven't and we are all involved in various groups and serving ministries. When I was very ill and not able to drive to church, my kids, on their own, found rides to church because they did not want to miss service. That says a lot!

Take Care, J.

1 / 3