Just Diagnosed as Being Borderline Diabetic What Do I Do Now?

I was just told I am borderline diabetic. I am overweight and I know the first thing is to exercise and loose weight. I am at a loss as to how many calories and how much sugar naturally found in foods and fat etc. I should have. I have looked on line and have found some info but not enough to make me feel comfortable. I have already stopped eating bread and made myself some cabbage soup and haven't had any sweets since I found out Wednesday, no potatoes and I never drink pop I only drink water or decaffe tea's. I am the kind of person if they told me to stop breathing or I am going to die I would LOL. I have been afraid to eat anything since my Dr. thinks being a vegetarian would cure this. Just to be clear it is not my joints that hurt it is a muscle in my leg it locks up if I can't grab something I will fall it locks up and I can't walk. I am really upset that my Dr. said just loose weight and eat more fruits and vegetables and that was it. I am calling the office tomorrow, Monday and asking to set up an appointment with a Nutritionist but in the mean time I wanted help from you Mom's that are in the same situation. I have a problem with one of my legs it locks up on me and hurts really bad ( I never know when this will happen). I went to Physical Therapy which made other things hurt such as my shoulder, knee and my hip hurt all of which didn't hurt before. I need suggestions on exercise I can do that doesn't involve using my leg. I have a Wii and the Wii Fit balance board and discs. I love to do the yoga and I use to do the step workout and running but I can't now. Any help and or encouragement would be appreciated. I am scared to death about this and would love to hear from those that are in the same or have been in this same situation. I am taking Arbonne's Omega 3's, and vitamins so I am good there. Thanks Mom's

I met with the Dietician today she explained everything to me and I will meet with her again in a month. She told me it isn't about sugar and that I can eat things I thought I would never be able to eat again. We set up a plan and I feel better already. She also said my numbers aren't really bad at all and that is the way I want to keep it. Just to be clear again my leg is not messed up due to weight although I do know loosing weight helps a lot of stuff but mine is a muscle issue and it isn't my joint that hurts. I want to thank everyone that responded I appreciate it. If anyone finds a magic cure let me know. I think mine was caused from stress and inactivity which I am fixing both things now. Thanks again.

Meeting with a nutritionist is a great start.

I have a friend who was diagnosed as a Type II Diabetic but then changed his diet and walks every day for exercise. His doctor now says that no one would ever know that he once had that diagnosis. His diet is mainly vegetables, fruit, lean protein (chicken, fish, and egg whites), and very few carbs (bread, cereal, pasta, potatoes).

Yoga is very good as an exercise. Can you increase the frequency you do that? Have you tried Pilates? Can you do water exercises?

There is much information I can provide you. I've worked with diabetics and helped them to loose weight and maintain their blood sugars.

Because you are a member of Mamapedia, you receive a complimentary confidential nutrition consultation.

Send me an email if you are interested and we can set up a time to talk. We can do this over the phone or in person, as I see you are in Belleville and I am in Brighton.

I am also borderline after having gestational diabetes with my third pregnancy. I am glad you're going to call for a referral to the nutritionist. That is the best thing you can do.

Until you can get there, think low carb. No white breads or white pastas, no sweets, no sugary sodas. Think lean protein. Chicken breasts, turkey, egg whites.

As for exercising, have you tried swimming? You'd have to use your leg, but being in the water should make it easier and it's a great form of exercise.

Best of luck!

My first recommendation would be to go to your local library and take a few books out on the subject. I had gestational diabetes with my first pregnancy (10 years ago) and was forced to learn a lot about it. I recommend doing your own reading so that you can evaluate and question anything a doctor or medical professional says. There are many schools of thought out there and many of them are conflicting. The first nutritionist that I saw gave me a very specific diet to follow (remember -- I was pregnant) but that diet had so many carbs in it that when I followed the diet my blood sugars went up so much that I then went on insulin (non insulin meds are not recommended during pregnancy.) When I was pregnant a second time, the doctor sent me back to the nutritionist, and i initially refused as I had only seen her 18 months earlier. Happily, I did go to the nutritionist, but I saw a different person than the first time. This second person helped me read food labels and understand the idea of net carbs per serving. She also did not want me eating nearly as many carbs as the first nutritionist. With the help of some books and the 2nd nutritionist, I was able to stay off insulin with my 2nd and 3rd pregnancies -- which is statistically very unusual as typically gestational diabeties becomes progressively worse with each successive pregnancy.

As a first step, I would suggest removing most/all of the refined carbs (i.e., the "white" foods.) Try to cut out refined sugar and substitute a fruit for something sweet. If you must have a carb, have the most fiber filled carb that you can. Also, it is best if you eat your carbs with a mix of other foods containing protein and fat. Those other foods help slow down the absorption of the carbs and balance out your bloodsugar. Its really good to try not to eat carbs all by themselves, unless they are veggies or a high fiber fruit.

How were you diagnosed? Was it fasting bloodsugar, Hemoglobin A1C, or both? if you haven't had a hemoglobin A1C test (which is a blood test) you should have that done soon. Fasting blood sugar tells you what your blood sugar level is right then, but nothing more. HA1C shows you what your average blood sugar levels were over the previous 4-6 weeks, so it is a more meaningful test.

My dad was prediabetic and on all kinds of blood pressure meds. When he cut out refined sugar his life drastically changed (pastries , candy, soda, desserts...). As the weight dropped he was encouraged to make more changes, like going almost completely to a plant based diet. He did a 180! He also took a class called CHIP. Its a program out of Loma Linda University. They are always taught by physicians and start with a complete work up so you can mark your progress at the end of the class . See if you can find one in your area or one on-line.

http://www.chiphealth.com/

Unless a Dr. goes out of his/her way to learn about nutrition, it is not a very involved part of their medical training. Trust me, your dr. is not the person to go to for weight loss advice either. You are better off to get help from the nutritionist. But more than anything you need to be inspired to make changes, so start reading about improving your health. Skip weight loss books, there is too much conflicting information (eat bread, don't eat bread, eat lean meats, don't eat animal products......). Even on this very site, you are being given some pretty bad advice in my opinion. Best of luck to you weeding through it all.

Whole wheat, high fiber foods( make sure to look at the sugar/carb amount in them. ) the lower the carb and sugar the better. Also, eat lots of protein-chicken,fish( good ones are Salmon,especially). Load up on veggies like spinach, broccoli, collards. Blueberries are very good for you, as well as almonds. Beans. Meeting with a nutritionist will be beneficial for you. Omega 3's are very good for you. Drink lots of water, no drinks with sugar or the sugar free drinks.

Pilates was not nearly as hard or painful as I imagined. It helpes stretch and strengthen the core/middle of your body.

Updated

Just do not go sugar free. That is really bad for your body. Cut down your sugar intake by getting used to adding less to items like tea or desserts. When I make Koolaid I only use 1/2 of the amount suggested and the kids don't know any different since I have always done that.

Eating a bit more healthy is good too. Don't go drastic or you'll get bored and hate it, then revert back to the old way of eating.

Take it one step at a time. Going outside and taking a walk around the neighborhood, even if you have to do like Susan Powter did back when she was overweight and couldn't walk down the street easily. She would walk back and forth in front of her yard while her kids played. She lost a couple hundred pounds if I remember right.

Finding ways to go healthier does not mean doing without the foods you love. It might mean finding ways to cook them with less fat or to find a way that is less sweet but the process of finding these new habits should be fun and enlightening.

Everyone's systems work differently, so a nutritionist who can evaluate your particular situation will be the very best thing for you. They will talk to you about what to eat and what not to eat as well as what times of day, what foods to avoid in combination, etc.

You should know that many, many people are found to be borderline diabetic and it's possible to see this as a good thing. You know you need to make some changes and you CAN make them so that things don't progress any further. It may seem daunting at first, but it just becomes a normal way of life after a while and as you start feeling better, it will become easier.
THE MAIN THING is not to be afraid to eat AT ALL. That is the worst thing you can do. Your body will think it's going into starvation mode and turn everything into fat because it has to make a reserve for itself of some kind. If your blood sugar is already out of whack, that won't help anything.

You may be somewhat limited in ways you can exercise, but fortunately, there are lots of different ways to do it.

Try not to be scared to death. The nutritionist will be a big help to you. You may be surprised at the number of things you can eat as opposed to all the things you can't.
I work with a guy who is full-on, insulin dependent diabetic and he's always sharing baked goods and "treats" that he makes at home and are healthy and nutritious, but also quite delicious. There are certain breads that he avoids such as croissants, but he loves English Muffins and has no problem having those. You don't have to be deprived of everything or live on cabbage.
It really might not be as bad as you think.

Best wishes to you!

1 / 3