Just for Fun: ???S About Kids' Names

Did you have any specific criteria when you picked your names for your kids? I mean, obviously, we "tried out" names to hear how they sounded to us. But in addition to simply how "good" the name sounded, we focused on
a. We didn't want whatever name we picked to sound like either the name of the kid who was beating up people on the playground, OR the kid who was getting beat up. For us, that eliminated a lot of boy names that start with "E," like Evan and Ethan. No offense to anyone of course, it's just in fun.
b. We eliminated any name that was the same as any of our former significant others. Sorry, Rebecca, it was not meant to be.
c. We practiced saying the name over...and over...and over. If we didn't like how it sounded when repeated continuously, it didn't make the cut. Can't think of any specific examples for that one.

Also, what names did you NOT use? I always liked Logan and Nolan for boys, but my husband wasn't on board.

Finally, are there any names you just dislike? I can't really pinpoint why, and again, no offense to anyone, but I cannot stand the name Jaden (or Jayden, etc.). Seems like every 5th kid is named Jaden these days.

Seriously, people don't want to say their OPINION about names they don't like? If someone answered that question and happened to mention my kids' names as ones they don't like, I can't even imagine having my feelings hurt or being bent out of shape over it. I think that's a little odd. What's wrong with having an opinion?

My sons name is nicholas (nick). I have yet to meet a" nick" that wasn't handsome or just a all around good guy! It fits him perfectly!

We wanted simple, very boy names. We have a Ty and a Ryder and I LOVE the names and how they just "fit" my boys.
Ty has his Grandfather's middle name and Ryder has his Father's.

I agree with the Jaden thing! There are so many Jadens!

My daughters are named Cheyenne and Natalie. I wanted them to be easy to pronounce, easy to spell, so they wouldn't have to constantly be spelling their name. (I hate weird spellings). I chose names that sounded beautiful spoken and looked beautiful written. I also didn't want them to be too modern or too popular (like Emma, which is name I love, but seems like every girl-child I saw was named Emma- I didn't want to name my kid that- so I named my dog Emma, haha!).

I cannot stand any name that rhymes with Jaden...entirely too overdone.

I also dislike any girl name that could be mistaken as a fluffy stripper name - Bambi, Candy, Lexy, Skyler

I had names on my list that, while I liked them, I had former students with those names and they conjured up, shall we say, not so pleasant memories.

We did not want to butcher the spelling of a name. We also didn't want anything that made it look like we were trying too hard to be trendy and coming up with a 'cool' name.

We elimated ex's as well, then went onto family members (unless dead). This meant I didn't care if your 5th cousin was named Paul we are not using Paul. We also tried to stay with a traditional name avoiding Jaden, Cayden, Braden etc... Next to be sticken from our list were the top 10 boys/girls names from the previous year. After that game on. We would wake up in the middle of the night and say how about this? It was fun for us picking a name.

I really wanna name my next child Ava or Joseph. If there is one that is. :)

Our kids were named after family and our heritage. Luckily our families have awesome names so it was easy.

My husband's grandmother picked out our son's name which we happen to LOVE. She is 96 years old now and when we remind her of that fact, she smiles so big.

I just wanted something that was strong. Also, when he gets older, I want to ensure that he can get a decent job! Lol. So I named him Malachi prounced (Malaki) Its a biblical name. I've always loved the way it sounded so that's what I went with.

1. Tradtional names were our only consideration b/c our last name is very difficult to spell and pronounce b/c it is very German... no need to make it harder!
2. Family names (named after his grandfather, uncle and great grandfather)
3. Couldn't be shortened into anything "mean" sounding
4. Sounded appropriate for a toddler and an adult

Well, we accidentally gave our first daughter my husband's initals CS with her first and middle name....so we HAD to do it with our second daughter too, right? lol And we did. Then baby #3 came along and I was SO over "C" names, that we just did the CS initials with her middle names and gave her a name I actually LOVED.

1 / 3