Just Curious What You Would Do - 5 Year Old Field Trip

My daughter has a field trip coming up this Thursday. Its at a venue where there isn't a lot of room and her class is going with the other Kindergarten class. This amounts to almost 50 students with 2 teachers and 2 helpers. At first they stated they were not inviting parents along as there would not be enough room. But then I guess some parents came to the teachers and have stated they will not allow their child to go if they can not go with them. This has made the teachers now allow parents who wish to come to put their name in the hat for a drawing. They are picking 3 parents per classroom totaling to 6 parents who are allowed to come.
(Also note they have stated that there will be other field trips that all parents will be invited to come along on but this particular one they fear will not be able to hold all these people)

Would you have a problem with your child going on this field trip without you? If so, why?

Ok so now I'll share my view:

I am a parent that said, oh that's a shame, but signed the paper with no issues even before the update about parents being invited. I know they actually split the classes once there into two groups. So my daughter will only be with her class and 2 teachers (and now 3 parents), which she is with on a daily basis. This is more of an outdoor place open to the public. But at 9:00am on a weekday I don't suspect it will be super busy at all. I went on every field trip with my daughter last year in preschool BECAUSE I knew that I wouldn't get the opportunity as she got older. I am full on trusting of her teachers and the school as they've done this for many years. To me its sad that some parents have put up a stink about it. I did not put my name in the hat as to give those parents that have the problem more of an opportunity to go. However, I've heard even with the extra parents invited along if they don't get picked their child is not going. I've already had the chat with my daughter that on field trips she stays with her teacher/class and I will remind her again on the day of her field trip.

I guess I just needed to ask, because I wanted to know the reasoning why some would not allow their child to go.

No I would not have a problem and I never had a problem with it.. Kids have been going on field trips since schools were invented..

I actually tried not to sign up so that the parents that REALLY wanted to go would have the opportunity.. I also remember my daughter loving experiencing these type of things and coming home and sharing.. If I had been there, I would have missed out on her version of how it all went. ..

There were many times the teachers asked me to attend (especially the out of town day trips), I knew most every child in the schools since I was extremely active on Campus I was happy to help out.

I don't see any issues with a kindergartner going on a field trip without the parent. I remember going on many field trips when I was in kindergarten and parents never went on the trips. 50 kids with 4 adults + 3 parents is plenty supervision.

I wouldnt have a problem with it. I went on the ones I wanted to go on and definitely didnt go to all of them.

Whew, there are some helicopters buzzing.... following a school bus to the field trip location.... gees... going camo to spy on your kids?

By K, the student knows the class "rules", etc. We also offer parent chaperones but only where there are 10-12 students/chaperone. We also alternate so the parents who would like to chaperone, have an opportunity to do so at one of the field trips.

You have to start letting go... look at this as an adventure your child is looking forward to. I can't imagine a parent keeping a child at school due to their fear of letting that child go on a supervised field trip. Wow, what a disservice to a child by the parent.

Trust that your child will be ok. Your child is probably excited and looking forward to this field trip. Don't take a learning experience away due to your fears.

Good luck.. I know it is hard letting go but it has to be done. Better to start slowly and get used to it.

Good lord! This helicopter parent thing really needs to stop! YES -my 4 year old in prek has already gone on 2 field trips this year, is going on another Thursday and another next Thursday! There are 2 parent chaperones asked to go as well as both prek teachers and both prek assistants. That's plenty! 3 trips are/will be to places in downtown Atlanta, and the other is to a large farm. I'm in no way worried any more than I would be on a daily basis. My mother was super over-protective with me, and I remember going on field trips in kindergarten that she didn't attend or ask to attend. By kindergarten kids know how to line up, follow in a line and behave. They know there are consequences for bad behavior. If mommy and daddy continue to go and hold their hand for everything, they'll never learn independence or confidence!

Wow! I can't believe the number of parents having issues with this! Maybe I am just a laid back mama, but I would have no problem letting my child go without me. It's not like I am allowing him to go somewhere by himself...he would be supervised, and if the school thought there were any concerns, they wouldn't allow the kids to go. My parents were rarely allowed to come along on our class trips and I turned out fine...I guess I would just be happy that they are having that experience and ask about it later! (As a side note, I would love to be able to go, but I certainly wouldn't pitch a fit if there were no parents allowed because of lack of space!)

Holy cow. Helecoptor parenting is out of control.

I would let my children go, and I would have taken no for an answer in the first place; my children have special needs, and I would still let them go without me.

This kind of thing just makes me crazy. I would not put up with it if I were the teachers, and would have just said "we will miss little Johnny at the field trip" and let these nutty parents watch thier child at home for the day so that everything was just perfect for them. If everyone cannot cut in line, then nobody can, or we do not have a line any more, we have chaos, and this is the same thing. Kids get bumped, brused, hurt, have bad days, and have times when they have to learn to be alone and independent and it will not always be rainbows and butterflies. Have you seen an 18 year old who just had a bad experience for the first time in thier life? The 5 year old fit happens then, and it is so much more misserable for an 18 year old toddler to learn that they can't have what they want every second of every day.

My husband and I are in our 50's. He is an upper level manager for his firm and a Navy Commander. He has been sharing with me how stupid the parents of his youngest employees and navy officers and enlisteds look when Mom and Dad call to complain about little Johnny's lunch break, or the accomodations in thier war zone rooms in Iraq. Seriously? When does it stop? The answer is...if we let it go on, it does not stop, and Mommy and Daddy get upset when Johnny does not like the food he gets in a war zone. Uhg....

My kids have been going on school field trips since they were in preschool. A lower than 10:1 ratio of students to teachers is absolutely acceptable, I don't see why they need to bring any parents at all, especially to a venue that is small enough to warrant concerns about how many they can accommodate. These are the same teachers who are in charge of the children every day, with two to a room, every day. Who better to trust?

I'd put my name in if I was really interested in the trip itself, but not because of any concern over the safety of my child. Considering the circumstances, I definitely wouldn't go on this trip because they initially excluded parents for good reason.

1 / 3