Jogger Stroller Versus Regular Stroller

I recently had a baby and want to start jogging again. I am wondering if I need to buy a jogger stroller or if I can use the regular stroller? Anyone have any good recommendations for a jogger stroller?

Thank you everyone for all your advice and suggestions to check out the minimum age for when to use the jogger. After doing some more research, it looks like the joggers are not recommended until baby is 6 months old. So, in the meantime, I will enjoy my walks with baby and try to sneak in some runs when daddy's home:) Thanks again!

I have two kids and love to run as well. I bought a jogging stroller when I had my first, but had a lot of trouble with it because it can be difficult to steer.
I love the jogging stroller for rough terrain and stroller strides-a program held over at Washington Lake Park.
The brand Bob is very good.

My daughters are now 6 and 8 so I no longer need a stroller but....
When they were little, I preferred a jogging stroller. You can use a regular one but they just don't seem to ride as smoothly as a jogging stroller. In fact, I have one sitting in my storage area if you are interested. It may be a little dusty but it is in perfect condition otherwise.
Let me know if you are interested and make an offer.

Congrats on the little bundle of joy!

Since you said that you just had a baby, beware -- most of the baby joggers, as I recall, indicated that babies under one year should not be in them. Check carefully before you purchase.

Hi, first thing you need to do is talk to someone before you buy a jogger from just any store. I teach mommy and baby and stroller fitness classes and one of the other instructors bought what she thought was a jogging stroller (the Jeep stroller with the music player) and had problems running with it in class. She was told by someone at the store that it is a "jogging type" stroller not a jogger and that it's not meant for jogging (much to her surprise). So, if you are going to jog you will need a real jogging stroller.

Second, it's best to get a stroller strictly for jogging or running. The strollers that have the wheel that lock are not safe if you are jogging/running. The wheel may come unlocked and cause your stroller wheel to swivel while you are jogging...more than likely causing a fall for both you and your baby.

For an article on choosing a jogging stroller read http://www.babybootcamp.com/pages/fitness_detail.aspx?fci...

I hope this helps!

Congrats on the little bundle of joy!

I would definately go with the baby jogger. I had the Kool Stride and LOVED it. When my boys were really really little, I put in one of those pillows that go in the car seat to give extra support to the head and kneck. Its light weight, adjustable, foldable. I bought mine 10 years ago and it was expensive then, so they maybe a lot now. But it lasted through all my three boys and then I passed it on to someone else. Have fun!

A jogging stroller will be more comfortable and offer a smoother ride for your son. A regular stroller is more appropriate for the mall, or just walking. I also suggest one where you can either leave the front wheel straight, or let it swivel. Then you can use it all of the time, and forgo the regular stroller. One will air filled wheels instead of all plastic wheels will also be more comfortable for you and your son.

hi..
i don't know if anyone's mentioned this, but please be careful putting a new baby in a jogging stroller... in fact, it's not recommended for babies under a certain age as the bouncing can be harmful to them.
also, it's a good idea to wait a little longer before you start jogging and doing anything that "jostling" to your post-baby body as your organs are still settling back into place. something lower impact is a good idea...walking briskly is even better at this point. don't worry, it won't be long before you're able to do everything you used to.
check craigslist for jogging/jogger/running strollers... there are often a number of barely-used ones listed for a reasonable price.
all the best!

I am not a jogger and have always just used a double, umbrella, or carseat combo style stroller. I have tried to pick up my pace before to cross a street or some such thing and the wheels get extremely wobbly. Plus if you try to take too big of a step, you might actually step on the stroller. The joggers have more space for your stride. I think if you really plan to jog, you'll want a jogger - sorry, can't suggest beyond that.

I am the mother of 10 children ages 10 months - 21 years. I needed a new stroller and recently bought a Schwinn jogging stroller. Mine is a twin, but it is absolutely the best stroller I have ever owned. I regret not having bought one with my first child. It is great for jogging and rough terrain, but bulky for travelling and indoor activities (i.e. - shopping, library, etc.) Hope this helps!!

1 / 3