Judging a Person by the Type of Car They Drive = Just Curious

Just out of curiosity do you judge a person by the kind of car they drive? I live in an affluent neighborhood and most of the ladies drive BMW, Jaguar, Mercedes, Lexus, Escalades, etc.

I’m the only Mom who drives a truck around here. It’s a black Ford F150, 2006 and I love it.
It’s a 4-door with a huge roomy back seat and I keep it very clean (on the outside anyway HAHA) Never fails though that a woman/Mom just HAS to comment on it. This past weekend I was in the long line at the grocery store. I was with my kids and the Mom behind me had her kids. We started chatting about how busy they keep us and it’s awesome how they always keep us guessing. She complimented me on my hair and asked who my hairdresser was and even asked where I bought my “fabulous jeans”…. She was just really super nice until….

As I’m putting my groceries away, she walked out at that time, saw my truck and said “That must be hard driving that thing! Is your car in the shop?” Me= No this is mine. She said “Are you kidding me. I figured it was your husband’s!!” rolled her eyes and kept walking away as if now I have a deadly disease. Actually it’s not hard for me to drive at all! I’m pretty slender but I’m also 5’8”.

Honestly this kind of stuff has happens to me several times.

It’s really started to bother me to the point that I told my husband I want a new car. Sniff sniff (LOL) Our truck is paid off so that wouldn’t make any sense of course. I’m a very down to earth type of person and I am just all around friendly to everyone regardless of what a person drives. I know people around here can be stuck up but turning your nose up at me because of my car??

It’s disappointing to say the least. I chose this neighborhood because of the award winning schools and the circle of friends/neighbors I have are like me, down to earth and always friendly.

What is your take on this?? Are these women stereotyping me? What do you think of a woman driving a big truck?

AWWWW thank you ladies! You're all so awesome!

I'm happy to hear from those that commented on what you think of a woman driving a truck! It made me feel better knowing that you see her as strong, independent & "HOT"! LOL

Also I appreciate you sharing your stories. I'm not going to let it bother me when someone judges me on my material possessions!

I love my truck and I'm going to keep it!!

Thanks again!!!

I think anyone who judges somebody by the type of car they drive, how they look or any other material way......are not worthy of being friends with.

Let the comment go....and keep driving the truck you love!

You write "I chose this neighborhood because of the award winning schools and the circle of friends/neighbors I have are like me, down to earth and always friendly." Well the schools might be award winning but I don't think the neighbors are like you at all!
I think you're spending a lot of time worrying about what others think and honestly--who cares WHAT anyone drives?
I've driven a Mustang, a Grand Prix, a Sable, an Explorer, and a Cadillac Seville and I don't think I've ever had a friend comment on my vehicle! Nor would I care if they did. I think I'd like an F-150......hmmmmmmm.....

I would actually enjoy the shock factor..I by second hand and always get compliments on my cloths, always tell them is second hand...
I so don't care what people think of me, drive that car....don't care what they think or if they walk away.
I do love down to earth people so much more.They are a lot of rich and famous people who love their trucks....
And you never know what is going on in these people's live, who knows, maybe they drive a fancy car, but the husband is cheating all the time and what not.They need that car to make them feel better...:)

Move to TX, everyone here drives trucks :)

People who judge you by your car (or truck) or your clothes, etc.... are just like the high school girls you went to school with. Shallow and self-centered.

It is cool!...Shows your tough, rough and can handle the open road, shows a woman of power. I guess the neighborhood you are in have prissy women and that's not lady like. But I also think it's natural to judge someone by the car they drive. It shows status, financial and otherwise, it puts you in a certain class and they judge it based on personality. It is funny though, I've seen a large person and expect them to drive a big car/truck, then come to find out they drive a miata (lol) or some other miniature car, then my first guess is how do they fit into it, they think they are young, they seem to be flashy, etc etc., or I would see a young kid who drives a mercedes and wonder how did they afford that, who is paying, must be a spoiled rich kid. So yeah, I could see where that mother judged you in that neighborhood as not being ladylike because women are not supposed to show power or being in control of men (appearance that is)...Personally I think it's cool to be a tiny person and step into a large truck and just drive...and to step down and look cute and lady like makes it even better..lol..I would not change the truck...but I guess if you want to not have them cause you stress, you do as the romans do.

O.K. don't judge me but I also drive a Ford F-150, black but mine is a 2003!! LOL!! I've never really noticed if anyone gives me strange looks because of it but I see women around my city (not far from you!) driving trucks. Sure it's not so common and like your neighborhood most women drive nice luxury cars. My closest friends/neighbors drive luxury cars and they couldn't give a hoot that I drive a truck! Although I do get a great laugh, and so do they, watching them try to climb up into the seat!

IMO I feel sorry for those that judge based on the type of vehicle you drive or for any other reason.

You drive your truck with pride girl!!!

I live in Orange County, too. Born and raised here. I'm what you'd consider a "down to Earth" type of person, too. I drive a 2000 Toyota Sienna or a 1996 Lexus. I'm the type that went on a backpacking trip in Costa Rica with my husband and camped on the sand. Then we stayed in a luxury resort at the end of the trip ;) ... I really couldn't care less what people think of me if they are judging me by my older, paid-off vehicles. Personally, I think people sniffing about your truck, as they drive off in their leased Mercedes, aren't worth another thought. You would consider buying a different vehicle just so the Newport faux-elites won't turn their rhinoplasty-enhanced noses up at you? I learned long ago not to worry what people like that think of me or my material possessions.

A Girl And Her Truck Is a Beautiful Thang!! :)

1 / 3