Joint Birthday Party for Cousins

Hi! We are having a joint 1st birthday party for my son & niece and are trying to decide how to word the invitations. We don't want to come right out and say you only need to bring a gift for the kid you know, or anything like that talking about gifts. But we also don't want people to come & not know that it's a joint party. Any ideas?

Thanks for all of your input... we decided to just do one invitation for everybody. We worded it to put on it that they're cousins, so everybody would know who the other baby was, but didn't put any mention of gifts or anything. We figured it was easier than trying to do 3 different invitations. Hopefully it will work out! =0)

I wouldn't be afraid to just lay it out. Something like....."Gifts are unnecessary, but if you would like to bring a gift, please only bring for the baby you know!"

Hi, D.:
The invitation would address that their will be a birthday party for your son and your niece.

Leave if up to the person whether they wish to bring one, two, or no gifts.

Thanks for asking. D.

I had this same situation and my solution was to put both children's names on the invitation and then I personally added a post-it note on the invitations for my friends and family that would only know my daughter. On the post-it I explained who the other baby was and that we were having a joint birthday party. No one brought two birthday gifts!

I went to a joint 3rd bday party for cousins recently. The invitations actually didn't mention that it was a joint party for that very reason. When I got there and found out it was a joint party, it wasn't awkward at all. I don't think anyone felt uncomfortable for not knowing it was for both kids and probably were all happier not to have known in advance, as it may have made us feel obligated to bring a second gift (even if the invite said not to). So honestly, I don't think you need to mention it on the invite.

You might want to consider doing separate invites, except for family. The party is mostly for the adults at this age, so I wouldn't stress about it too much. The only place that it will be apparent is during the cake- two names or two cakes? Aside from that, the parents open the gifts- we did my son's the day after the party. It was very overstimulating having a huge group of people and the little guy fell sound asleep soon after the guests left.

My son shared his first birthday party with his (girl) cousin who turned 2. We sent an evite to everyone, the family members who we shared plus those who might have only known my son or her daughter. We did say that it was a birthday party for both of them ("Celebrate Geordan's first and Catherine's second birthdays!!!"), but we didn't say anything about gifts. No one felt like they had to buy for the child they did not know. People are going to do what they want to, anyway, whether they buy both kids gifts or not. Her in-laws even bought my son a gift card. They didn't have to and we didn't ask them to, but they did. I am sure you will find the same thing. We didn't have a theme b/c it is hard to do with a girl and boy party, but they each had their own birthday cakes and we took turns singing to each child. I had a banner made from Oriental Trading that said "Happy Birthday Geordan and Catherine," that way, if our guests didn't know it was for both kids, they knew it now! I think it was a great party and they will most likely share bday parties til they are old enough to decide what they want on their own. Hope that helped!

D.,

Is there a chance that many of the guests DO know both kids?

Personally I think it would be kind of cute to say something like:

"Gifts optional, but only for the KID you know".

Then people would get what you mean, but I suspect they would bring a little something for the other child anyway.

Blessings..

i'VE HAD JOINT BIRTHDAY PARTIES, COMMUNIONS ECT. sEND FAMILY THE INVITATION WITH BOTH KIDS NAMES. THEN ANY KIDS U INVITE SEND SEPERATE INVITATION AND THE KIDS THE OTHER COUSIN INVITES SEND GIFTS. yOUR CHILD WILL GET GIFTS FROM HIS FAM AND FRIENDS AND THE OTHER COSIN WILL GET HIS AND SOME PEOPLE WILL BUY FOR BOTH BECAUSE THEY WANT TO.

1 / 3