Jobs That Don't Require a Lot of Schooling?

So I'm asking for my bf he wants to get out of the laboring job he has and start a new career. So what are great jobs that don't require years of schooling. So far I've got an
ultrasound tech- 2 years
phlebotomist-10 weeks
...so what else?

one and done- agreed I don't want to tell him what to do he was wondering what jobs requie little schooling and then was going to go from there and research. Hes good at hardscaping and masonry- he enjoys the detail oriented work, but doesn;t want to do the back breaking work that goes along with it

He needs to contact a continuing education school, technical college or regular college and speak to a counselor. There are tests he can take to show where he shines. They take his personality and abilities and show him what careers will worrk best for him. Then he can start a program.

Respiratory therapist or message therapist. I know people who did both of those with very little schooling.

He can get an insurance license after a 3 day class and really difficult state exam. He will never be without a job again. Licensed agents are always in demand. Starting salary is around 33k in Texas. There are bonus opportunities and you can go on to be an adjuster - some of them bank over 100k but they travel alot. They follow storms.

Another idea is to go to the local chapters of journeymen labor unions. He could get a paid apprenticeship to be an electrician, plumber, etc. You get paid while you earn your way up the levels.

Also airline mechanic. You can take a class to work on airplanes, and helicopters. They make a whole lot of money! But they go through frequent layoffs.

one more - my brother said there is big demand for certified techs to maintain wind tubines. The class is less than a yr, I believe and it pays very well. It's new emerging technology so there should be a great future in it.

We are doing the same thing right now, but my husband who already has a degree, is looking at something that take more like 4-5 years, (nurse anesthetist), stressful.

Ultrasound techs can make decent money actually, depending on where you work:
http://www.insertt.com/x-ray-technician/ultrasound-techni...

Phlebotomist does not make much money at all, I would stay away from that one. It is good for people who need to work, and purse more college in the meantime, but not for a longterm career:
Average wage is 26,710 to $38,950 per year

Our friend who was a college grad and couldn't find work, J. finished dental hygienist school. It's 2 years and makes pretty good money.

X ray techs can make decent money.
http://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=X-Ray_Technician/...

The medical field has some good options, but a lot of those tech jobs still don't pay much, but they are good at advancing his career if he wants more formal training into the medical field. Stay away from medical transcription or anything like that. Be sure you go to a reputable school that is accredited. Many schools that offer these degrees can go bankrupt and
close down any time, so he would be out his money and degree. It has happened to two of my friends so far.

As for his skills in masonry, he could always become a contractor or manager in that field.

I think the first thing he has to establish is what it is he is interested in doing! Can he talk to a career counselor? Take a job aptitude test? Usually the dpts of (un)employment can help there....

J. because you can "become" an ultrasound tech in 2 years, doesn't mean he wants to do that for the rest of his life!

There are lots of people out there making money at ALL kinds of different things that they are interested in, talented at, etc.
What are his strengths, weaknesses?
What types of hours does he prefer to work?
Is he willing to work holidays? Weekends? Etc.?

ETA: Pittsburgh can't GET bricklayers! They make a TON. But it IS hard work.

It really depends on how much he expects to earn. If he wants a good paying job that is steady then the jobs you have mentioned might be good as far as the steady work aspect. But as for pay, most of my medical tech friends work at least one other job to help pay the bills. They work their shift at the hospital or doc's office then they go to their work at the Grocery store, the Dollar Tree, or Sonic. They J. don't make enough money, the one female friend's husband makes fair money so she doesn't have to work a second job but the guy friends all do at least a second job.

Any job that pays well requires training and / or experience. An employer is not going to pay alot of money unless you bring something to the relationship.

I am now paid well for my part time job becuase I sacrificed many years to get and pay for an education, then paid my dues doing all the stuff no body else wanted to do. Now after many years and lots of experience my employer pays M. for all that experience and education. It takes time.

If your BF is not one to do well with formal education (my son struggles with school but he's great at many other things) then he needs to get into an internship program as a plumber, electrician, HVAC technician, auto mechanice, home-repair person, tec. But none of those will pay well until he's gotten formal training and has worked under an experienced person for a few years.

in my experience the best way to move "up" is to be a great employee and do well at your entry level position - and be patient. things open up. that entry level warehouse job can lead to a career in warehouse management. there's really something to be said for good old fashioned hard work and dedication. it seems to M. so many people these days want to make a ton of money right out of the box. not very realistic, but very indicative of the instant gratification society we live in...

but there are also tests online that he can take to help him decide which things he'd enjoy and be good at - google "career aptitude tests". going to school and getting some kind of certificate or degree does not guarantee contentment or even that he'll use that certificate for long. i know PLENTY of people who graduated school or nearly did and ended up doing NOTHING with that little piece of paper. i hope that he is a little more mature and can settle on something worthwhile. good luck to him!

1 / 3