Jury Duty Excuses

I just got a Jury Duty thing in the mail. It says on it that an excuse for being a caregiver for an adult or a child is ok. But does that mean if I am a stay at home mom and care for my own child, does that count? I can't find or pay for a babysitter, also I drive my 6 year old child to school 25 miles per day.

Any thoughts?

thanks!

Well, I got the notice in the mail that says I am officially excused from jury duty for our county. This is what my reply was.

Please excuse me from jury duty on December 3, 2007. I am a stay at home mom with 2 children. I drive one of my children 25 miles to and from school everyday and take care of my 2 year old at home. It is impossible to find childcare for my son and a driver to drive my child to school.

Sincerly,
K. Cottrell

Yes, those are valid excuses, and they work. That's what I had to do and had no problem getting out of it.
Good luck to you. :)

I recently got one too. I wrote a quick and simple letter telling them that I'm a stay at home mom who exclusively breastfeeds. I also happened to be taking my daughter to the doctor and asked her if she would please write a note excusing me from duty. Maybe you could do the same. You could probably call your Dr. office and ask for a note without having to make an appointment. I think everything will be fine.
Take care,
V.

K.,

I was in the same sort of situation that you are and I got that same jury duty thing in the mail. I actually bring my daughter to work with me because I can't afford child care. What I did was write a letter to the Clerk of the Courts explaining that it would be a financial hardship because I work, and can't afford child care. Also, if you are planning on being out of town for any length of time, note that also. Good luck and I hope that helps a bit!

I'm not sure when you all had jury duty, but my friend had to go a few months ago and not being able to find a babysitter for her daughter was not an excuse. They told her she still had to come.

HI K.,

I don't know if laws vary from state to state, but a friend of mine recently had the exact same problem and was told that she had to work something out- having children and no sitter was not an excuse! She didn't have the money for a sitter, either, and since jury duty can be long term didn't want to ask a friend, and her relatives were all living in other states. She got a note from her doctor stating that she has a physical condition that would not enable her to sit for long periods. And that she is taking medication. All the truth. Medical reasons, documented by a physician, are the only excuses I've ever heard of working for dismissal from jury duty.

L. K.

I am a mom of four young kids, and I listed my circumstances with my own children (having to take my kids to school and be there for p/u and bus...and no childcare) as reasons, and I was excused. The copmensation they provide $13 a day? Would never pay for childcare and transportation, so they are likely going to side with you too. Best of luck!

My husband is a peace officer and I will tell you right now you have to respond to the jury request. If you do not and you don't show you can have a warrent out for your arrest and a 500 dollar fine. You have the right to be excused up to three times in your life time. I would be honest and if you absolutly can not go you have the right no matter the excused to be excused. Make sure you respond to the summons ASAP. Don't be afaid to write your excuse and yes child care is a legitimate excuse. I hope this helps.

K. -

I think being a caregiver for your own children ABSOLUTELY counts as a legitimate excuse. I don't know what I would do if I were summoned since babysitters around here are so expensive and since you never know how long you'll need to serve.

Hello!

I assume the rules are the same in Colorado, we just moved here from California, but I received a jury summons also and was in a similar situation. I just called the number on the summons told them I was a stay at home mom, had no one else that could care for my son and that was it. I just had to sign in a certain section of the form with my excuse and mail it back to them.

Take Care,
G.

1 / 3