Just for Fun: First Pets

I had a dog went my husband and I got married so that has kind of been our daughters first pet. She is almost two and does great with all animals. She helps feed, walk, and play with our dog. Her cousin recently got a few fish for her second birthday and it got me thinking what pets other families choose to get their children as first pets and at what ages. I'd love to hear what you all have done for your kids or if you aren't to that stage yet what your parents did for you and what you did or didn't like about it. :)

My kids' first pet was a cat that my husband and I adopted before we had children. The cat was great with the children when they came along - he had a personality more like a dog, and would follow them around and was very loyal. Never scratched or bit, even when they were a little too rough with him. He lived till about 16 or so - and the kids were just heartbroken to lose him. Since then, we've had a couple more cats (one died very young) and eventually got a puppy for them (actually it was more for me), but the funny thing about the dog is that while she likes me and the kids, she is much more bonded to my husband, who was never a "dog person." I think it's great for children to have pets, but they are a big commitment!
P.S. The only pets I had as a child were a pair of gerbils - we thought we got 2 boys, until one of them had a litter and proceeded to eat them all! Really gross. At least cats and dogs don't do that!

I had boys so we had lots of weird things like mice, tarantualas, snakes, a horrifying tokay gecko that escaped a couple of times and barks like a dog and bites to draw blood, rats, fish, crawdads, a couple of parakeets and the normal dogs and cats.
Except for the dogs and cats the rest were all phases.

My kids have, and have had since about 2 years old and onward until presently:
Fish
Rabbit
Pill bug
Lizard... (and the crickets and meal bugs to feed it, which is like a pet too).

We still have all of these. (if for example a pill bug died, we simply catch more from the yard. Cute pets. Easy).

My parents, got us, when I was a kid, we had:
Dogs
Cats
Horses
frogs (the common kind you catch yourself from a pond).
Tree frogs, which I had even as an adult.
Insects

My cat (living at my mums house after I moved out) half raised my son. 20lb (not fat, he was about as big as a cocker spanial) monster sized 1/2 manx 1/2 ASH. They'd chase each other around the house (once my son learned to crawl), my son would take naps half laying on him. They were best pals.

The first pets for OUR house we got were fish. They were *supposed* to be kiddo's "practice grief". Unfortunately the supposed goldfish were mislabeled and turned out to be Koi. ((Suckers are still alive)). Instead (man plans, god laughs) we've lost at least 1 beloved friend or family member a year since kiddo was 2 (the year we got our fish), and my cat -kiddo's best pal- died when he was 4 (at almost 20).

We got a Beagle when we bought our house about 3 years ago...that was our then 3-year old's first pet, but it was really more for me! :) About a year ago, she continued to ask for a cat...we broke down and bought her one. Then had to get another cat so the first one wouldn't wake us up to play at 3am! And now she has a Betta fish. She's very good about helping with them! She feeds them, plays with them, lets the dog outside. And she loves taking our dog for a walk! If she wasn't so helpful, I probably wouldn't let her get anymore animals!!!

When my daughter turned three my husband decided to get her a guinea pig. I did not have the fondest memories of a guinea pig when I was younger it was loud and stinky and bites. However I decided to give it a try and he has been the best! He's very friendly and squeaks only when he needs something. He's basically become my pet since I am the main on that cares for him. Any way we also have three dogs and two goldfish. Which are also great pets.

We had a guinea pig, and personally I remember it being a terrible pet lol. The cage smelled so bad, it "chirped" all night and banged the water bottle against the cage. And it had a tendency to bite us. Not the foundest of memories.......
Pets are big job! My kids will not get any animals that I wouldn't enjoy caring for! Because after the novelty wears off, it's just not fun anymore!

Well I grew up on a farm, so all types of pets were mine.
I had 3 main pets, these were the ones that would cuddle, and come in the house...
A cat that lived to be about 25 human years. It was the best cat I have ever seen, I still miss her. A little white shaggy dog, who lived pretty long but passed away from old age when I was about 12. And of course my pet chicken. This chicken was the coolest. I would toss her up in the air and she would flap down, she would raise her wing up for you to scratch her, she loved to just sit on your lap and be petted. She passed away from old age as well, but lived a really long time, and yes...the chicken was allowed in the house (just not overnight).
Aside from that we had turles, lizards, horses, goats, tons and tons of birds, chickens, lots and lots of dogs and cats, and cows at one time.
Pets are great for kids, I can't wait to get my daughter a pet. She already wants a dog. =) We think it's going to be her gift from Santa this year.

1 / 3